Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating Boot DVD with Nero and Ghost (Read 10365 times)
Bob C
N00b

Ghost me!

Ohio

Creating Boot DVD with Nero and Ghost
Feb 4th, 2009 at 4:44pm

I know there is a simple answer and I hope I don't get stoned for this.  I am using Nero to creat a boot DVD so that I can put GHOST and some images on it.  When I create the boot DVD it boots fine but the ghost exe and gho isn't there.  I added the ghost exe and the images in the folder they don't show up.  Funny thing is I had a ghosterr.txt in the folder and it shows up.  What's up?

Thanks
Keep the stones small!

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Creating Boot DVD with Nero and Ghost
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 4:51pm

OK....I'm throwing pea-gravel (small enough?)
are you trying to first make a DVD and then put ghost on it?

You should know better'n that!!!!! (larger gravel)

Everything has to be in the initial burn.

That's why I set everything up on a flash drive that I've made bootable, then add whatever you want and when you have it exactly the way you want it, ONLY THEN do you burn it to a CD/DVD with Nero.

Your original stays on the flash drive where you can make all your changes and add things.  Then just burn a new disk.

I've typed till my fingers bled, documenting this whole process, mouse click by mouse click. (How to make a flash drive bootable)

I have a number of small flash drives, with Ghost, Partition Magic 8 and other utilities, ready to be burned to a CD when needed.

To this old tech, that's the only sensible way to do it.  It's just so darned simple.  (Even a cave man could do it!!!!)  Wink Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

OK, no more rocks.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 5:01pm

Ok, I'm a goof, replying to my own post, , , deal with it! Wink Grin Grin Grin

I just wanted to mention that I always boot up my XP PC with Ghost 2003 on a boot floppy, when I want to put my Ghost backup on a DVD.
When I do that, Ghost will automatically put itself on the DVD making it bootable.  NO second or third steps are required.  It's all done in one pass and I have a bootable backup DVD.....it don't get no better'n that!!
Ghost was originally written to do this.

Baking up your computer is just so much easier when you use the correct version of Ghost and run it the way it was originally written to be run.
(no more rocks)

Cheers Mate!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:15pm

TheShadow wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 5:01pm:
Baking up your computer is just so much easier
Cheers Mate!
Shadow  Cool

I usually just FRY mine!!  Undecided Grin Grin Wink

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 9:02am

Burn, FRY or Saute' its all a matter of taste!

By the way......Not having a floppy disk drive in a computer is only a momentary setback.
That problem is solved as quick as plugging in an External USB Floppy drive. (they are SO cheap these days)
Then you can boot the system with a ghost (2003) boot floppy, and it thinks its on drive A: and will put itself on a backup DVD, thus making it bootable.  Job done....with no fuss and no muss.

Everything falls into place, when you run the correct program from the correct media and run it the way it was designed to be run.
Otherwise, a person can just be 'Jousting with wind-mills'.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
Cool

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2009 at 4:04pm

Dang Shadow!
I first thought you were being a bit hard there.
But just in case, I tried it just the way you said and what do you know----------------------It worked. Wink

Now I make my Ghost backups often, to my DVD drive and let Ghost put itself on the DVD.
That's as good as any Factory Restore disk that I've ever seen, minus the spyware and other mucked up software that comes on a new PC.
And MY DVD is all up to date.

Thanks Bud!

EDIT:  The only problem I can see with the USB Floppy drive is that some PC bios's are so inept that they won't boot from a USB floppy drive.
Some are even so bad that they will only boot from a HD or CD.   Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print