Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1TB Partitioning Strategy Question (Read 18863 times)
Jix
N00b

I Love Radified!

1TB Partitioning Strategy Question
Apr 21st, 2009 at 12:57pm

Hello everyone,

I am currently waiting for my new build parts to come in. My HD is the WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache.

I am planing on using the computer for gaming, photo editing, running some engineering software, and general tasks like web browsing, etc..

I have read quite some partitioning strategies guide, but I thought I'd get the opinions of the guys @ the Radified Forums.

I will be triple booting XP 32, XP 64, and Windows 7. I know that each operating system should have its own partition, but what about the size of this partition. Where do you think I should install my applications? Should I make each partition big enough so that it fits the OS and the apps I am going to install on that OS? Should I install the apps in a separate partition?

I know I will have my media in a separate partition, but what about the OS and the apps?

I am looking for a setup that wouldn't slow me down since all I have is this 1TB for now. I also know that the first partitions to be created on the drive will be on the outer edge of the platter, and that will reduce the seeking time. I plan on installing the OSes first.

I would really appreciate some feedback from people who have experience with this.

Thanks a lot,

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: 1TB Partitioning Strategy Question
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 4:39pm

@
Jix

A brief reply to a complex situation.

How to multi-boot....

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm

I suggest three primary partitions and an Extended partition containing a single logical volume. The logical volume will be seen by each OS and will contain data and backup images.

For a boot manager, I use BING.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1237655769

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

Jix wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 12:57pm:
Should I make each partition big enough so that it fits the OS and the apps I am going to install on that OS?

Yes.

Jix wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 12:57pm:
Should I install the apps in a separate partition?

No.

Create the three primary partitions in BING. Only you can decide what size is appropriate. The extended partition size will be what space is remaining. You can always change partition sizes at a later date but it's easier if you get it "right" before you install the three OS.

IP Logged

Jix
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:20pm

Thank you Brian for the reply.

I never heard of BING, although I multiboot a lot. I will take a look at it.

I was thinking of having the apps installed on another partition so that I can re-install any operating system without having to reinstall everything. That is my main concern. What do you think? An additional partition for apps will decrease the performance of the HD?

Thanks,

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:31pm

Jix wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:20pm:
I was thinking of having the apps installed on another partition so that I can re-install any operating system without having to reinstall everything.

If you have the apps installed in another partition and reinstall the OS, none of the apps will work. They will need to be reinstalled. Or do I misunderstand your question?

By having OS and apps in the same partition you can image the partition and store the image in your logical volume. (But the image should ideally be stored on another HD in case your 1 TB HD fails). You can delete the partition and install another OS. When you decide you would like the initial OS again, just restore the image.

Jix wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:20pm:
although I multiboot a lot

Have your been using the Microsoft boot manager?

IP Logged

Jix
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:41pm

Quote:
If you have the apps installed in another partition and reinstall the OS, none of the apps will work.

If you back-up your registry before re-installing windows, and then restore it after, the apps should work fine since its files are on another partition.

My main concern is keeping my seeking times low. Do you know if I can short-stroke that Western Digital HD?

I am going to look more into imaging. I can transfer the image to another HD, which is on another PC, through the network. I need to learn more about imaging. Can you please suggest some links?

As for multibooting, I usually use the windows one if I am booting windows-based OSes, or GRUB if a Linux OS is there.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:55pm

Jix wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:41pm:
My main concern is keeping my seeking times low.  

In another thread, I can't find it at present, Nigel Bree from Symantec mentioned it doesn't matter where you have the OS partitions on a modern HD. You won't notice a performance difference.

I can transfer the image to another HD, which is on another PC, through the network.

Great.

As for multibooting, I usually use the windows one if I am booting windows-based OSes

See "What's Wrong with the Microsoft Way?"

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/principles.htm

Edit.... Found the thread.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1233428861

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:58pm

@
Jix

Quote:

If your apps are on the same partition as the OS, then the HDD heads do not have to move to a different partition where the apps are located--that's a much further distance than staying within the OS partition.

If speed of HDD access is really an issue, then you need a different setup than one *huge* HDD--RAID stipped arrays come to mind.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Jix
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:14pm

Thanks a lot guys for your feedback. I guess keeping the apps on the OS' partition is the best thing to do.

So 3 partition for 3 OSes and a 4th one for media/personal files storage.

What about imaging? Any links that would be helpful. I can do a google search, but I am sure you are elite in this, and know which guides are better.

Thanks a lot,

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:30pm

Jix wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:14pm:
What about imaging?

I use IFW/IFD/IFL.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:49pm

With BING, I'm currently multi-booting several DOS variants, two WinXPs, Vista, two Windows 7s, Ubuntu, BartPE, IFL.

I use Microsoft Virtual PC as well.

IP Logged

Jix
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 7:08pm

Roger that. Thanks a lot.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 7:54pm

@
Jix

Quote:
What about imaging? Any links that would be helpful.

I'm not at my home computer where I have my reference material--so I'll have to wait until later for more on that--but currently available--probably Brian's recommendation is one of the best--others also like www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop .

Also see:  http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_alternatives.ht

You can use Rad's Ghost Guide as a primer on imaging for any other imaging product:  http://ghost.radified.com/

My personal layout:

drive #1:  

A.  Primary, active, WinXP (NTFS, OS plus apps)

B.  Primary, hidden, spare for testing, currently formated as FAT32 as placeholder--no data to keep backups smaller until needed

C.  Primary, hidden, Win98se (FAT32, OS plus apps)

D.  Primary, Extended

(I have 4 FAT32 logical partitions in the extended partition to divide up data plus a small FAT16 logical partition of an old DOS based database business program.)

When I want to boot to a different operating system, I hide the current active partition, and then unhide and make active the alternate partition.  This keeps each OS separated from each other, and if one crashes the others are unaffected.  The *Microsoft Way* of multibooting makes all the OS's vulnerable to a crash or boot problem.  But, this might be considered a *disadvantage* by some because you do not have access to those other partitions directly when booted to another OS.

drive #2:  

whole drive is an extended partition:

A:  Swap (approx. 4 GB, FAT32)

B:  Temp (approx 4 GB, FAT32)

C:  Ghost backups (approx 110 GB, FAT32)

If drive #1 goes down, I restore one of the Ghost images stored on drive #2 to a replacement drive #1.  If drive #2 goes down, I just replace it and re-establish the needed structure, and create a new Ghost image as backup protection.

On drive #1, I do not save any program data to the OS partition--I re-direct all data to one of the data partitions.  So email, favorites, document programs, digital pictures, etc., etc.... are on non-OS partitions.  So, if I install a program on the OS and something bad happens--I simply restore my recent Ghost image backup--it over-writes everything on the *bad* OS partition with my known *good* image--but all my data is not lost because it's in one of the data partitions--not on the OS partition!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 12:41pm

Then a 15K-rpm SCSI beast would be the way to go. Blazing-fast seek/access times.

http://scsi.radified.com/

I bet you will say, "Wow."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print