Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost does not change timestamp when overwriting exisiting image (Read 5293 times)
NDog37
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost does not change timestamp when overwriting exisiting image
Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:37pm

Is there a switch I can use to force ghost to update the date modified time stamp when overwriting an exisiting image?

I am using Ghost 11.5 in DOS 7.10

If I have an existing ghost image and overwrite that image using partition to image option, it prompts me if i want to overwrite the ghost file, and I choose yes, however the time stamp does not change after it has created the file, eg the time modified and time created stamp remains the same, and does not change to the current time. I know this is not a problem with DOS as I modified a text file and the time stamp changed, so I know that ghost is not updating the time stamp.

Cheers

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost does not change timestamp when overwriting exisiting image
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 9:31am

@
 NDog

Weird--I've not seen that problem before!

Are you using the same name for the image file?

Of course, you could delete the previous image before beginning Ghost--that should *force* a new time/date stamp.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 6:27pm

Probably the last thing I'd ever want to do is use one name for more than one Ghost backup.  There's a great advantage in having more than just one Ghost backup on your backup drive.
I still have Ghost backup files, going back many years.

Since almost day one, with Ghost I've always used a file name that tells me what I backed up and when.
For instance when I'm backing up my XP drive, I will use a name like:
XP111508, telling me the drive and date that I made the file.

Backing up my Vista drive, I'd use:
VI111408, signifying that I did the backup from my VIsta drive and I did it on 111408 (11/14/2008).
Always keep in mind that you're working in DOS and filenames must not be over 8 characters in length.

Don't be lazy.....give each Ghost backup a different name. 
Someday, you'll be darn'd glad you did.

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

NDog37
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:45pm

Pity, there is no switch to NOT PRESERVE original timestamp. What a shame. The problem is I don't neccessarily use a FAT partition to store my images so deleting them is not possible if it was on a NTFS drive for example. I use this switch

Code:

set ghostexe=ghost.exe
set ghostpart=1:2
set compressionswitch=-z9
set ospart=1:1
set ghostdir=image\ghost\part1
set ghostfile=new.gho

%ghostexe% %compressionswitch% -fx -clone,mode=pdump,src=%ospart%,dst=%ghostpart%\%ghostdir%\%ghostfile%

You can see these are all relative variables, there are no set drives eg d: and not set folder paths. So thats why a time stamp switch would be the best solution here. I always change the variables according to the batch file, plus this is not only on my pc!

I guess nothing I can do!  Cry Cry

IP Logged

NDog37
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:07pm

Actually if you could use a command line for ghost to delete the existing file for example

ghost.exe /del,1:2\image\ghost\part1\new.gho

that would be cool but kinda unnessecary for something as simple as writing a new timestamp.

I will keep searching, but thanks for your help

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 10:24am

@
 NDog37

Your coding of *relative variables* is an atypical way to set up Ghost to run at the command line.  There may be something about using that technique that is causing DOS to maintain the original time/date stamp--or not re-write it.

You could experiment with just a simple straight forward command line for Ghost to determine if the time/date stamp gets updated using that--and it may only be one of the variables that causes the problem.

Quote:
You can see these are all relative variables, there are no set drives eg d: and not set folder paths.

Unless I'm missing something, those *set* commands are creating *set drives* and *set folder paths*, and you state you *always change the variables according to the batch file*--so why not just use the standard Ghost command line?!

Quote:
Actually if you could use a command line for ghost to delete the existing file for example

If you know you are going to run Ghost, you could have a simple batch file that you run in Windows that deletes the old Ghost image file stored on a NTFS partition before you shut down Windows and reboot to DOS to perform the Ghost procedure--the shut down could be built into the batch file as well!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NDog37
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:33am

Hey NightOwl, thanks for your advice, however, its not a DOS issue, I have already confirmed it, using DOS 6 & 7 & FreeDOS. I do use 4DOS as my shell, so possibly that is an issue. Can I ask you to experiment? Create a partition to image ghost, and then overwrite it shortly afterwards and notice if the timestamp changed?

Also I did experiment doing this without a command line using the ghost.exe GUI, same results.

If ghost doesn't update the timestamp, then I am going to forget it and sort them by filename, not date, so I will get into a habit of naming them eg 0_base.gho 1_drive.gho, etc. The reason I need a timestamp, is so I can sort them newest to oldest, in DOS

eg dir /b /o-d

I want it to be independant of my OS, so I am now using NTFS4DOS to mount the NTFS drives in dos and read/write files from there.
I think the only way is to delete the existing file and create a new one to get the timestamp  Wink Thanks for the tip!

Sorry the example I gave was very vague! Sorry for any misunderstanding.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print