Commodore
Dude

Without Norton Ghost I
don't wanna have Windows.

Germany

Re: Corrupted MFT
Reply #15 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 12:16am

Quote:
If I understand what he is saying, that is why Pleo is suggesting that the backups need to be made and restored together.

But then the two partitions cannot be the reason why MFT was corrupted since I do always restore both partitions together if I have to restore and the first image already contains the fault which means that I did not cause the fault with my behaviour of cloning and restoring. I just cloned the fault the very first time I wrote an image of this system and carried it on up until now without knowing about it due to the lack of scan disk which would have reported it way earlier.

Commodore
(Windows Vista Home Premium, Norton Ghost 14)

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #16 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 2:27am

Commodore wrote on Mar 30th, 2009 at 12:16am:
I did not cause the fault with my behaviour of cloning and restoring.

I don't think anyone is implying that you did.  It is a slightly separate topic.  I don't think we have enough information to start guessing about how it got corrupted. 

Pleo is just pointing out that having your Registry on a different partition from your applications complicates backup and restore.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 2:41am

MrMagoo wrote on Mar 30th, 2009 at 2:27am:
Pleo is just pointing out that having your Registry on a different partition from your applications complicates backup and restore.  

I'm not sure I agree with Pleo on this one. I do have nearly all of my apps installed in the C: drive but I also have a partition for large apps, eg games, astronomy and mapping programs. I only occasionally image this partition because I rarely install a new app. The most recent image is 6 months old. This image was restored about 2 months ago when I changed HDs. Everything works as before.

IP Logged

Commodore
Dude

Without Norton Ghost I
don't wanna have Windows.

Germany

Reply #18 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 5:55am

Quote:
I don't think anyone is implying that you did.  

MrMagoo, I did not feel accused  Smiley I was just trying to find a reason why I do not have to format my whole HD and reinstall everything onto C:  Cool And I guess I will leave it the way as it is for right now, keeping in mind what I've learned from you all. It sounds very logical what you are saying considering the registry location. When I first started to use Ghost I was told to make sure I have the partitions and I got used to this state.

Thanks a lot for your help and patience!!!

Commodore
(Windows Vista Home Premium, Norton Ghost 14)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #19 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:07am

Quote:
If I understand what he is saying, that is why Pleo is suggesting that the backups need to be made and restored together.

Correct.  Having applications installed on the same (or a different) partition as the operating system is independent of CHKDSK errors.

In the case in which applications and the operating system are installed on different partitions, some users on some occasions have reported problems when only one of two is restored.  Personally, I don’t see much of an advantage to this approach, but some users prefer this arrangement.  It is an individual preference, not a hard-and-fast "rule."

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print