Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ShadowProtect Desktop + a file backup program (like Genie/Second Copy) installed on 1 machine? (Read 9376 times)
RogueLover
N00b

I Love Radified!

ShadowProtect Desktop + a file backup program (like Genie/Second Copy) installed on 1 machine?
Dec 29th, 2008 at 10:31pm

I know you aren't supposed to have 2 image cloning programs installed on the same system (i.e. Norton Ghost and ShadowProtect Desktop), but is it ok to have an image cloning program and a file/folder backup program both installed on the same machine?

I want to have ShadowProtect Desktop plus Genie Backup Manager (or Second Copy 7) installed on my machine. SPD for C: drive system backups, and GBM/SC7 for photos, music, email, saved games, etc...

Any thoughts, ideas, advice on if this is possible to have them coexist?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: ShadowProtect Desktop + a file backup program (like Genie/Second Copy) installed on 1 machine?
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 11:47pm

RogueLover wrote on Dec 29th, 2008 at 10:31pm:
I know you aren't supposed to have 2 image cloning programs installed on the same system

RogueLover,

What you propose is fine. No problems at all. I have an imaging program and Second Copy 7. SC7 backs up files/folders from my Data partition and writes the backup to another HD. Automatically, on a schedule. It only takes a few minutes to run each day. Similarly, the imaging app runs on a schedule.

It helps if you have your data separated from the OS partition otherwise the OS image becomes large. Keep the OS lean and mean. Makes for faster images and restores.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/49222-moving-windows-xp-default-folders-rev...

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: ShadowProtect Desktop + a file backup program (like Genie/Second Copy) installed on 1 machine?
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 8:32am

A little different approach to backing up important data files.

I probably add something to my "My Documents" folder on a daily basis. (a new picture, document, etc.)

But I only do a full partition backup. with Ghost 2003, once a week (normally).
My answer to the problem was right in front of me..... a program that's built into Windows just as it was available in DOS.
XCOPY

I wrote a simple little batch file incorporating XCOPY to back up my entire "My Documents" folder to my Storage hard drive.
Here's that batch file.

@Echo off
cls
xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Randy\My Documents\*.*" "D:\My Documents\" /s /y /H /R /D

A similar lines can be created for other folders that contain important data.

The switches at the end of the command line, cause the program to only back up files that have been changed or added.  So it takes only a second or two for the program to run.

There are many ways to run that batch file.
Run it manually.... that's obvious.
Run it from a shortcut in the Startup folder, for an automatic daily backup.
Or, run it from the task scheduler.

I can modify the program (batch file) any time I like and even add more lines to it, and it never cost me a cent and there's NO added software loading down my PC.

I've been using this technique since the DOS days to backup critical data.  I love Quick, Easy and Simple, but most of all I love CHEAP!

Happy New Year!

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 3:20pm

The Shadow has it right as far as I am concerned. I follow the same approach.  I use ghost  only to back up my boot or system drive, which I boot by a floppy, CD or Thumb drive. All work fine. I back up my data, which is on a separate drive using xcopy.

XCOPY D:\"MYDOCS"\*.* H:\"MYDOCS"*.* /E/I/F/H/K/D/Y

In this case "H" could be any external flash drive, thumb drive, etc

Jerry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: ShadowProtect Desktop + a file backup program (like Genie/Second Copy) install
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 8:23pm

I haven't used XCOPY. If you delete a file from My Documents, does XCOPY delete it from the backup drive?

IP Logged

RogueLover
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 6:04am

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not that tech savvy to run XCopy. I was debating between Simple Copy 7 and Genie Backup Manager, and I just went to Genie's website and noticed a 50% off "sale" for New Years. So I decided I would go with their software for now. I was told by their support staff that Genie Backup 2009 will be coming out soon also and will have Imaging backup capabilities too. Interesting to see how that all plays out.

Now I hope GBM plays nicely with ShadowProtect.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print