Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 11.5 and bootable USB (Read 19530 times)
Hellsbones
Gnarly

Use 105MM Shells, Bring
the rain!

USA-Midwest

Ghost 11.5 and bootable USB
Feb 11th, 2009 at 10:12am

Alright all you smart folks out there, here's the one that i've actually gotten a few new grey hairs about.

USING: Steps and techniques as provided by Shadow in his post regarding the creation of a bootable USB Thumbdrive/Pendrive/Whateveryouwanttocallit drive, XMSDSK to create a ramdrive labeled R:, mouse.com, and a slight variation of some nifty batch files (mainly for copying dos programs into the ramdrive and running from there), and appropriate dos based USB drivers. I have created a bootable USB stick.

HOWEVER: when I start the computer and have it boot from said pen drive, it hangs when loading the usbaspi.sys. I have tried several different combinations of command switches (/e /o /u) and nothing seems to work. The specific error is "driver constant in memory" and then it just hangs and never pushes forward from there.

ALSO: Using ghost 11.5, is it somehow able to see/use external usb HDDs without above mentioned usb drivers? I'm so confused. I'm used to using Ghost 8.0 (Ghost32) from within a BartPE disk and i'm just trying to improve the process while keeping it as simple as possible.

Your input is encouraged and welcomed, thanks in advance.

Kick it down range and draw fire!
Hellsbones asianredneck  
IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Ghost 11.5 and bootable USB
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 2:12pm

Since there is no such product as Ghost 11.5; what Symantec product do you have? There is more than one corporate product which includes the Ghost cloning tools now.

IP Logged

Hellsbones
Gnarly

Use 105MM Shells, Bring
the rain!

USA-Midwest

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 3:21pm

Quote:
Since there is no such product as Ghost 11.5; what Symantec product do you have? There is more than one corporate product which includes the Ghost cloning tools now.

Well, it's funny you should say that there is no such product as Ghost 11.5 because that's exactly what my ghost screen in dos is showing me.  Maybe i'm just wrong, but my eyes are deceiving me.  Funny, when i'm in DOS and I run the Ghost /ver it even shows Symantec Ghost 11.5.0 build 2113, ......April 22 2009, so I'm assuming from what you're saying, that's not the product is it? But it IS a fully functional ghost.....hmmmmmm.

To further answer your question, I don't "have" a Symantec product, if you're referring to something like Norton Ghost 9, yes I have that, but i'm using Ghost 11.5 which you say doesn't exist for whatever reason. I'm old school, I don't use any of the newer symantec ghosting software/suites.

Let me know if I can provide you with any more information on the product that I don't have but seem to be running.

Hellsbones asianredneck  
IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 5:12pm

Hellsbones wrote on Feb 11th, 2009 at 3:21pm:
I don't "have" a Symantec product

That was actually pretty obvious, I just felt like pointing it out this time for the benefit of Rad and Pleo, who probably aren't really aware just how much of the discussion here (and it's a lot) is simply about facilitating piracy and not legitimate at all.

IP Logged

Hellsbones
Gnarly

Use 105MM Shells, Bring
the rain!

USA-Midwest

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 11:29pm

Quote:
Hellsbones wrote on Feb 11th, 2009 at 3:21pm:
I don't "have" a Symantec product

That was actually pretty obvious, I just felt like pointing it out this time for the benefit of Rad and Pleo, who probably aren't really aware just how much of the discussion here (and it's a lot) is simply about facilitating piracy and not legitimate at all.

Funny, i didn't see where my post shouted out that I was trying to pirate the software to begin with. Perhaps you might want to stay on topic with your future postings.

Where the software came from to me is completely inconsequential considering it's widely available as just the ghost executable almost everywhere on the internet. I know tons of companies both locally and nationally that while they won't outright say they own a licensed copy of the software, they're using either ghostcast server or ghost in its DOS form anyway because it gets the job done. I know, i've worked for a few companies and even pointed that out several times. Always got the same answer, "As long as we're not installing it on a computer, it gets the job done the way we need it. And anyways, it was obtained freely over the internet.

SOOOOOO, before you go bashing me and running off topic about my post, realize that 90% or better of the people using the software MOST LIKELY don't outright own a legit copy. And if you do, good for you.

If you're like most of the seasoned technicians I know, yeah, you carry some pirated software, who doesn't? What it comes down to in the field and on the job sometimes is you do whatever it takes by whatever means necessary to get the computer running for the customer is the shortest amount of time possible. If that means you use pirated software once to accomplish that, yeah go for it as long as you leave NO traces on the customer/client machine and you don't do it habitually. Someone once told me the best software that does the job is still always going to be the free stuff, well this my friend, was a free download. Can't help it if someone took ghost out of their programs folder and slapped it on the internet for everyone else to have.

And finally, just so you know everything, I do have legit copies of ghost 7 and 8 (2003). I got a hold of this one and was testing it to see if there were any benefits to switching to it instead of what I have been using.  Don't come here busting my chops when you don't know the whole real deal.

Hellsbones asianredneck  
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 12:17am

@
 Hellsbones

Parts of this thread will be of interest. It's about using software that one hasn't paid for.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1214194145/0

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:14am

Is this forum now just for Blasting people for what might be called "Piracy" or for helping people with their backup problems?
If it's just for the above purpose, I would suggest that those who are offended by such accusations as well as myself, go to a different forum for help. There are plenty of them on the internet, where you can get help without being called names.

I personally have Ghost 11.5, which I got off of one of those "Ultimate Boot CD's" that I found a link-to right here on this very forum. Wink
It looks and runs from a DOS boot disk, exactly like Ghost 2003 does, but it will back up Windows Vista, where Ghost 2003 will NOT.
It's too big to fit on a boot floppy, but runs nicely from a boot CD or Flash Drive.

Nigel, you can deny it's existence all you want but to the people already running it, you're sounding like an id10t.  I know you're a Symantec employee and you must stick to the "Party Line" but sometimes it gets pretty OLD when you start calling people "Pirates".

Mr Bones, is it necessary for you to run Ghost from a boot Flash Drive or can you just as easily boot from a CD?  I find in most cases, booting from a Flash Drive is more of an Exercise, just for fun, than a necessity.  
I do it, just because I can..... not because I have to.

All the stuff you mentioned about RAM drives, etc., is just not necessary.
Ghost 11.5 runs quite nicely from a boot CD and will access every drive on your system without special drivers, IF your motherboard lists those drives in its own 'drive list'.  Or to say that another way, Ghost should be able to see everything that your motherboard can see.
At least, that's the way it is on all my own systems.

I like to set up Ghost on a Flash Drive before I burn it to a CD, so I can set up my options in the Ghost.ini file.  You can't do that, once Ghost is burned to a CD.
Be aware, if Ghost runs into an error when run from a CD, it can't write the error to its Ghosterr.txt file and can hang.
So, if you're running Ghost from a CD, make sure you do it right, so there won't be any errors. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Hellsbones
Gnarly

Use 105MM Shells, Bring
the rain!

USA-Midwest

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 9:22am

Brian wrote on Feb 12th, 2009 at 12:17am:
@
 Hellsbones

Parts of this thread will be of interest. It's about using software that one hasn't paid for.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1214194145/0

Are you people on crack? Of course I know the policy on promoting pirated software. Yet again, I'll refer BACK to my original post, NOWHERE in there did I once say, "HEY! I just got a free ripped version of Ghost 11.5 and here's the link to download it. And oh btw, can someone help with what i'm trying to do?"

No, I came in and asked a very simple question providing very specific information so people who can and want to help, LIKE Shadow, would be able to readily identify what I'm using in order to better help and resolve my issue and provide the appropriate level of guidance.

@ Nigel,

You don't want people pirating your software you help write/develop, write better software that can't be pirated. Until you/your company and every other software developing company does that and moves past this crap about people pirating "the best" software, nothing's going to change. If you want to complain about being the best of the best, you need to start thinking like the rest. If there's a way to do it, somone's going to find it and you need to be one step ahead of that someone. Start looking into making your software "locked" after installation so that things like this can't happen. But then again, you're the software developer(?) i'm sure you already thought of those bigger issues that you say everyone needs to look at from the grand scheme of things right?

No, i'm not a software developer by any means, however what I am is an enduser technician that supports 3000+ people throughout the state. My job is to fix the problem. That's what I do, and thankfully because of software reps like yourself, I have just another reason to go give the contract to your competitors. AT the very least, I know that when I go to them, they're not going to immediately call me a software pirate because i'm standing there with a govt contract for their product.  Stop being an ass and realize that until YOU (since you seem to speak for your company)fix the problem at your level, it's still going to be a problem.

@Admins, Mods, and others with Authority to do so,

I apologize for my rants, my behaviors and comments in this posting. However, in light of the things I have said, I know that the better part of this community as well as any other online community is in fact using misappropriately acquired software for whatever purposes. We are here as an online forum for "HELPING" people resolve issues, provide technical support, provide our knowledge in the hopes that we can all somehow somewhere, fix the problems at hand. In that aspect, that's how I came into this forum, this specific posting. If there's something wrong with that, PM me, tell me i'm wrong, and tell me to leave and I will without question because there are plenty of other sites online that I could go to, but I CHOSE to come here because of the insurmountable knowledge from people LIKE Shadow.

@Everyone else,

I apologize to you all, I'm not normally this much of "an @ss" in forums, but truely, I hate being pointed at and someone trying to make me be their example whether right or wrong and for whatever reason. Sorry if i've offended any of you with this particular post.

@ Shadow,

Thanks for your input, I didn't think about creating a ghost.ini file, i'll have a look at that. Yes I was throwing it on a thumbdrive for, as you said, an exercise to see that it would run. As always, your input is greatly appreciated and more than welcomed.

Hellsbones asianredneck  
IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:42pm

Mr Bones,
As I've said so many times before, if you want to set up Ghost on a CD, it's very advantageous to set it up first on a re-writable media, like a floppy or flash drive.  Once the program is burned to a CD, you can't just go in and edit things like batch files, Ghost.ini files, etc.
CD's are READ ONLY devices.

Many times since I first burned my Ghost boot disk to a CD, I've wanted to change some little thing, like one of my batch files or the Ghost.ini file.

Well, having the original of that CD on a flash drive, makes it easy to do the editing and then just burn a new CD and you're in business.
I use only Nero for burning my Ghost CD's.  Nothing is any simpler. Wink

Everyone who's ever read me on this or the other twenty or so forums that I work, knows darn'd well that I like things SIMPLE!  If it ain't simple, I don't want anything to do with it.  I'm too old and cranky to struggle with things that are overly complicated.

So to keep Ghost 11.5 (Friends, it really DOES exist) working the way I want it, I keep the original of my ghost Boot cd on a 256meg flash drive. 
Then if I need to make some little change, I do it on the Flash Drive and then just burn a new CD.
Or I can just boot my PC with the Flash Drive. 
That's actually much faster than a CD. Wink Roll Eyes Grin Grin

If my flash drive should die, I just copy all the files from the CD back to any other FAT-32 drive (in DOS) and work with those files there.

For anyone with the least bit of Dos experience, this whole thing is simple as falling off a log.

That's all folks!

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Hellsbones
Gnarly

Use 105MM Shells, Bring
the rain!

USA-Midwest

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:21am

Hellsbones wrote on Feb 11th, 2009 at 10:12am:
Alright all you smart folks out there, here's the one that i've actually gotten a few new grey hairs about.

USING: Steps and techniques as provided by Shadow in his post regarding the creation of a bootable USB Thumbdrive/Pendrive/Whateveryouwanttocallit drive, XMSDSK to create a ramdrive labeled R:, mouse.com, and a slight variation of some nifty batch files (mainly for copying dos programs into the ramdrive and running from there), and appropriate dos based USB drivers. I have created a bootable USB stick.

HOWEVER: when I start the computer and have it boot from said pen drive, it hangs when loading the usbaspi.sys. I have tried several different combinations of command switches (/e /o /u) and nothing seems to work. The specific error is "driver constant in memory" and then it just hangs and never pushes forward from there.

ALSO: Using ghost 11.5, is it somehow able to see/use external usb HDDs without above mentioned usb drivers? I'm so confused. I'm used to using Ghost 8.0 (Ghost32) from within a BartPE disk and i'm just trying to improve the process while keeping it as simple as possible.

Your input is encouraged and welcomed, thanks in advance.

It should be noted that I have uncovered what I think is part of the problem, any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

"I'm working on a project that can boot from flash media, the issue i'm having is that if I have USB legacy turned on, I can see one type of USB connection such as my USB attached drives. However, I lose the ability to use USB connected mouse and keyboard. If I turn off USB Legacy, I can use mouse and keyboard, but lose visibility of USB attached drives, this is the delima i've been facing for the past few weeks."

Hellsbones asianredneck  
IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 10:53am

On my MSI mobo, those functions are separate....not all together.
Legacy USB support and USB mouse and keyboard support are two separate settings.

But anyway, I can access my USB drives and run Ghost XXX  with my USB mouse, at the same time. 
Success or failure with these USB things seems to rely mostly in the capabilities of the mobo itself.
Many mobo's in Name Brand PC's are not very capable at all. Cry

Are you using any mouse driver at all?  Or just going al'natural?
I just use "Mouse.com".

With SO MANY variations in Bios's and mobo's, there is NO pat answer to many problems, with USB devices.  You just have to experiment around with different things till you find something that works for you.

Good Luck,
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print