Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003: Back up onto mapped network drive (Read 16052 times)
TheobaldTiger
N00b

I Love Radified!

Norton Ghost 2003: Back up onto mapped network drive
Mar 25th, 2009 at 3:19pm

To whom it may concern:

I am trying to use Norton Ghost 2003 under Windows XP Professional in order to back up the entire system partition onto a mapped network drive.

While I have been able to back up C: (system) onto D: (data) on the same computer, back up onto mapped network drive Z: or Y:, visible under windows, does not work.

After start up of PC DOS the IBM Protocol Manager appears and that's it. After restart the log file has the status failed.

Apparently, Norton Ghost cannot connect to the network drive?

Please help.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Norton Ghost 2003: Back up onto mapped network drive
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 12:53am

@
TheobaldTiger

Well, mapped drives using Ghost is not something I've done--so I hope pointing you in the right direction is all you need!

Here's the outline from the Ghost 2003 User Guide:

Ghost 2003 User Guide, page 48

Basically, you go through the steps to create a backup--the Windows mapped HDD should be a destination to choose for that step.  You will come to the step where you can click on the *Advanced settings...* button.  Press that and then the tab *Mapped Network Drive*.  Fill in the required information.  That should add the needed information to the DOS *virtual partition* that you will boot to in order to access a mapped network HDD.

One of the boxes is called *Map to:*--that's supposed to be the *network resource*--I hope you know what that means--I don't know what syntax that is supposed to be, but I suspect it's something like:  X:\\servername\sharename

I think I saw a thread that indicated that Ghost would not work unless the Microsoft default Workgroup name was used--but, I can't remember for sure if that was in regards to what you are trying to do.

Also, I know on my old system--if the system did not first power down, the previous Windows settings for the network card would not reset if a *warm* re-boot was done--which is what the Windows Ghost interface does--on my system, I would have to allow the re-boot to start, and then during the beginning of the boot sequence to DOS--power off, then power back on--then the system's BIOS would reset the network card to the DOS resources--if the power remained on, then the network card retained the Windows settings for the network card, and DOS failed to *see* the systems network card--but, your system may not require that.

Let us know how it goes!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheobaldTiger
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 2:06am

In configuring the back up process I get the following device information:

Human Interface Device                        USB 1.1 Warning
Broadcom Corp. -BLUETOOTH USB +EDR AD ...      USB 1.1      Warning
Firewire storage controller                  IEEE 1394 Accessible

saying with regard to the network card (item #4):

The type of this USB device could not be determined, so it may not be accessible in the Virtual Partition. You may need to add drivers for it in the User Files section of the Advanced Settings dialog.

In the Advanced Settings under the tab Mapped Network Drive I specified the network driver:

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, i.e. b57xp32.sys,

Maps to: \\Land\D40545 (F)

Default Workgroup/Domain: GHNETCLIENTWGP

only to get the result described above.

Should Norton Ghost 2003 thus be able to use the network card?

Please also see log view below. What settings are missing?

BackupOperation 0

-- GHOST\GSCRIPT.TXT ----------------------------------------------------------

[BackupOperation]
AlreadyProcessedFile = YES
CompressionParam = 1
DestFingerprintParam =
ExecutionStateParam = ExecutionNotStarted
FileIdParam = 4092828
PathParam = \090331~1.GHO
RealNetworkPath = \090331_image.gho
SourceFingerprintParam = 6aab1ecd-28fd-4d6f-959a-99627620b70a
UseImageDescriptionParam = YES
UseLFOParam = NO
WindowsPathParam = Z:\090331_image.gho

-- AUTOEXEC.BAT ---------------------------------------------------------------

@echo off
SET PATH=C:\GHOST;C:\
SET PROMPT=To return to Windows, type ghreboot and press Enter.$_$p$g
SET TZ=GHO-01:00
SET PATH=\NET;%PATH%;
SET TEMP=\
SET TCPHELP=\NET
SET ETCDIR=\NET
if "%CONFIG%" == "WINDOWS" goto WINDOWS
\NET\NET START
\NET\NET.EXE USE Z: "\\Land\D40545 (F)"
MOUSE.COM
CD \GHOST
GHWRAP.EXE
goto EOF

:WINDOWS
\GHOST\GHREBOOT.EXE

:EOF
-- CONFIG.SYS -----------------------------------------------------------------

[MENU]
menuitem=GHOST,Run Norton Ghost Dos Operation
menuitem=WINDOWS,Return to Windows without running Norton Ghost
menudefault=GHOST,3

[GHOST]
DEVICEHIGH=HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICEHIGH=\NET\PROTMAN.DOS /i:\NET
DEVICEHIGH=\NET\b57xp32.sys
DEVICEHIGH=\NET\NTSTS.DOS
DEVICEHIGH=\NET\DLSHELP.SYS

[WINDOWS]

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 2:30am

TheobaldTiger,

I've used this disk to backup and restore over a wired network.  I've used it with Image for DOS and Ghost 2003. You can even automate it. Just boot from the disk and the backup or restore is done.

http://www.netbootdisk.com/

http://www.netbootdisk.com/forums/

IP Logged

TheobaldTiger
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 8:27am

I don't have a floppy drive, only CD.

Is there a way I can create a startup CD with these features without having to create a floppy disk first?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 11:29am

TheobaldTiger wrote on Mar 31st, 2009 at 8:27am:
I don't have a floppy drive, only CD.

You could build the floppy in another computer and convert it to a CD for use in your computer. Or you could build a bootable USB flash drive.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 8:09pm

I never run Ghost 2003 from Windows, but b57xp32.sys looks to me like a 32-bit Windows driver.  I would expect autoexec.bat needs a DOS driver instead.  A DOS driver would normally have a .DOS extension.

I have also used NetBootDisk, and will second Brian's recommendation.  I run it from a CD.

If you don't have a floppy drive, you really ought to at least have a virtual floppy drive.  It comes in handy at a time like this.

Download and install the virtual floppy drive program, and launch it.  It will grab a portion of ram and treat it exactly like a 1.44MB floppy disk.  In 'My Computer', right-click and format the virtual floppy as a startup disk.  Download NetBootDisk, extract it to a temp folder, launch makedisk.bat, and have it build a netboot disk on the virtual floppy.  Back in the virtual floppy control panel, save the contents of ram to a file (e.g., "floppy.bin"), then you can shut down the virtual floppy program.  You now have a raw binary image of an actual boot floppy.

If your CD burning program can create a bootable CD, choose that option.  When it asks you to insert your boot floppy, just browse to the floppy.bin file instead.

Alternatively, you can probably create a bootable USB flash drive without much trouble, though I've never run NetBootDisk that way so can't speak from experience.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 11:20pm

Dan, thanks for those instructions on Virtual Floppy Drive. I'd tried it once before and became confused. It's easy now.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 12:01am

TheobaldTiger,

NetBootDisk contains drivers for about 100 NICs so you would have to be unlucky to have an unsupported card. You can store ghost.exe on the network share so you aren't limited to using Ghost 2003 because fitting ghost.exe on a floppy doesn't apply. Ghost.exe is copied from the network share to the RAM drive on the local computer.

The disk is so simple to use.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 11:12am

Glancing through NetBootDisk's carddata.txt file, it's got a couple b57*.dos entries, so looks like it should work on TheobaldTiger's system without a problem.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 10:59pm

@
TheobaldTiger

Quote:
Broadcom Corp. -BLUETOOTH USB +EDR AD ...      USB 1.1      Warning
Firewire storage controller                  IEEE 1394 Accessible

saying with regard to the network card (item #4):

The type of this USB device could not be determined, so it may not be accessible in the Virtual Partition. You may need to add drivers for it in the User Files section of the Advanced Settings dialog.

Is your *Network device* (NIC) a USB based device?

Brian and Dan--

I've never used a USB based NIC--are they able to be accessed via the USB controller when booted to DOS--or are they like external USB HDD's--they require a DOS USB device driver loaded at the time of booting in order to mount and gain access through the USB controller?

Does the *NetBootDisk* have the ability to control the USB controller and mount a USB NIC in a DOS environment?

Does the BIOS on newer systems offer USB controller access to a USB based NIC?

Or, does a USB NIC have built-in firmware that can control the USB controller so it can access the network in DOS?

@
TheobaldTiger

I see multiple *USB 1.1* references in your posted setup information quoted above--is this an older pre-USB 2.0 system?

The reason I ask--if it's an older system, it's unlikely that the BIOS has native support for the USB controllers when booted to DOS.  Newer system allow for booting from a USB storage device--but I don't know if the BIOS will allow for a USB NIC to operate in DOS without DOS device drivers. 

Do you know what the abilities of your BIOS for supporting a USB network device is? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 2:52pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2009 at 10:59pm:
I've never used a USB based NIC--are they able to be accessed via the USB controller when booted to DOS--or are they like external USB HDD's--they require a DOS USB device driver loaded at the time of booting in order to mount and gain access through the USB controller?

Ah, I missed that . . . didn't notice the nic was usb.  I've done pcmcia, but never tried to access a usb nic from DOS.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 3:12pm

NightOwl,

The NetBootDisk web site has been down for the last few days. It's back today.

Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions

Are USB Network Adapters Supported?

Everyone wants this! However DOS does not nativally support USB. I've also not seen any USB network adapters that have DOS based NDIS2 drivers for them. I there is a DOS USB ASPI support for Mass Storage Devices (like USB flash sticks), however this is NOT a network card driver.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 3:28pm

NightOwl,

I vaguely recall you mentioned a bug in Ghost 2003 where a drive is not seen in the "Look in" field. Using NetBootDisk for a Ghost 2003 restore, I couldn't see the mapped drive, Z: drive, in the drop down menu from the Look in field. Using the slider didn't help. But single clicking in the Look in field eventually revealed the Z: drive. Is this the Ghost 2003 bug?

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 4:38pm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print