Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ERROR ... USERNAME/PASSWORD MISMATCHED (Read 11866 times)
Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

ERROR ... USERNAME/PASSWORD MISMATCHED
Nov 13th, 2008 at 6:08pm

Hi Guys
I need some help. For several days I have been trying to update my profile, show where I live, etc. I keep getting error messages in spite of trying to show my correct user ID and password

HELP!!!!

JERLIZ (JERRY)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: ERROR ... USERNAME/PASSWORD MISMATCHED
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 12:29am

@
 jerliz

So, are you saying you can not access your profile using your initial sign up name and password?

Did you sign up with a different name than your online user name--you need to use the sign up name--not the online user name....?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 2:39pm

Usually my passwords, ect are all secured somewhere other than on my hard drive. What happened here I cannot explain. I do not know now nor can I find what my signup name was.

Since I have apparently been using the wrong signup name, I would get the error. Then after receiving the error and re-trying .... I would receive an email and a new password, which I would try. So, after trying this numerous times, I really don't know where I am now .... password or signup name???  I apologize for the confusion, extra work and inconvenience. As you can see, even my user name does not show up as evidence I am online. But you are receiving this message as proof I am. What to do next?

Jerry (jerliz)

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 6:17pm

I found out years ago, that the best way to keep track of names, passwords and other various info, was to keep it all on Index Cards.
(Write it down!)

Also, never put spaces in your screen names and then you don't have to worry about did you or didn't you. Wink

Then for non-sensitive sites, always use the same password, and make it a combination of both letters and numbers.

For sensitive sites, like your personal bank account, NEVER use the same password for more than one site. 
Again, write it down.  Don't trust your memory!  Roll Eyes

Good Luck,
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:53am

@
 jerliz

Quote:
As you can see, even my user name does not show up as evidence I am online.

So--your display name never shows up indicating you're online!?  I've not noted that--does your *status* under your *display name* show that you are *online* when you are on the forum?

In the old forum version you could use the same name for both the *log-in ID* and the *display name*--but, in the newer forum version you can not--you have to choose a different *display name* from the *log-in ID* that you used to initially sign up to be a forum member.

Do you recall if you used the same name for both the *log-in ID* and the *display name* when you signed up?

I've looked around the *Admin* functions--and I don't find any listing of *log-in IDs*--those appear to exist only as encrypted data.  I'll send Rad an email to see if he knows anything different.

Quote:
What to do next?

It looks like I might be able to change your password--that might allow you access to your forum *User CP* so you can edit your profile.  Send me a PM (private message) if you want me to try re-setting your password.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 7:48pm

ATTENTION MODERATORS:
My password, username/id got so screwed up that I had to re-register under my full name and a different email address.  Cry Cry  I was formerly registered as (display name) jerliz. NightOwl offered to go into your server and try and straighten it out. He asked me to send him a Personal Note if I wanted him to do so. However, I was totally locked out, I could not even reply to his last message. I tried for hours to get this straightened out ... to no avail. Re-registering was my only alternative. If anyone has additional suggestions i'm open for advice. Or if this is going to create any problems, please let me know. However, I am now  Smiley  Smiley happy that I was finally able to get back in, even if I had to use my other email address.

Jerry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 11:23pm

@
 Jerry

Did you receive my PM from earlier this evening?  

Did you sign off as *Jerry* and try logging in as *jerliz*?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 9:31am

@
 Jerry

I saw you online using your old account--formerly *jerliz*--I had to change it to *jer of jerliz* in order for the forum software to allow me to reset your password and save it--it would not let the *display name* be the same as the *login name*.

You can go to the *User CP* (ControlPanel), and change your display name--doesn't have to be *jer of jerliz*, and you can change your password to whatever you wish.

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 10:02am

I had a note from "The Shadow" the other day regarding how he keeps his hard drive pristinely clean and thus maintains it in such a way that he can burn an image to a single DVD, and makes it bootable. Question: I boot with my thumb drive ... (TD)  When asked about whether or not to make the DVD bootable, ghost (2003) wants a boot disk from drive A. My TD is not recognized as A. How to get ghost to accept the TD with the boot information it needs with having to put a floppy in A? Thanks for any help.

Jerry of jerliz

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 11:23am

@
 Jerry

I don't know exactly what happens when you use a thumb drive to boot to DOS and load Ghost 2003--does it create a virtual drive A: that it has booted from like the bootable optical disc does?

I do know that when you boot from a bootable optical disc with Ghost on it, and you reach the point where Ghost 2003 asks if you have the boot floppy in drive A: if you are making a bootable optical disc--you simply click *Yes*--and Ghost 2003 will read the files created and loaded into the *virtual boot drive A:* .

What happens if you do that from the booted thumb drive?

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 5:10pm

NightOwl:
Ghost asks if you want the disk (in this case a DVD) to be bootable and then will ask if there is a floppy in the drive. When you answer in the affirmative, it tries to access the A:\ drive and then reports it can't find it. Perhaps "The Shadow" will jump in here in a day or so and explain how he did it. No big deal, hurry or worry. Thanks for your response.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 4:35pm

Jerry,
I'm glad to oblige.  It's good to see you back on-line again.

When I'm doing a clone, or a partition image to another drive, I can use any media I want to boot up with, including a Flash Drive, SD Flash memory card, CD, etc.

But, when I'm intending to make a bootable DVD, I always boot to Ghost 2003 with a floppy disk in A:.  That makes Ghost real happy and everything works as it was written.

On systems with NO floppy disk drive (internal) I've had real good luck using a USB Floppy Drive.  Both the BIOS, DOS and Ghost accept that as drive A:.
That's the only way I've been able to fool Ghost.

I've said it many times....."Ghost Knows".
So, even if your boot Flash Drive or boot CD can fool Dos into pasting an A: on the screen,,,,,Ghost knows by going right to the floppy port on the mobo and looking for the boot disk and if its not there.....
well you know the rest of the story.  It ain't purty! Angry

I just did my first clean install of XP for the first time in several years.
(After I slipstreamed XP-Pro together with SP3.)

As soon as I got my ISP and email set up, I made my first Ghost Image to a DVD, booting from a floppy disk, and using HIGH compression.  Ghost reported that it would take two DVD's, but as always it scrunched it down to one.  GOD, I love that program!!!!

So Jer, how else can I be of assistance?

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 7:59pm

Thanks "Shadow"
That answered most of my questions for now. Much appreciated. As you say, I've also learned you can fool DOS from time to time, but Ghost on the other hand knows when you have no floppy in the drive and won't be fooled until you put one there if you really want to make the DVD bootable. Appreciate your input as it will save me a lot of additional time trying to get Ghost to do something beyond what it is capable of doing.

On another topic briefly (if permissable here) I very recently downgraded my lap top from Vista to XP pro. (most of my work is done on my desktop where XP Pro resides)  I got so tired of Vista taking forever to boot up. The touted advantages of Vista over XP just were not worth it to me. In making the change, however, I was forever trying to locate or find XP drivers for the HP notebook. This, apparently, because MS blocked them from being released hoping everyone to stay with (go to) Vista. Next project will be to try and ghost-image (2003) the laptop hard drive, time permitting in the near future. Stay tuned and when I get to it, I'll report on the results.

In the meantime, like you I am convinced to stay with Ghost 2003. It is an unblievable piece of software.

I have a new motherboard in my dekstop that supports my Seagate Sata drives and following the posts herein I have had absolutely no problem making and/or restoring images on these hard drives. I liked your idea of keeping my system drive as clean as I possibly can so as to put my Ghost images on a single DVD.

Last week I decided to do a reinstall on a third (clean) Sata drive. All three drives are mounted in a bay, but only two connected to the mother board at any one time. I swapped back and forth from day to day during the rebuild process using the old drive to continue to do my work on and then when I had the extra time I switched cables back and forth between the standard drive and the new project-drive in process.  After every so many piceces of software installed I would ghost another image to my D drive and then burn it to a DVD. That way I have a DVD image of the various installs in increments. At any  time I can go back if any particular program gives me problems during the install and start over from there. I just don't like MS's system restore. It takes so much space and at the same time I really don't fully trust it.

Pretty cool the last few nights even for Florida, but it is a relief from that oppressive heat. My mom (90 years old) says I am fortunate to be in Florida and not in Michigan (home). Thats all for now and thanks again "Shadow"

G'Nite
Jerry

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 8:17am

Jerry,
It sounds like we're on parallel paths.
I too am running from my first clean install of XP in many years.  
So far I've only installed the bare minimum of software.
I ran the first few days with only my UPS monitor running in the background.....no AV or AS running.  
Then last night I finally installed AVG 8.0 PRO and saw absolutely NO difference in performance.  Of course my OS is tweaked and tuned with my standard package of tweaks, so it runs at optimum performance.  
That's about 100% better than XP right out of the box.

I found a long time back, that after I've tweaked my OS I can run five scanners at the same time and see no appreciable downgrade in performance.   People spend countless dollars to get more performance out of their PC's, when I do the same with just a few minutes at the keyboard.  It's pitiful. Cry

Most of the info on how to do that is on my website, but since very few people believe that it will work, they won't even try it.

I went to a local computer tech's home recently and showed him how I tune up a PC and he was literally blown away by how much better his computer ran afterward.  Now he wants me to teach him how to tune up a computer....my way.

Back on topic, , ,
Since reformatting my C: drive and reinstalling XP/SP3, I've been making Ghost backups almost daily.
As I've said before, and will probably have to say a hundred times more, there is NO replacement for the System Restore feature.
It's so handy to just do a System Restore when something scrambles up your desktop, or some new program goes haywire on you.
When I first got XP, I reinstalled the OS at least six times to fix things before someone told me how to use System Restore.  
Since then I no longer have to reinstall the OS every time some little thing goes wrong.  I so seldom have to rely on a Ghost backup.

To push things to the max,,,,I run a script in my startup folder to Force a Restore Point on every system boot.
I may get half a dozen restore points in any one day, but hey.....that's OK, because when I need a restore point, I don't have to rely on one that's weeks old.

I really hate it, when I go on a service call knowing that all I'm going to have to do is reload a restore point and fix the problem,,,,then I get there and find out some dolt (idiot in training) turned the System Restore feature OFF.  
( urge to KILL )   Angry
That can turn a five minute fix into hours of work. Cry

So make darn'd sure that your System Restore feature is ON and working.  It should be making a new restore point every day, to be really effective.  
Now when I go on a service call on a PC that I've never worked on before, the first thing I do is make sure that System Restore is on and working.  If not, I turn it on and make an immediate restore point and then install my little script in the startup folder.

Restore points won't build up forever on your HD, like they did with Windows ME.  Windows XP only saves just so many restore points and then starts dropping the oldest one in the bit bucket.
If you have administrative rights, you can manually delete all the old restore points, except the current days, before you do a Ghost backup.  That will save you some space in your Ghost Image File.
You must also have Windows Explorer set to show you all files, even system and hidden.   With my FAT-32 file system, I can do that from my Ghost boot disk, with a little batch file, but on an NTFS system, you'll have to do it in windows, with Windows Explorer.

Dang!...Only two cups of coffee and I'm ranting again. Undecided

Happy Thanksgiving!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:53am

@
 TheShadow

Quote:
So make darn'd sure that your System Restore feature is ON and working.

Just exactly how do you make sure it's *working*?!  

On my systems, for reasons I have never been able to explain--Restore Points just randomly disappear--I tried to increase HDD space, did multiple Google searches, etc. but nothing *cured* the random behavior!!!

So, in order to have a reliable current day's Restore Point, I too added a startup script to manually create a daily Restore Point.  For the most part--that worked--the Restore Point would last at least for the day--but....not always!!!  If I was doing some major installation that triggered new Restore Points--again previous Restore Points may or may not be present the next time I looked--really frustrating!!!

I finally gave up--I now routinely perform a Ghost backup before any major software install or update so I have a truly reliable way to recover.  I run *ERUNT* which backs up the registry daily upon first startup, and you can set how many backups you want to keep--the default is 25 days worth, or so, I think--I've set it to 7 days.

And, I use Microsoft's Backup to do a *System State* backup before doing the Ghost backup--that backs up the Registry, and major, important files/programs that Microsoft considers important, and that the OS depends on.

I also discovered that Restore Points were the single most major reason for disk fragmentation on the OS drive--after turning off System Restore, my fragmentation was reduced by over 75%!!!

So, because I could not rely on the Restore Points being there when I needed them, and System Restore is so *automated*--you can't adjust it's behavior or where the Restore Points are saved--I just made it go away--turned it off!!!  Others may have better luck than me--but, my Google searches indicated that I wasn't the only one having Restore Points randomly disappearing!

Just not a reliable program--in my hands, at least!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print