Send Topic Print
RENAMING GHOST FILES (Read 6494 times)
Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

RENAMING GHOST FILES
Mar 7th, 2009 at 10:36am

This may seem non-important to most, but, neverthess I have a question regarding the naming process of ghost files.

Is it possible to rename files after the image is made? Or does ghost need the original name because it has somehow recorded the original name of the file somewhere in the file during the copy and restore process? In other words, does it look for that original name?

To illustrate, I named the image 1-BB.GHO. The additional GHS files is subsequently named 1-BB00001.GHS

Are all the zeros really necessary with the size of image files I am making. I never end up with more that two or three of the GHS files. Can the name in this case be shortened somehow to 1-BB01.GHS ... or something similar.

Thanks for any help
Jerry/Jer

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Re: RENAMING GHOST FILES
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 3:16pm

I looked in options just prior to running the backup, and could see nothing there either
Jerry

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 5:34pm

Jer,
A Ghost backup file is a file that follows the DOS naming sequence......8.3....
that's eight characters for the filename, a dot followed by a three character extension.

Why don't you just give the file an eight character name to begin with and then don't mess with it.

I use the naming convention  XP030709 and let Ghost put the extensions on it as it sees fit.   Start messing around with things like names, after Ghost has written the file and you could shoot yourself in the foot, by making the file unreadable.

You undoubtedly have better things to do than fuss with filenames!  right?

The above filename convention tells me what drive I'm Ghosting and the date..... that makes up my eight characters.  For Vista the name would be something like "VI030709".
When I have a dozen or more Ghost backup files on my Storage drive, those filenames keep things in perfect order and I can tell at a glance, which files go with what backup.

I used the heck out of Ghost 2003 today, as I migrated everything from a Seagate 160 gig SATA drive to a newer 200 gig Maxtor SATA drive.
Ghost 2003 came thru for me again.

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:38pm

'SHADOW'
You amaze me. Not really ... because I know you know ghost. Much appreciated
Jerry/Jer

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 9:06am

Jer,
You know I like "Simple", right?
I put both sweetener and whitener in my morning coffee.
That's as complicated as I want to get. Wink

I try to keep other operations, like running Ghost, as SIMPLE as possible.

Remember the old song lyrics, "Don't spit into the wind...... don't tug on Superman's cape".   That's good advise, but I add to that "Don't mess with Ghost".  Run it the way it was meant to be run and then don't mess with it.  That's the very best advise I can give to anyone.

Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print