Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting "Decompression Error 19235" using 8.3 (Read 6426 times)
Death Touch
N00b

I Love Radified!

Getting "Decompression Error 19235" using 8.3
Nov 18th, 2008 at 10:43am

Hi all, hope you can help me solve this issue.
I am using Symantec Ghost 8.3 and am trying to restore an image that is spanned over 20 parts. When it gets to # 19 i get the error "Decompression error 19235" on the same file every time. I click ok and the program exits with "decompression error 19235 -3".
I have not heard anything good about this on the web.

Here is my set up:

I boot from a dos cd and connect over a twisted ethernet cable to another system that houses my images (for more than one machine)

This image has 1 gho file and 20 ghs spans.

Everything works fine until a couple of files into the 19th ghs file. I get the decompression error.

I have tried using the -FRO, CRCIGNORE, -NTEXACT switches (as advised by some friends) but it still fails every time.

I did an integrity check and it fails out at the same place the restore does.

Here is the killer, I used high comression (due to my storage disk size)so I have to wait almost 2 hours before it gets to file 19.

I ran chkdsk but that did not help. I have tried using a larger disk to restore to incase there was a bad sector on the original, no change.

So I am not even sure if file 20 is good either.

I dont have my original mfg disk any more but I am still trying to find it.

PLEASE HELP if you can.

Thanks in advanced.

DT

IP Logged

Death Touch
N00b

I Love Radified!

Re: Getting "Decompression Error 19235" using 8.3
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 8:13pm

Ok here is an update.

I found my Ghostexp.exe.
I copied (with verify) all of my GHO/GHS files for this particular image off onto another computer. I installed the Ghostexp on the same computer and executed it. BAM! There was my entire drive. I did a search for the file that was fowling up in the restore and sure enough it was there.

It was a photo file in a directory with other photos. I tried to extract the problem file but I received an error simply stating "unable to extract". I was however able to view the file on either side of the file in question. So I figure WA LA! I will just delete the !@#@$# file and all will be good. Nope, it would not let me delete it. So I went to another computer, found a photo file of similar size, renamed it to the same name as the file in question and tried to copy it over the file in question. Got a message stating that Ghost would need to create a new spanned file and if i said ok then something would happen and if i said cancel something else would happen but I notice that during all this reading, the file in question had vanished. So I canceled everything and pushed file 19.ghs back to where the other original image files are and started my restore process (currently 35% need to get passed 90%).

While waiting for the restor to complete (and typing this), I tried to get back into Ghost explorer and review my files. It took a while (said loading like before) but this time it failed "Ghost Explorer has encountered an error and must be closed. Sorry blah blah blah". I then noticed that the gho and last ghs file dates had changed. Is this why ghost explorer wont open the image any more?

So I went back to the 19ghs file and its date had not changed but yet this is where the bad file vanished from. Any idea why?

I will post when the good or bad happens on the restore.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 1:42am

@
 Death Touch

Quote:
Here is my set up:

I boot from a dos cd and connect over a twisted ethernet cable to another system that houses my images (for more than one machine)

Well, to at least get pass the *decompression* error, I was going to suggest that you do whatever is needed to put that image file set on a spare HDD that is hooked up locally--i.e. simplify the setup and don't try to send the image file over a network--or whatever.

Quote:
I did an integrity check and it fails out at the same place the restore does.

Failing the integrity check is never a good sign--are you doing that over the network as well--if yes--again simplify!  Will the image pass the integrity check if on a local system?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Death Touch
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 1:19pm

Well, I took your advice and put a disk into the same machine that houses the backup files and tried to restore (not the same drive I was originally trying to restore too). Still failed in the same spot.

Saddly I ended up reloading from scratch but I was able to use Ghost Explorer to recover 100% of the vital stuff and just about 95% of the entire drive.

Until now, I have never had a problem doing the backup/resote over the network in the last 6 years but it has definitely made me want to re-think my DR routine. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

By the way, after all the research I did into my issue, this web site is by far the best source of information!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print