Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flaky System--Intermittent BSOD Crashes (Read 14264 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Flaky System--Intermittent BSOD Crashes
Dec 6th, 2008 at 9:26am

This has been going on for months--but getting worse (more frequent)!

The BSOD (blue screen of death) occur randomly--sort of--they seem to be more likely when the system is using more resources--so if the system was doing an anti-virus scan in the background (this was the first problem that I noticed--tried various other AV programs--but they all BSOD during background scans!), or if I tried to watch a TV episode from one of the major network websites--(strangely I could watch PBS episodes without any problem--and U Tube video seemed okay too).

Until recently, I never had a crash using DOS only (for Ghosting), or if I was in *Safe Mode* for Windows--now it's happening there as well--but less frequently.

I had added a new graphics card in March, 2008, but it was fine until all this began in about July, 2008.  So, suspecting that, I put the old graphics card in--no change in behavior.

Ran MemTest86 in DOS--failed repeatedly during test #5 towards the end with *memory* errors.  Tried removing one of the two memory sticks--both with same failure.  Ordered new memory--same failure.

So, I don't think it's RAM, or the graphics card--but probably some *weak* circuit on the motherboard that sends out (or fails to send out) an occasional *wrong* signal that has the ability to crash the system.  (This system did have an unexplained power source failure May, 2008--but replacement of the power supply seemed to be successful--no BSOD until a couple months later--thought maybe a random power fluctuation--but the DOS MemTest86 is not random--it always fails the same test in the same spot!!!)

In DOS, it just freezes--no error codes--most commonly after Ghost had completed a backup and the pop up screen had indicated the successful completion and you needed to click the button to continue--but the system would be hung.  

In *Save Mode*, it just freezes.  In WinXP--I can't remember the system ever *freezing*--always the BSOD.  The *reason* given by the BSOD were various *Stop* codes--usually never the same.  Or it pointed at various program files:  *win32.sys* multiple times, *kmixer.sys*, *ntfs.sys*--

If anyone has any thoughts--I'm about ready to trash this motherboard---

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Flaky System--Intermittent BSOD Crashes
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 3:54pm

NightOwl wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 9:26am:
but probably some *weak* circuit on the motherboard

One common problem like this is hairline fractures of the PCB traces on the motherboard, which in a multilayer board, you'll never find and can't practically be repaired either. Sometimes you can find that the mechanical load on the board (esp. with graphics cards, if you've got one of the more heavy beasts) flexes it one way or another and will change the behaviour - in one case I had a machine with such a fault I was about to keep running by the expedient of jamming a CD jewel case underneath the graphics card.

I'd say you're doing the right thing by replacing the mobo.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:33pm

"Tried removing one of the two memory sticks--both with same failure.  Ordered new memory--same failure."

Did you try a single stick in each slot 1 by 1? My Mom's puter started crashing and giving a certain error (don't recall what) but it turned out that the #1 slot went bad. A single stick in #2 works fine.

Check for leaking caps also. Does sound as if something on the mobo is failing as Nigel said.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 9:00am

NightOwl, it is only speculation on my part, but is the electrical power to the PC conditioned through a UPS?  If not, could the intermittent failures be due to power fluctuations?

Nigel, however, is most likely correct:  time to purchase a new mobo or another PC.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 11:38am

Pleonasm wrote on Dec 7th, 2008 at 9:00am:
NightOwl, it is only speculation on my part, but is the electrical power to the PC conditioned through a UPS?

I like the track Pleo is headed down - have you checked the power supply?  Since it happens when the computer is under more resources, it makes me suspect power.  Worth checking, I think.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:52am

Hey guys--thanks for the responses.

@
 Nigel Bree

That *hairline fracture* in some circuit was my conclusion after all my testing and observations.  How did you ever discover that bracing the graphics card was a work-around solution  Huh ?

@
 ckcc

I did try a single RAM chip in different slots--that too had same results.  And looked for *leaking capacitors*--that is a possibility, but there's nothing that looks *definitive*!

@
 Pleonasm

Been using UPS for all my systems for a long time--*cheap* insurance--so can rule that one out.

@
 MrMagoo

And, just to be sure--I put a different UPS on the system--no change!  Everything is still pointing to the motherboard!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 12:06pm

NightOwl wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:52am:
And, just to be sure--I put a different UPS on the system--no change!Everything is still pointing to the motherboard! 

I was talking about the power supply in the case, not the UPS.  Sounds like the power supply is still worth checking.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:13pm

How did you ever discover that bracing the graphics card was a work-around solution

Necessity being the mother of invention or some such. The CD case was there to hand when I was messing about with the machine having discovered the mechanical trigger for the fault, and I just noticed that the gap was about the right size, and one thing lead to another...

Compare that to crazy stuff like, say, discovering that if you take something incredibly nasty like a bath of caustic soda and then soak bread dough in it, the results are awesome.

I stumbled across this earlier this year, and since you can't buy soft pretzels anywhere in New Zealand I decided to give it a try and it works as advertised. Food preparation is mostly something I find completely uninteresting, but there's something about making bread by hand which is super fun. Anyhow, since the baking soda bath turns out to be really simple and effective, I'm starting to work up the courage to try bagels. Haven't been brave enough yet.

The thing about the lye gets me every time I think about making a batch of pretzels. Seriously, WTF? I really can't imagine having that stuff just lying around while you're baking and going "y'know, what if ...?".

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:12am

Hey guys--thanks for the responses.

@
 Nigel Bree

That *hairline fracture* in some circuit was my conclusion after all my testing and observations.  How did you ever discover that bracing the graphics card was a work-around solution  Huh ?

@
 ckcc

I did try a single RAM chip in different slots--that too had same results.  And looked for *leaking capacitors*--that is a possibility, but there's nothing that looks *definitive*!

@
 Pleonasm

Been using UPS for all my systems for a long time--*cheap* insurance--so can rule that one out.

@
 MrMagoo

And, just to be sure--I put a different UPS on the system--no change!  Everything is still pointing to the motherboard!

If it's a motherboard issue, like heating up and warping when under load, there's one more thing you can try.  
Take the mobo. out of the case and lay it on the table or sit it on a board, laid across the case, so you can connect the power cables, etc.  Then try booting up and running your Memtest program again.
Just the very fact that Memtest crashes at the same test over and over indicates a problem with either the mobo itself or the RAM sockets.
In rare occasions, where the ram and their sockets have been blasted with dirt from the CPU fan, I've used Denatured Alcohol and an old tooth brush to wash out the ram sockets.  
I've written many times, that I also wash dirty ram to fix problems that would appear to be BAD RAM.
(it's been many years since I actually replaced a ram stick that was testing bad with Memtest.)

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's a picture that tells the whole story:

Note the pattern of dirt, radiating out from the CPU fan and covering the near side of the ram stick.  The back side of the Video card seems to be getting its share of the dirt too.
The ram and many other circuits on a PC Motherboard, work at CMOS levels.  Just a little dirt of the right kind can be as detrimental as iron filings to those CMOS circuits.  
A layer of dirt, is like a thermal blanket, and can also cause parts to overheat.

Saying "Change the motherboard" is much easier to say than to actually do, especially on older computers.  Often the board you need is no longer made and you wind up changing the mobo, the CPU, the ram and maybe even the video card.  It can get very expensive. Sad

So investigate ALL possibilities, to make the existing Mobo work as it should.  Ya think?

Happy Holidays!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 12:05pm

@
 MrMagoo

Quote:
I was talking about the power supply in the case

I missed that nuance--but, I do not have a spare power supply easily at hand for the moment, so that testing will have to wait for now--but, I can see giving it a test when the opportunity is at hand.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 12:13pm

@
 TheShadow

Quote:
Just the very fact that Memtest crashes at the same test over and over indicates a problem with either the mobo itself or the RAM sockets.

If the problem was simply dirt in and around the RAM socket--I would have thought removing and replacing the RAM chips several times would have altered the behavior--which it hasn't.

Pulling the MB and testing it with it not being mounted in the box could be done when I finally get a substitute *power supply* to also test--but that will have to wait for when I have *spare* time to work on such matters.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 5:40pm

UPS that turkey on down here and I'll fix it for you.

I've got two coming in from the Carolinas and one from Canada in the next two weeks.  I get all the fun!

good luck
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:40pm

Quote:
If the problem was simply dirt in and around the RAM socket--I would have thought removing and replacing the RAM chips several times would have altered the behavior--which it hasn't.

WRONG!
Dirt down between those tiny little legs on the ram chips can hardly be seen, let alone removed by reseating the chips.
Wash them!  Then and only then can you be sure that your problem isn't just plain old dirty ram.
I see it all the time, it's nothing new!!!

I wrote this tutorial on washing ram several years ago, and it's been posted on countless forums over the years.  It still works.

Quote:
This may not be the solution to the problem that originated this thread, but many people read these threads that never post. Maybe this will help someone, someplace with a similar problem.

When ever I clean out a PC, I of course clean the CPU cooling fan and heatsink.  But right next to the CPU, in most computers, is the ram.
It gets blasted by the waste air leaving the CPU heatsink.  It also is electrically charged and attracts dust and dirt like a magnet.  I've seen ram sticks that were packed solid with dirt.

This not only causes the ram to overheat, but it can also short out from the dirt getting in between the little legs on the sides of the ram chips.
If any ram fails the memory tests or if it's just plain dirty, I always wash it.

Washing is the last step in PC board manufacturing, so it's a perfectly natural way of cleaning off impurities.

I've done this for many years and feel perfectly comfortable with it.
I just remove the ram stick from the PC, take it to the kitchen sink and rinse it off with warm water.  Then I apply a few drops of "Dawn" or whatever dishwashing liquid detergent I have handy and then use an old toothbrush to scrub all the dirt off of the ram-stick.
I really concentrate my efforts on those little leads coming off the sides of the ram chips.

Once I'm sure that I've removed all the dirt, I rinse the stick thoroughly with warm water.  Then I shake off as much water as I can and rinse again with Denatured Alcohol.  Rubbing Alcohol will work, but not as well.

Finally I shake off all the alcohol I can and place the ram-stick on edge in a warm and well veltilated place to dry.  I like to leave it overnight if I can.  If you're in a big hurry, use a hair dryer on LOW heat to dry the stick.

Then I reinstall the ram in the motherboard and run the ramtest again.
Usually, you'll find the errors are GONE.  If not, then replace the ram.

I also use this same technique for the ram on video cards when I see lines on my screen or colored pixels randomly appearing on the screen.
Ram is ram, regardless of where it's used.  When it gets dirty, it will fail.

I hope I haven't bored anyone, but I just felt that this needed some saying. 

Happy New Years Everyone!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 7:27am

In addendum:

I was researching Bad Capacitor replacement on the internet yesterday and I came across www.badcaps.net

That site was just full of info on "Bad Capacitors" and how to change them.
After reading the site, in depth, I ordered 10 capacitors for a little eMachine I'm working on.

But what really tweaked my interest was the wide variety of symptoms that can manifest from bad capacitors.
Everything from BSOD's to RAM errors.

I wonder how many sticks of ram that have been changed out, when the problem was really in a bad motherboard capacitor?

From a close examination of the cap's on this little eMachine, I noticed that the caps that are NOT bulging or leaking on the top are leaking out through the bottom.  I can see the brown stain on the motherboard around the base of those caps.
When I replace those caps, all that goo will have to be carefully cleaned away from the motherboard, before the new caps are installed. 

So far, the motherboard and ram are passing all reliability/integrity testing.  Go figure, because all 10 capacitors connected to the +5v rail, are showing signs of failure.

So, in conclusion, I'd have to say to someone with weird or miscellaneous problems, check the capacitors closest to the CPU, but don't just look at the tops of them......look around the base of the caps, where they sit on the motherboard, for brown stains or deposits on the motherboard.

Capacitors that develop excessive internal pressure will leak through the weakest point and that can be either the top or the bottom.

I hope that little tidbit helps someone.

Wishing y'all a very happy 2009!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Eremon1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 12:45pm

I remember reading someplace that there was a period of time when most board manufacturers were getting their capacitors from a bad company in China that no longer exists. When I was working for a retail computer repair facility, there was a period where it just seemed to be every third computer had a bad cap. Now it seems to be a problem reserved for older computers from that time period.

In my experience it is often just easier to replace the whole board than to search for bad caps and then replace them. Or worse yet, pay somebody else to do it for you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print