Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Page reloads (Read 29952 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Page reloads
Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:14am

When I click the "new" label, it loads the page with the new post in view but immediately reloads the page at the top. I can either scroll down to the new post or hit the back-button which brings back the new post in view.

Is it only my old BOAC (Box Of Assembled Components) on IE6?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Page reloads
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 4:50am

The page seems to reload when the "Personalized Pictures" or ads are loaded.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 5:08pm

Christer wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:14am:
When I click the "new" label,

Do you mean 'Refresh'? or 'Reload'? I'm not seeing a 'New'.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 2:36am

When you're at the page with the list of topics, in front of the subject "new" (light blue) is indicating at topic with new posts.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 4:45pm

It is not taking you to the reply box, it is taking you down to the latest post.  The link on the 'new' banner has an anchor on the latest post.  Click on the title of the post next to the banner if you want to start at the top of the page.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 5:29am

Quote:
It is not taking you to the reply box, ...

No

Quote:
... it is taking you down to the latest post.

I'm not sure where it takes me if there's more than one new post. I assume to the first new post. No matter what, a second later it jumps to the top of the page. Hitting the back-button brings the initial view back.

Quote:
The link on the 'new' banner has an anchor on the latest post.

I'm not sure about that. I assume it's anchored to the first new post.

Quote:
Click on the title of the post next to the banner if you want to start at the top of the page.

I think it brings you to the start of the thread, top of page 1 if more than one page and that's not what I want. I want to go to the first new post since my last visit.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 2:21pm

Christer wrote on Nov 5th, 2008 at 5:29am:
I'm not sure where it takes me if there's more than one new post. I assume to the first new post. No matter what, a second later it jumps to the top of the page. Hitting the back-button brings the initial view back.

Hmmm, ok, I'm not sure why that is happening.  For me, it takes me to the first new post, like it sounds like you want.  What browser do you use?  What OS?  Do you have any extensions installed?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 2:55pm

WinXP SP3 and IE6 with no extensions (can it have extensions?). In anticipation of your next question: I have tried IE7 but it screwes up the creation of PDF-documents in Adobe Acrobat. I will stick with IE6.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 1:57pm

Hmmm.  I don't even have access to a computer running Windows right now, so testing IE6 to see if I get the same results isn't an option.  You could try FireFox (it works fine for me in FF2 on Linux), but it seems like you are pretty anchored to IE6, so I don't know what else to suggest.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 1:58pm

Christer wrote on Nov 5th, 2008 at 2:55pm:
IE6 with no extensions (can it have extensions?

No.  IE6 lacks many of the features of a modern browser, like tabs and extensions.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #10 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 2:24pm

Quote:
You could try FireFox (it works fine for me in FF2 on Linux), but it seems like you are pretty anchored to IE6, so I don't know what else to suggest.

I have used FF in its 2.x incarnation but since reinstalling WinXP with SP3 slipstreamed, I have not bothered to install FF 3.x. I liked FF and also ThunderBird which I for a period of time used in parallel with Outlook Express (I configured TB to leave the messages on the server to be received in OE as well) but FF/TB weren't a "revolution" compared to IE/OE.

IE6 basically does what I want it to do and I can live with the situation (page reload) so don't go through too much trouble in your attempts to assist me.

Thanks,
Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 4:59pm

okay, i finally located the 'new' icon.

had not noticed that b4.

in learning about web design, nothing has caused the misery that ie6 has (due to its non-compliance with web standards).

if there were something i could do to fix it for you, i would, but i wouldn't even know where to start (and fear i might break things that are currently working for other browsers).

what version of acrobat are you using? sounds like that is the real problem.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:55pm

Two years ago, I was using Acrobat 5.05 Professional. When I tested IE7 and noticed the problem, I downloaded a trial version of the latest iteration (8.something) and the problem was still there. Even if it had been fixed, I couldn't afford it. Currently I'm using Acrobat 6.06 Standard given to me by my employer.

Maybe, if I dig deeply enough, I might find a setting in Acrobat that is the culprit. The issue is very specific:

I use MS Access and create reports. Some of these reports have vertically oriented labels. In combination with IE7, Acrobat can't handle that but without the vertical labels, everything is fine. In combination with IE6, no problems.

Some people blamed the old version of Acrobat but the most recent version didn't cure the problem. Some people said that the "enhanced" printer driver in IE7 mess things up. The common denominator seems to be that no one wants to do anything about it.

There has been a few updates to IE7 and maybe, just maybe, the issue has been fixed. I will install IE7 once more and see what happens but I will not hold my breath.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 7:05pm

Hmmm.

Well, at least you have a good handle on the problem, and you know when it affects you and when it doesn't. That's about all you can do at this point, and yes, Acrobat is expensive. (I think v9.0 is the latest.)

Christer wrote on Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:55pm:
The common denominator seems to be that no one wants to do anything about it.

I hear ya.

This says IE6 still represents 1/3rd of all browsers:

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2008/September/browser.php

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 3:51am

Quote:
I hear ya.

The way I see it, MS introduced IE7 which broke stuff that worked with IE6 (and I'm 100% sure that I'm not alone). People who hoist the MS flag every morning say that the "other" software provider should fix the problems because MS can't do it (too many problems, I guess).

FireFox doesn't seem to break anything when installed in parallel to IE6. Does it have its own printer driver or does it use the MS printer driver? (Rhetorical question.)

Quote:
This says IE6 still represents 1/3rd of all browsers:

That's surprising! I wonder what it indicates? Many users still using Win9x or Win2k? Many users having issues with IE7?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print