Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GHOST 2003 FROM THUMB DRIVE ... HARD DRIVE BEEP! (Read 8746 times)
Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

GHOST 2003 FROM THUMB DRIVE ... HARD DRIVE BEEP!
Mar 1st, 2009 at 1:35pm

Never heard this before. Nevertheless, in a backup today, my hard drive beeped (single-beep) about every 15 seconds all the way through the imaging process. New sata drive (four or five months old). Same type of single-beep when you hear a drive boot up. I am going to run a verify on the image right after this post to see if anything is going on there. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Jerry/Jer

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: GHOST 2003 FROM THUMB DRIVE ... HARD DRIVE BEEP!
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 7:47am

There is NO beeper on a hard drive.  Only, on a motherboard.
One beep during boot up is normal, expected and GOOD. 
Any beeps after that could mean 'trouble'.

An image Verify (Check) should be done right after making the image, and before you exit out of Ghost.  The Verify goes much faster than the backup so shouldn't take much time at all.

Cool

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 11:36am

Thanks Shadow
My ignorance on where the beep came from. Verify checked OK! In subsequent imaging the beep during the process disappeared. Motherboard is new, although I realize that is a non-factor as even new board go flaky. Will continue to listen
Jerry/jer

IP Logged

Spanky
Radmeister

Rad's non-Admin Test profile
in Seamonkey

Same as Rad

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:27pm

Never heard of that either. Your motherboard manual should contain a section on exactly what the beep sequence signifies. Sometimes it means there's a problem with the memory, or some other hardware. Can't imagine it's a good thing. Repeatable or 1-time only?

IP Logged

Hellsbones
Gnarly

Use 105MM Shells, Bring
the rain!

USA-Midwest

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:43pm

Kick it down range and draw fire!
Hellsbones asianredneck  
IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 8:01am

I've not heard any beep codes in so long, that if I did, I'd be thoroughly FREAKED OUT!

But just for grins and giggles, if I heard those beeps, I'd probably shut down the system, and remove the power cord from the PC.  Then I'd remove the CMOS battery, for at least 20 minutes, and check it.  It should be at least 3.0 vdc, (on a digital volt meter) or I'd replace it with a new one.

While the battery is out, I'd remove the ram and clean the edge connector(s) with a clean cloth dampened in Denatured Alcohol and then reinstall it 'firmly'.

EDIT:  I recently got some new ram from a well known vendor and it came in factory sealed anti-static pouches.  When first installed, it didn't work.
The motherboard beeped incessantly.  I removed the ram, cleaned it with Alcohol, reinstalled it and everything worked 100%.

Then I'd check any plug-in cards and all power connectors and data lines to the drives.  
(all this is just a normal Preventive Maintenance Inspection)

EDIT: The little data cables to SATA drives don't fit real tight and can come loose just by bumping against them.  I secure them to the drive with my
HOT GLUE
gun.

After all that was done, I'd replace the CMOS battery, attach the power cord and reboot the system, entering the bios on boot up and resetting the date and time, boot sequence, etc.

I've seen a good PM (Preventive Maintenance) remove a myriad assortment of weird and misc. problems.

Don't forget to check all the cooling fans, (cpu, video card, PSU, case).

PTL

The Doctor  Cool

IP Logged

Hellsbones
Gnarly

Use 105MM Shells, Bring
the rain!

USA-Midwest

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 9:51am

Denatured Alcohol to clean memory brass (precious metals)connectors? There's something new to me. Unless it's a completely submerged system like the Reactor Computer ($10,500 nicely equipped), I don't stick any kind of parts in any fluids or fluids inside any parts. I learned alot of what I know from a very arrogant man from India who told me that all I knew, my certifications, all my education didn't mean squat. Thankfully I no longer work for him and he's since then returned to India after his business got bought out.

One of the things I did learn from him however is that using a regular pencil eraser will clean the brass connectors better than anything due to it having ultra fine pieces of glass to make it abrasive enough to remove lead. Didn't believe him until I tried it. Damn that guy was arrogant as hell. Smart too. Too bad there aren't more just smart and less arrogant people around these days.

Kick it down range and draw fire!
Hellsbones asianredneck  
IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #7 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 9:43pm

I have learned more from the aggregate of comments posted here that in a lot of books I have read. No body knows it all. And the books continue to be re-written. There are a couple of proverbs that illustrate the importance of at least listening to the wisdom of others who may have experience that we don’t.

(Proverbs 9:9) Give to a wise person and he will become still wiser. . . . From the Holy Bible

I try to keep listening, and learning. Keep it coming guys. I am all ears.  I started this post, and look what I have learned by listening and reading.

Jerry/Jer

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 8:09am

FWIW:
A standard pencil eraser contains a lot of OIL and rubber.  The only approved eraser for GOLD (not brass) edge connectors is a Rust Eraser or Ink Eraser that indeed contains very little oil and some grit.
I saved ITT Courier corp. millions of dollars in rework costs, by instituting a PC Board, edge connector cleaning program.  I would get a reworked board from ITT and it wouldn't work.  All I had to do was clean the edge connector and the board would work 100%.  A tech bulletin went out to every ITT field tech, worldwide, telling them how to clean the edge connectors on every plug-in card, before installing them.

I did a whole thread here, (or was that another forum?) on washing ram.
When ram gets dirty, from the blast from the CPU cooler, it can short out and fail.  Just washing it returns it to like-new condition.
For the simple edge connector, I just use a clean, soft cloth dampened with Denatured Alcohol.  For the really filthy ram, I take it to the kitchen sink and scrub it with detergent and warm water and an old toothbrush.
Then after a thorough rinsing in warm water and an Alcohol Rinse, I set it in a well ventilated place to dry.  If I'm in a big hurry, I might use a hair dryer on LOW heat to get it dry.
I've rejuvenated many, many a stick of ram with this process.
It's nothing new to the electronics industry.

I used to design and build printed circuits boards and washing was a vital part of the process.
I could go on and on, but lets leave it there.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
The Shadow  Cool

Here's a prime example of DIRTY ram.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print