Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No action following mouse clicks until movement (Read 8149 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

No action following mouse clicks until movement
Mar 30th, 2009 at 4:54pm

Talk about weird quirky behavior...

Every once in a while (like today), I go crazy and uninstall all the programs I don't use any more .. which can be a sizable number, cuz it seems like I'm always installing demos/trials to see what they do. I don't uninstall until I know I have a valid image .. in case uninstallation breaks anything.

Not sure if this has anything to do with my marathon uninstall .. but now .. i get no action following mouse clicks (using touchpad buttons on laptop) .. until I MOVE the mouse (trackpad).

Have not yet tried this with my plug-in USB trackball/mouse (not home right now), but I kinda expect the same behavior with it.

It's not a big deal to move the mouse ever so slightly following a click (either right- or left-mouse click), but it just feels weird.

Not all clicks are this way, but I'd guess 2/3rds do nothing until I move the mouse .. then even the slightest movement initiates the desired effect.

This is pretty weird.

Anybody ever run across such weirdness?

I'm at the Intel site now, looking for new chipset drivers (Intel 910GML Express for laptops/notebooks).

Then I'll probably look for some new Synaptics touchpad drivers (PS/2 port touchpad).

Can't think of anything else.

Ideas?

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: No action following mouse clicks until movement
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 7:00pm

"Anybody ever run across such weirdness?"

In what environment?  I've seen that frequently in a true DOS environment, but never in Windows.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:28pm

I'm WXP, SP3.

Seems to have gone away .. at least for now.

You wouldn't think it's a big deal, but you have to remember to move the mouse after clicking .. gets annoying as h3ll after a while.

I noticed b4 (when I had the problem) that 4 icons were missing from the system tray: ghost, nod32, ms office side note and answers.com (i uninstalled the answers,.com TOOLBAR, which I never use anyway, but left answers installed) .. so i'm guessing that after all my mucking around, there was a conflict between some of the prgms that generated the problem.

I was able to verify that even tho the nod32 icon wasn't visible in the system tray, the prgm itself was indeed running. So no icon doesn't necessarily = prgm crash/conflict.

Windows has a way of figuring things out sometimes.

I also ran some registry scanners and deleted hundreds of registry entries (or was it thousands?) .. so no telling what might've caused that quirky behavior, and whether or not it'll return.

My touchpad drivers were already up-to-date (good for me). I upgraded to latest version of Intel chipset drivers, but that didn't affect anything one way of the other. (didn't think it would)

Answers.com prgm has a feature where you find the def'n of a word by alt-clicking on it, so I kinda suspect it had something to do with my problem. Uninstalling that puppy was my next step.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:41pm

I've seen similar behavior on a wireless mouse before, but not on one directly attached.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 2:11am

this problem morphed into a "missing icons in system tray" problem.

been racking my brains troubleshooting .. trying everything:

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html

finally found a solution .. by finding a prgm to DELAY the start-up of startup programs.

http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

(freebie, too)

easy to use graphical interface. still tweaking, but you basically wanna have NO delay for firewall + antivirus.

for programs you *do* delay, begin delaying the 1st delayed prgm at ~45 secs to 1 minute (cuz the anti-virus is gonna do a start-up scan, which generates much disk activity at the beginning) .. add another every 6-10 secs, depending on how many prgms you have lined up.

the program interface runs you out to 2 mins. you can get a good idea of how your system is handling the start-up by watching the disk-activity light.

maybe my laptop is so freaking fast since i uninstalled all that crap and cleaned up the registry that too many tray icons are trying to load at the same time. at least, that's the theory i've read.

three of the prgms i delayed put themselves back in undelayed startups (such as daemon tools lite) cuz i had checked the box that said to "autostart tray icon" .. or "start with windows" (for DAP). So these I now start manually as needed.

About 6 prgms are NOT delayed, including NOD32 and my firewall.

i now have NO problems, either with the weird mouse-clicking thing, or the mysterious case of the disappearing icons from the system tray.

you can use the delayed lauch in concert either with a graphical toolbar, which appears at the top of the screen, which shows you exactly which prgm is going to launch next, and in how many secs, or you can delay the launch invisibly. (i like to see wtf is going on.)

I also have a zillion icons on my desktop, so maybe that is contributing to the problem.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 3:00pm

Just checking back in to say I think I solved this problem by UNinstalling the Synaptics mouse drivers and reverting back to Microsoft PS/2 Compatible Mouse drivers. My laptop is made by Gateway, and I also downloaded their drivers, but will wait to see if the MS drivers really solve the problems. MS generally makes the most compatible drivers.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 4:34pm

Nevermind, I still have this problem no matter how many hoops I jump thru.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print