Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
g2003 Problem, Urgent Help greatly appreciated (Read 6005 times)
hammer
Dude

I Love Radified!

g2003 Problem, Urgent Help greatly appreciated
Oct 29th, 2008 at 7:07pm

Hi, i am very new to Ghost and i need some help from the more experienced users.
my question my be very silly, but it has baffled me for days.

i have ghost 2003 and Xp as my OS.
i want to make an image on a second HDD.
once i have made the image on the new HDD, how do i boot to ghost.exe so i can restore the image?
i have tried to make a boot disk using the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard, but when the pc starts, it tries to boot to the floppy and then i get an error, telling me to press any key to restart. i.e. i dont get a command prompt to allow me to run ghost.exe

so my question is: How do i run ghost.exe so i can restore my image, bearing in mind that i have Win XP(NTFS) and that doesn't support MS-DOS?

any help is greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

PS: in addition to using the wizard to create a boot floppy, i made an MS-DOS start up disk(by right-clicking a: the format and ticking "crete MS-DOS..."). i managed to boot to the disk, but obviously that doesn't have ghost.exe on it.
i even tried swapping the MS-DOS disk with the ghosts boot disk half way through, but it never worked.
i managed to see the contents of the disk, but not able to run ghost.exe. it just hangs.

IP Logged

pdblues2231
Dude

I Love Radified!

New York

Re: g2003 Problem, Urgent Help greatly appreciated
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 8:57pm

well. there are many ways to accomplish what you want and its quite simple. you may use ghost32 to copy the image on the 2nd hdd. Or you may use a windows 98 boot disk to get your prompt at which point you may load ghost.exe and then proceed with your image creation. Like I said there are many ways.

pdblues2231  
IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 5:12am

Hammer,

Is, or will, the second HDD be an internal IDE drive? Is it a serial or parallel drive? What's already on the second HDD? An operating system or just partitions, or maybe nothing at present? What are the respective sizes of the HDDs and will your PC's BIOS support the second HDD?

It might help us if you were also to determine the Build of Ghost 2003 you're using? Is it 793, or earlier? Open Ghost and look in Help/About Ghost 2003, to find out.

Whether and how you make an image to a second HDD will be determined by your particular setup, so you need to give us more information.

Normally, you wouldn't need to run MS-DOS. The default DOS environment of Ghost, PC-DOS, is usually sufficient. From the Ghost point of view, it's more a matter of starting with a reliable up-to-date Build and then, depending on your setup, setting the correct options when making the boot floppy.

IP Logged

aw13973
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

irvine ca

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 7:51am

simplest way imo follows.
set jumpers at cable select on both hard drives.
keep your old hd in master position of primary cable.
put new hard drive in slave position of primary cable.
make boot disk using boot wizard, choosing standard boot disk.
choose pcdos.
set your bios to boot from floppy.
boot from the floppyg3 you made.
follow along DISK to DISK disk clone.
WHEN FINISHED, CHOOSE CONTINUE, THEN SHUT DOWN COMPUTER USING POWER BUTTON.  REMOVE old HD.  PUT new HD IN MASTER POSITION OF PRIMARY CABLE
if any question, stop, write down choices, and post back here.

best regards

wp

aka alan

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 8:55am

Not withstanding any crucial info you've not given us, Hammer, I agree withaw13973, though you did state that you wanted to make an IMAGE, not a clone. I therefore presume you want to make a single file image (compressed or uncompressed), not a disk clone. Indeed, you might be wanting to make a PARTITION image.

Are you sure you, as yet, understand the difference between IMAGING and CLONING?

IP Logged

hammer
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:58am

Many Thanks to you all.
apologies if i didn't provide enough info, as i said, i am new to this.

fortunately, i have managed to get it working. i was doing everything like i should, but the boot disk i created using the wizard was not working properly. i created another one and everything made sense.
when i wasn't able to boot into PC DOS, i though i was doing somthing wrong, but it was just a case of using a faulty floppy.

once again, many thanks to you all.

PS: voximan, as far as i know, cloning is when you make an exact copy of one HD onto another HD, without compression. where as imaging is taking a compressed snapshot of the HD, either to another HD or a partition on the same HD in case the current HD/Partition breaks, so you can simply replace it.
pls advise me if i am wrong, as i find all this info very valuable. prior to using ghost, i was always installing XP from scratch and it was hell. ghost saves soooooo much time. its just amazing.

once again thanks to everyone.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 8:28pm

i agree with above.

don't mess with msdos.

it requires 2 disk boot.

as far as i know needing a 2 disk boot is the biggest drawback to using g 8.x

keep us posted.

we can all learn from each other.

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 7:55am

Hammer,

Yes, your understanding of the difference between cloning and imaging is absolutely correct.

Am pleased to hear that you got it going, in the end.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print