Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GSS 2.5 and AHCI - Whats should users do. (Read 8870 times)
Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

GSS 2.5 and AHCI - Whats should users do.
Nov 15th, 2008 at 1:25pm

Hello All,

I have a Intel ICH10R chipset.
I have 2 SATA II hard drives.
I have 1 SATA Optical.

so

Drive 1 -  is the XP Prof (32 bit) sp3 - BOOT DRIVE,
Drive 2  - data/storage drive
Optical 1 - Optical

All SATA II. AHCI Drivers Enabled  (no raid on PC) when installing the OS. (F6 option).

I have GSS 2.5 - updated to current version today.

I have looked thorugh many of symantec user forums and Knowledge Base Libraries.

This is what I want to achieve
:

I want to
end up with a Dvd
(s) - with the
boot drive image on it
(one way or another) - that I can actually boot from - and restore the image to my boot drive
from the DVD

So are my questions:

1. Many symantec knowledgebase articles seem to say, :

'which ever Gss boot disk you use (dos/winpe etc.) you must turn of AHCI (BIOS), and image in non-AHCI Mode.'

Q: So how do I
my boot drive, and
restore
from an image - ultimately ending up with AHCI functionality afterwards.

2.What problems might I meet, with my SATA optical drive. What do I do to resolve it?

Thanks Very much

Pablo the Great! Cool

IP Logged

kollo
Dude

Re: GSS 2.5 and AHCI - Whats should users do.
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 1:37pm

I am not sure if I can help you with exactly that you want, but I have been successful in restoring a Ghost image to a hard drive running in SATA AHCI mode from another hard drive that was also running in SATA AHCI mode using the old Ghost 2003.

This is how I did this:
1. Put Ghost executable in a folder on the hard drive containing the Ghost image to restore.
2. Boot from Ghost 2003 CD. It was possible to boot but I can not access the CD after booting into Ghost.
3. Go to the folder containing the Ghost executable and run it
4. In Ghost, all my hard drives were accessible and I could restore from one hard drive to another.

This might not be exactly what you are looking for but it might at least give you hints on what is possible to do.

Kollo

IP Logged

Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 2:26pm

Hi kollo,

unfortunately I won't be able to use ghost 2003 - and will have to use GSS 2.5.

I think many will find your information useful.

What are the solutions with gss 2.5????

Thanks - Pablo the Great  Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 10:41am

@
 Pablo the Great

Quote:
unfortunately I won't be able to use ghost 2003 - and will have to use GSS 2.5.

The solutions will probably be similar--basically the problem is probably that your system will not allow a DOS based program such as Ghost 2003 or GSS v2.5 to run correctly if your AHCI is active.

Quote:
Q: So how do I image my boot drive, and restore from an image - ultimately ending up with AHCI functionality afterwards.

So, to either create an image--or restore an image in DOS, you may have to disable AHCI--once the procedure in DOS is complete--you re-enable the AHCI and all the Windows drivers will still be present on the system--be it the original or a restored copy.

Quote:
2.What problems might I meet, with my SATA optical drive. What do I do to resolve it?

Well, with older DOS Ghost 2003, one had to load a separate DOS driver to handle optical drives--and SATA optical was not common--so only an IDE-optical controller driver was available.

SATA optical drives in DOS need a different DOS driver.  Radified Forum Member *ben_mott* posted this information about a new DOS driver that works with the newer SATA optical drives.  *ben_mott makes the statement that the SATA driver is backward compatible with IDE optical drives--but, from other posts I've seen, this appears to be an incorrect statement.  You would also have to load separately the IDE optical DOS drivers too if you also have that type of optical drive:

Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM

Download *gcdrom.sys* here!

Some additional resources:

GCDROM for DOS

SATA optical drive & Ghost 2002 report

But, Ghost 11 aka GSS 2.5 in DOS may already have built-in SATA optical drive support--being a much newer product--so the above may be a non-issue!

Report back and let us all know if that's the case!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 8:30pm

@
NightOwl

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I aim to use winpe512 gss boot cd-rom.

I understand that I can get Gss 2.5 winnpe bootcd

to
load the AHCI drivers
whilst it is loading winpe

- by adding the ahci driver to the deploy anywhere database.

1.This would mean that I do not need to switch of the Ahci drivers right?

2. How do I add the correct driver, as in the Intel Matrix Storage Manager AHCI Driver Floppy disk there are a number of files:

iaahci.cat
iaahci.inf
iastor.cat
iastor.inf
iastor.sys
txtsetupoem.txt

(do both aachi.inf and iastor.inf have to be included for ahci to work -or- just iaachi.inf)

Thanks.

Pablo The Great
Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 8:56pm

@
 Pablo the Great

Well, WinPE is a *lite* version of Windows--so it should be able to use the AHCI mode if the drivers are there.

Quote:
(do both aachi.inf and iastor.inf have to be included for ahci to work -or- just iaachi.inf)

Not sure about this, but this might help you look for answers--I think the *iastor* is for a RAID controller--and the AHCI is for non-RAID--but you need to confirm if that's a correct statement--I don't know!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print