Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 - recovery from external drive failing Error E7D1001E (Read 12085 times)
Tomster2
N00b

Ghost 12 - recovery from external drive failing Error E7D1001E
Dec 17th, 2008 at 12:35pm

Trying to restore an image to a Dell D600Laptop.

Image was on a Western Digital My Book Network drive.  We started Network Utilities, attempted to map the drive.. but could not browse to the device.   

I have seen network connection issues before with Ghost, so instead of fighting it, we copied the image to a Western Digital My Passport drive which is a usb drive... that we then connected directly to the computer.

We could now browse to the image file we wanted... but when telling the recovery to proceed we get the error message:

Error E7D1001E Unable to read from File
Error 00000...002 The system cannot find the file specified.

This is all odd, because we have been able to connect to the Network drive previously... and I have also used a USB drive directly connected as an alternative previously as well.

The drive we are trying to overwrite is a new drive, but one that  we actually formatted and installed XP on before beginning this process. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Tomster2

Tomster2

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 12 - recovery from external drive failing Error E7D1001E
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 2:00pm

Tomster2,

Those Error codes are so unhelpful aren't they. Firstly, is the backup image any good. Did it verify when it was first created. Can you verify it from the Recovery Environment? Can you verify it from Windows using another computer that has Ghost installed?

If it verifies OK try using a different external HD with the Recovery Environment.

IP Logged

Tomster2
N00b

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 4:21pm

Found a solution.... here is the path that took me there.

I have learned the hard way to always select verify when creating Ghost Images regardless of the version of Ghost being used... so yes it was verified when it was created.

Will verify it from another machine... but so far the issue is not the image itself... it is just trying to see the USB drive in the first place.

I have tried both a WD My Passport (unpowered usb drive) and a WD powered USB drive.  Both are recognized fine on other machines.

At first it seemed that Ghost 10 does not have the ability to see a USB port.  But both ports on this machine work fine from XP.  It is just in the Ghost environment that neither drive is recognized... I am plugging both in before powering up the PC with the Ghost CD inserted and booting from there.

In the BIOS, legacy USB is enabled.

I just rebooted the machine into XP.., (it still runs) and changed the drive letter of the external powered WD USB drive from F to K. 

Rebooted again, this time from the Ghost 10 CD... this time it found the external drive.  So that solved it.  Not sure what I would do if the machine was not bootable as is.

For reference the drive letters at the start were:

A: Floppy
C: Primary partition
D: CD Drive
G: Secondary partition - which Ghost did not see before or after this.
F: Automatically picked up by WD powered USB drive.

Booting from the Ghost CD, Z (RAM Drive) and X (CD drive) were picked up by Ghost, but D, G, F were no longer visible.

Perhaps the issue is that Ghost does not recognize any drive letters between C and a secondary partition (when present)... in this case, that partition was G, meaning that D, E, F would not be recognized, but probably any letter above G would be.   I picked K at random, and it worked.

Only a guess, but other people have had luck after changing drive letters as well.  Something to consider when a secondary partition is present.

Tomster2

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 5:13pm

Tomster2,

You will be interested in this thread.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144131251

IP Logged

SloPoke
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 5:16pm

Something else must be going on.  When you boot from the Ghost system Recover Disk, it does not read the registry of any System partitions with Windows installed, and assign matching drive letters. It is a completely independent environment that knows little or nothing about any operating systems installed, and assigns drive letters to the devices and partitions it sees using the usual rules (which may not match the drive letters assigned by the OS).  So I don't see how changing a drive letter while running Windows XP could have any effect whatsoever on the drives and partitions seen or partition letters assigned when running from the SRD. Very strange.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 5:28pm

SloPoke,

That link I posted is interesting. Ghost 10 does read the WinXP registry and assigns drive letters matching WinXP driver letters. In retrospect, this is a mistake. Later Ghosts don't do this.

Tomster2, are you using Ghost 10 or 12? You have mentioned both.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 6:19pm

Just to make things more confusing, Ghost 14 does assign the same drive letters in the recovery environment as I see in Windows. Ghost 12 doesn't. In my old test computer, both Ghosts assign the same drive letters in the recovery environment as I see in Windows. As SloPoke mentioned, this is not how VistaPE typically functions.

IP Logged

SloPoke
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 12:10pm

Brian wrote on Dec 22nd, 2008 at 5:28pm:
SloPoke,

That link I posted is interesting. Ghost 10 does read the WinXP registry and assigns drive letters matching WinXP driver letters. In retrospect, this is a mistake. Later Ghosts don't do this.

I'll be darned.  I stand corrected.  I understand the reasoning behind this; trying to keep the same drive letters as was assigned by the OS to prevent confusion when restoring.  Glad they dropped that "feature" with later versions.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 2:18pm

SloPoke wrote on Dec 23rd, 2008 at 12:10pm:
Glad they dropped that "feature" with later versions. 

Looks like I got that wrong.

IP Logged

Tomster2
N00b

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 10:24am

I was out of the loop for the holidays... am getting the same error message, but a different situation. 

Unfortunately, although I can now access the files on the external USB drive, the image restore process keeps failing with the message:

"E7D1001E Unable to read from file.   Error 00000002 The system cannot find the file specified." 

Working with Ghost 12 image that was verified when created.  There are several incrementals for different dates... so far have tried several dates... but keep getting the same error message. 

Anyone have any idea what "the file specified is".

Options on restore are:
Verify recovery before restore - unchecked (tried it checked, no difference)
Check for file system errors after recovery - unchecked
Set Drive active for booting - checked
Restore original disk signature - checked (also tried unchecked, no difference)
Restore MBR - unchecked

Thanks.

Tomster2

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 1:25pm

HERE

Similar error messages. It was due to a hardware issue.

BESR is Ghost's big brother.

IP Logged

Tomster2
N00b

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 2:26pm

Except it was different computers and different external drives.

The image I am trying to recover has a baseline and about 14 incrementals.   All of the incrementals are failing... but the baseline image ran without the error message. 

It seems like a problem related to compiling the incrementals.

Tomster2

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print