Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
External hard drive thinks it is a DVD/CD drive (Read 2997 times)
Robert Reznikoff
N00b

I Love Radified!

Pike Road AL

External hard drive thinks it is a DVD/CD drive
Jan 22nd, 2009 at 6:57pm

Hard Drive thinks it is a DVD/CD drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My "External Hi-Speed USB2 2GB Hard Drive" has worked fine as a means to back up my internal C Drive using Ghost 10. The external drive was E:/ My problem started when my F:/ CD drive failed and I replaced it with an internal Memorex DVD/CD LightScribe Multi Format Recorder Model MRX-530L on drive F:/.

I don't know how it happened, but my computer changed the drive letter designations for the two drives. Since my files on the Simple Tech Drive were stored when it was the E:/ drive, I needed to change the drive designation back to E:/ I googled for a way to do that and I was able to change the letter of the drive. Only, when I tried to use Ghost 10 to back up I was unable to backup as I got the message that the E:/ drive is a DVD/CD drive and with insufficent capacity to back up my hard drive. I believe there must be a line in my registry that mislabels my external hard drive as my Memorex DVD/CD drive. Furthermore, the F:/ drive is no longer listed at all and the "New Found Hardware" can't find the driver. I have the software to add the driver, but I think I have to get the external hard drive corrected first before I again try to add the DVD/CD drive.  Or maybe I need to dismount both drives and start fresh.  If so, how would I do that?

What do I do now? Please explain in simple steps.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: External hard drive thinks it is a DVD/CD drive
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 12:36am

Dismounting both drives should be a simple mater of powering the computer off, disconnecting both, then powering it back on.  And I think that's a good place to start.

I don't fully understand why you had to manually modify the drive letter.  I don't recommend that unless it's absolutely necessary because it can confuse Windows, as you have seen.  It usually isn't necessary.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print