Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can't see partition and Ghost file (Read 3702 times)
Randy
Ex Member

Can't see partition and Ghost file
Dec 16th, 2008 at 5:37pm

Hi all,
This is one strange problem that only started happening since October 2008. Have never seen it in my 4 years using Ghost v2003.793. It happens in different Windows computers and in different configurations.
Ghost in PC DOS mode does not see some partitions and folders that hold .GHO files. In fact, Ghost.exe does not recognize some .GHO files even if it is recognizing the partitions and folders. This usually happens with .GHO files that are not the last one created but not always. In other word, the problem seems to be random. I tried reinstalling Ghost 2003 and updating to build 793 again with no avail. All my .GHO files for four years have always been able to restore system with no issue until now. Never have this problem before until two months ago. All my 50 something Ghost files (non-compress; 5-character name) pass integrity check by computers that behave (mostly older computers).
For example: In one computer, I have drive C, D, & E in one SATA disk. Only C drive has operating system (Windows XP SP3). D contains three folders that hold ghost files of three different creation dates. E contains the same.
When trying to restore C drive using Ghost.exe in PC DOS, E drive is not recognized. In D drive, only one folder of the most current set of Ghost file and span files is present. And that is the one that I do not want to use. Murphy’s law.  Huh
This is just one example. It seems to happen more frequently as time goes by. Like a virus.
Please help!! Thanks.

Randy

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Can't see partition and Ghost file
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 8:19pm

Why are you still installing Ghost on to your HD?
It's a dos program and should only be run from a DOS boot disk.
Even having it on your HD is totally redundant!!!!!!!!!

We've discussed this over and over again on this very forum.

Get Ghost off of your HD and onto a DOS boot disk and you'll have little or NO problems from then on.

Take that lesson from a very OLD Ghost user.  Eleven years and counting.

Cheers mate!

Happy Holidays!

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Randy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 1:41pm

Hi The Shadow,
I installed Ghost 2003 in XP because I use it to create Ghost Boot Floppy Disk.
I think you are telling me that this weird problem occurs because I had installed Ghost 2003?
I had installed Ghost for two year on the example computer, but the “Can't see partition and Ghost file” problem only start happening a couple months ago.
Please shine me more light. Thanks.

Randy

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 7:02am

Randy,
You're having a problem that I've never seen in my own use of Ghost.
Except on Vista, I've ALWAYS run Ghost from a boot floppy, ever since it came out that way in 1997.

If you name each Ghost backup differently and use some compression, you can store many Ghost images on the same drive, partition of folder.

For a little variation, you might try making a ghost backup to a DVD, using HIGH compression. 
After very intense HD Maintenance, (cleaning out the junk) I can still get a compressed image of my C: drive on a single DVD, or six gig Flash Drive.

Moving a Ghost Image file, can result in a condition very much like what you experienced.  Ghost always expects to find its files, right where it put them.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print