Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost uninstalled but don't know how to get disk space back (Read 4344 times)
Richard Xeon
Ex Member

Ghost uninstalled but don't know how to get disk space back
Oct 22nd, 2008 at 2:32pm

My computer came with two identical 160 gig hard disks and Ghost (version 10 I think) already installed.  Ghost started reporting lots of errors, and failed while installing updates, and I finally gave up on it.  I uninstalled it but I don't see how to get the disk space back.   Drive C has 108 gigs total space and drive D has ~38 gigs total space reported by Windows XP-Pro.  Perhaps those are partitions on the same disk.  The disks are referred to as an Array.   Does Windows support RAID? 

I want my two 160 gig disks back so that I can remove one and install my new 1Tb secondary drive.  How do I seperate them without losing my data on Drive C?  Reformatting means reinstalling and reconfiguring everything which would be extremely time consuming and I really can't afford to do that right now.

Thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Ghost uninstalled but don't know how to get disk space back
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 6:45pm

This Topic was moved here from Norton Ghost 14, Ghost 12, Ghost 10 + Ghost 9,  including Norton Save + Restore by NightOwl.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost uninstalled but don't know how to get disk space back
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 6:59pm

@
 Richard Xeon

Yes, Windows supports RAID.  Yes, it looks like you have two partitions dividing up your 160 GB HDD.  And you most likely have RAID 1 (mirroring) set up--that's where two HDDs have the identical information saved to each in a redundant fashion--if one where to crash, you could simply remove the dead drive and the other would carry on as if nothing had happened.  (Of course--if you get a virus saved to your RAID 1 array--then both HDDs are equally infected!!!  So, this redundancy does not serve as a *backup* of the system's prior state that can be restored--if you save something so one drive, it is also saved to the other.)

To *break* an array, you should see a brief screen during boot that says to hit a certain key combination to enter the RAID configuration utility--what exact wording you see will depend on your system.  You should be given several choices, one of which is to delete the *array* so that the two disks are just two separate disks.  If you do that, I would immediately shut down the system after exiting the configuration utility, and disconnect the HDD that's in the *slave* position on the IDE comm ribbon (the middle connector--not either of the ends!)--or disconnect the HDD connected to the secondary HDD controller--that's for older style parallel IDE HDDs.  If SATA, then I think you would just disconnect the HDD that's on the secondary controller.

If you're not sure what you're doing or how things are setup on your system--I would spend some quality time learning how it is setup before proceeding with any major changes!!!  And, it's always a good idea to have an *actual* backup available should something go wrong, or there is a *user error* that causes major HDD problems during a re-configuration of your system.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print