Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Page reloads (Read 29954 times)
Christer
bermensch

Sweden

Re: Page reloads
Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 7:42am

I have installed IE7 and all updates. The situation with Acrobat is the same as before. The log-file below my shed some light but I still don't see:

Quote:
%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
%%[ Error: rangecheck; OffendingCommand: endcidrange ]%%

Stack:
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()
-mark-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
bermensch

Sweden

Reply #16 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 8:25am

Regarding the reloading issue:

On IE7, when clicking the "new" label, the page loads and sticks to the first new post but it still seems to reload. The progress bar (with the green squares) appear twice and I have to click the back-button twice to get back to the main page of the subforum.

To recapture, on IE6, when clicking the "new" label, the page loads twice and sticks to the top post on the page. Clicking the back-button once and it gets to the first new post. Clicking the back-button a second time brings it back to the main page of the subforum.

In both cases, I have to click the back-button twice to get back to the main page of the subforum. This indicates to me that it's the same ... Roll Eyes ... but different ... Huh ... !

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
bermensch

Sweden

Reply #17 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 10:30am

My memory is teflon coated ... Embarrassed ... we have chewed on this before:

IE7 + Acrobat Distiller

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
bermensch

Sweden

Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 10:18am

I have an update on the PDF issue:

Installing IE7 does "something" but I still don't know what. No matter what, the formatting in Access of the text in the vertical labels gets altered (stretched out).

When on IE6, I installed CutePDF Writer which is a basic "converter". It works with Access and vertical labels. I installed IE7 "on top" and Cute still works but I will have to redo the formatting in Access of the labels and other text if I'm going to stick with it. Adobe produced the usual error message.

Next, I installed Bullzip PDF Printer which has more features. Regrettably, it couldn't handle the vertical labels. They came out garbled. (I never installed Bullzip pre-IE7 and don't know if it works with IE6.)

Now to the surprise:

When I tested Adobe ... Shocked ... it worked. It prints differently than pre-IE7+Bullzip. I will have to redo the formatting in Access, just like for Cute and that's why I assume that IE7 does "something" to change the formatting in Access.

In the Adobe created PDF, the font for the text in the vertical labels is no longer bold or at least it seems like it isn't.

In a Cute created PDF, the text in the vertical labels is still bold.

I checked the folders where Adobe gets the fonts but no change there (all three folders identical compared to pre-IE7). I'll have to investigate further (I think).

I uninstalled both Cute and Bullzip, removed all debris but did not clean the registry. Adobe still works ... Huh ... and my brain hurts from trying to figure out "how come".

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 2:48pm

Christer wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 10:18am:
Installing IE7 does "something" but I still don't know what.

It's some internal changes to the handling of fonts in Windows to support IE7's different approach to HTML encoding and rendering, colliding somehow with Adobe's approach to font character encoding. The CID system is Adobe's current approach to adding extended character sets to the PostScript system (original PostScript circa 1984 predating Unicode by many years, and being in any case more concerned with glyphs rather than characters) to try and make something more scalable than their previous interim systems for extended character sets.

The endcidrange word is part of the definition of the CMAP file (see Adobe Technical note 5099, section 6.2) which mapping from Unicode characters to glyphs in a particular font. Basically, the PostScript interpreter doesn't like something about the CMAP, probably that a Unicode character in that bit of stack is being mapped to a glyph code that isn't actually present in the particular target font.

Christer wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 10:18am:
... and my brain hurts from trying to figure out "how come".

It'll be some setting somewhere which is controlling how the code generating PostScript output substitutes specific fonts for the ones in the source document (which probably contains some character in one font which isn't actually present in one of the fonts it's decided to use in the PostScript output). Either it's picking a different final font which doesn't have the CMAP error, or else something has been updated to know the right CMAP correspondence to the actual installed TrueType fonts.

IP Logged

Christer
bermensch

Sweden

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 5:52pm

Nigel,
thanks for trying to explain!

What you're saying supports my belief that the font in PDF may not be the same as in the original document.

Regarding the fact that Adobe works after installing Bullzip, I have searched for files that were updated with the installation of Bullzip and left behind after uninstalling Bullzip and Adobe still working. One file has caught my attention: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\ADPDF6.BPD. I have no idea what it's for (google results were inconclusive) but it was written to when Bullzip was installed. I'll copy it, roll back to pre-Bullzip and copy it back. I'll probably shoot my own foot ... Grin ...

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 11:29pm

Christer wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 5:52pm:
What you're saying supports my belief that the font in PDF may not be the same as in the original document.

Yup.

Quote:
One file has caught my attention: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\ADPDF6.BPD. I have no idea what it's for (google results were inconclusive) but it was written to when Bullzip was installed. I'll copy it, roll back to pre-Bullzip and copy it back. I'll probably shoot my own foot ...

BPD files are binary compiled versions of plain-text PPD files, which stand for PostScript Printer Description and which are used by the PostScript printer drivers to control the output profile (PostScript being a full programming language, and so an amazingly versatile and almost endlessly scalable thing, you need a way of describing exactly what subset and version of PostScript, including printer-embedded fonts, any given printer supports).

This document from one of the Adobe developers mentions manually editing the PPD and removing the BPD files as a common aspect of fixing font problems (see page 45).

Possibly what's happened is that the original BPD file contains some out-of-date cached font glyph mapping information, and that during the update to IE7 it had got too far from the original. Deleting it should cause the main PostScript driver to re-build the BPD files from the PPD sources (and although I don't know if CID encodings are part of the BPD, if they are then maybe they'll be regenerated based on the currently installed fonts).

IP Logged

Christer
bermensch

Sweden

Reply #22 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 4:45am

I rolled back using Ghost 2003 to IE7 pre-installing Bullzip. I substituted the file ADPDF6.BPD as (assumed*) modified by the previous install of Bullzip (which I copied prior to rolling back) for the "original file". It didn't fix the problem with Adobe. I will try to delete it and have it regenerated.

*) I'm not sure about that anymore. It seems like it gets updated when Adobe is used.

A few posts back, I wrote:
Quote:
In the Adobe created PDF, the font for the text in the vertical labels is no longer bold or at least it seems like it isn't.

This was after installing Bullzip which made Adobe work. I removed the "bold" format from the text in the Access report. Printing it using Cute now looks the same as printing it using Adobe. I will roll back once more to see if it is the bold format that is the culprit and next to delete ADPDF6.BPD and have it regenerated.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
bermensch

Sweden

Reply #23 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 7:36am

Quote:
*) I'm not sure about that anymore. It seems like it gets updated when Adobe is used.

Well, the jury is still out on that one. With no additional PDF-utility installed, the first attempt using Adobe did not update ADPDF6.BPD but that doesn't mean that it never gets updated. Renaming it ADPDF6.XYZ and it was regenerated identical (based on the same file size to the byte).

Installing Bullzip did update ADPDF6.BPD (and a few more files I guess).

The simple solution would be to install Bullzip but not use it since Adobe works after that. I don't know if locating the files that are not "Bullzip" but get updated by the installation is worth the trouble. I mean, Adobe has not managed to do it ... Roll Eyes ... I think. I haven't tried any trial version later than 8.x. Maybe I should.

Another simple solution would be to install CutePDF and live with the lower quality (compared to Adobe) of the PDF files.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
bermensch

Sweden

Reply #24 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:22am

A third solution would be the expensive one, to install Adobe Acrobat 9. I downloaded and installed a trial (30 days) of the "9 Pro" as "9 Standard" was not available as a trial.

In "6 Standard", Abobe PDF is integrated (with buttons in the tools menu) in Excel, Powerpoint and Word. In Access it is only available through "print > choose Adobe PDF as printer".

In "9 Pro", Adobe PDF is integrated in Access as well and it works fine ... Smiley ... kudos to Adobe! The downside is the price ... Sad ... SEK 4.000 which corresponds to USD 500.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print