Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SWITCH FOR AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN/REBOOT OF PC AFTER BACKUP (Read 19761 times)
Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

SWITCH FOR AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN/REBOOT OF PC AFTER BACKUP
Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:57am

Hi Guys
Can anyone help with the automatic shutdown and/or reboot switch/code which will work after a backup in Ghost 2003

IP Logged

somms
Gnarly

Re: SWITCH FOR AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN/REBOOT OF PC AFTER BACKUP
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 2:19pm

Jerry aka Jer wrote on Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:57am:
Hi Guys
Can anyone help with the automatic shutdown and/or reboot switch/code which will work after a backup in Ghost 2003

-rb

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 2:39pm

Respectfully, I think that I will need a little more help on this one beyond just -rb

That is, where the -rb goes, etc ... in autoexec.bat somewhere?

@Echo off
cls
path=A:\;A:\Ghost;C:\
SET TZ=GHO-05:00
mscdex /D:mscd001
mouse
menu.bat

Jerry

IP Logged

somms
Gnarly

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 3:13pm

ghost -rb

or

ghost32.exe -rb

or

ghost64.exe -rb

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 3:51pm

Somms,
Is -rb the command for a complete PC shutdown or for a "Re-Boot" ?

Just curious Wink

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 6:07pm

I guess I am still not clear as to what I need to know.

While I have used ghost for years I still do not consider my self fully conversant with all the switches, etc.

I am asking how to shut my computer completely off after a back up.

I need to know the switch symbols ... if and where they would go in the autoexec.bat

Can someone specifically address this question, please

Jerry

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 6:49am

The answer is much more complicated than that.

Jer, don't alter your Autoexec.bat file.  It's just fine, as is.

The switch to make Ghost shut down and return you to a DOS prompt when the backup is complete is
-FX
(in all caps)
But that leaves the computer running. with a dos prompt on your screen.

Actually shutting down the computer requires a "Program" to send the shutdown code to the motherboard and ATX power supply.

I now have such a program, "Shutdown.com" and I've zipped it up with an instruction sheet and put it on my FTP (download) server.
http://www.box.net/shared/fcc6cam8x8

To run Ghost to automatically shut down when done and then to shut down the PC, the batch file would look something like this:

@Echo off
cls
call Ghost.exe -FX
Shutdown S

The "S" after Shutdown is a capital "S".
Don't forget the space after the command name and before the "S".
That's a must in DOS.

The "call" before the Ghost command, assures that the batch file will continue running after Ghost is finished and closes.
If the batch file closes while running Ghost, the shutdown command will never run.
It seems like a small thing, but very important when running other programs, especially other batch files, from any batch file.

I tested this repeatedly on my own PC with my Ghost 2003 boot floppy and it really works, although that's not the way I normally run Ghost.
I always validate my Ghost backups and then do a restore, to defrag my HD.  But, that's just a personal preference.
I got that idea, by reading this forum.  Thanks Guys!

But, if I let the computer shut down when it's done with the backup, I have to reboot the PC and reload Ghost to validate the backup and do a restore, so I won't personally be using the shutdown option.  No biggie.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Switch for automatic shutdown/reboot of PC after backup
Reply #7 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:17am

@
Jerry aka Jer

Quote:
I am asking how to shut my computer completely off after a back up.

Well, actually you originally asked about *rebooting* as well--so you got the *-rb* (re-boot switch) response!

Quote:
@Echo off
cls
mouse
menu.bat

I suspect you have not received a response that will work with your particular boot setup because it looks like you branch off from *autoexec.bat* to a *menu.bat*.

To answer your question, we would need to see the content of your *menu.bat* file--I presume that is where you *start Ghost*.  So, post more info, please!

I have played around with this a little and think I've got the details worked out--but need your additional info.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2009 at 7:05pm

Jer is using a format established a long time ago, by The Shadow, as I as well do.  It's all been posted here on the forum for quite a while now.  It's actually a pretty neat way to run Ghost 2003 from a boot floppy, flash drive or CD.

The menu.bat file is nothing more than a batch file to print out the menu.  It does nothing more.
Then from the Ansi-Color menu, one picks which job he/she wants to do and runs a batch file to do that job.

I and Jer are working in parallel on this project to get the PC to shut down after Ghost has ended.

The batch file to do this is simply:

@Echo off
cls
CD\Ghost
call Ghost -FX
Shutdown S

That does it.  It's certainly not a long and complicated process. Ghost runs and when Ghost ends it returns the program back to the batch file, which then runs "Shutdown S ", which, if everything is working correctly, shuts down the PC.

Most PC's will shut down from this batch file, but a few old hard-heads won't.  Out of several PC's that I've tried this batch file on, just one won't shut down.
It's a bios thing!  Wink Angry Roll Eyes Grin Grin

It's kind of funny, actually.  It gave me an error message saying "
No ATX, maybe?
".

It was the best laugh I had all day, because that PC has an ATX mobo and an AntecEarthwatts 650 PSU and has run 98, ME, XP and even Vista, without ever a whimper or any problem.

All my other PC's that I tried that shutdown routine on, shutdown exactly as expected.  Go figure! Roll Eyes

Don't rack your brain over it.   We've already figured it all out.

IP Logged

Jerry aka Jer
Gnarly

Circuit_Rider

Sunny Florida

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:02pm

All the credit on this one goes to Lurker. While I have a limited knowledge of batch files, he worked out all of the details and got it to work. Thanks Lurker
Jerry

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:12pm

No problem Jer, you're an easy one to help.
You hang in there and don't give up easily.

Blessings!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2009 at 2:15am

@
Jerry aka Jer

@
Lurker

Hey--hugs and kisses all around, everyone.

Sorry, but I'm not going to join in.

This would be a very dull forum if the only thing members did was post questions--and all the *answers* were done by Personal Messages (PMs), or by private emails.

So...have to give both of you an *F* for being good, contributing forum community members!!!

Quote:
Jer is using a format established a long time ago, by The Shadow, as I as well do.  It's all been posted here on the forum for quite a while now.

Links?  Where is this discussed?  Neither you or Jer have provided the information in this thread, nor a link to other thread(s) in the forum that clarifies what's being talked about.

Quote:
The batch file to do this is simply:

@Echo off
cls
CD\Ghost
call Ghost -FX
Shutdown S

I repeat--the solution that's been given here will not solve Jer's original question:

Quote:
@Echo off
cls
mouse
menu.bat

These are two different scenarios!

That's my biggest complaint about The Shadow.  Many times he has posted items of interest--but he rarely would post links to this forum or other websites that explain the details.  He often does not even respond when ask specifically about how he accomplishes some of the things he talks about.

Oh, well--so much for my *rant*--I'll get off the soap box.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2009 at 8:28am

Jerry aka Jer wrote on Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:57am:
Hi Guys

Well, "Reboot" probably shouldn't have been in the original title, because "Shutdown" was the function desired.  Some of the answers to that original post didn't address the "Shutdown" issue at all.

It was fairly simple to find the Ghost switch that would shut down the program when the backup, for instance, was done.

Finding the DOS program to perform a system shutdown was a little more difficult.  Well not really. Wink

Nightowl,
Your not having knowledge of the Ghost boot disk that Jer is using left you at some disadvantage.
No foul.

It was probably an easy assumption that Ghost was being run from the Autoexec.bat batch file. 
I'm sure that many people run it that way.
That wasn't the case at all in this instance.

Quote:
@Echo off
cls
mouse
menu.bat

The above "Autoexec.bat" batch file only sets up some conditions for Ghost, loads a CD-rom driver, loads mouse.com and finally turns over program control to the menu.bat program which then prints the menu.txt file to the screen. That's the only function of Menu.bat, it does not run Ghost.
The menu lists each function by number.  There are about six of them.
Typing a number of the function desired and pressing ENTER, at the DOS prompt, then runs a batch file by that name, i.e. "1.bat", "2.bat" etc.
Once that batch file is complete it returns control to Menu.bat which reprints the menu to the screen and the process continues.

The exception is the batch file to run Ghost and then shutdown the PC.

Quote:
@Echo off
cls
CD\Ghost
call Ghost -FX
Shutdown S

Obviously, since the last line of this batch file shuts down the PC, it was not necessary to re-run the menu.bat program. Roll Eyes

I won't go into all the gory details, but helping Jer to solve his problem with Ghost and a full system shutdown, involved a lot more than just a quick answer on a forum.  Forums are NOT the best media for giving personal assistance for a specific problem.

I apologize if my helping Jer to solve his rather unique problem offended anyone else or bruised any egos.  If he lived closer to me, I would have just gone to his house and fixed his problem. 
I assume that would have offended someone too.
Apologies all around.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2009 at 1:49am

@
Lurker

Quote:
Jer is using a format established a long time ago, by The Shadow, as I as well do.  It's all been posted here on the forum for quite a while now.

Still no link?  Well, until I see one offered, I will have to assume this statement is *inaccurate*.

You know--usually I leave my *eagle* at the door when I'm posting in the forums (why wouldn't I--I'm an *owl*  Wink !) , but if someone else wants to make it *personal*, well--bring it on....

Do you know what *Passive/Aggressive Behavior* is?  It's where someone tries to play all nice and friendly--all the while attempting to stab someone else in the back--for whatever reason--like being chastised for poor forum etiquette!  This last post by you is a classic example!

How did it become *personal*?

Quote:
I apologize if my helping Jer to solve his rather unique problem offended anyone else or bruised any egos.

Being as I'm the only one who made any comment about your poor forum etiquette by not actually posting the details in the thread--well I'm the only one implicated here.  Classic *Passive/Aggressive Behavior*--don't actually confront the target directly--keep it subtle!  (I know--I'm just being paranoid--right?!)

Quote:
Nightowl,
Your not having knowledge of the Ghost boot disk that Jer is using left you at some disadvantage.
No foul.

Shouldn't that have been *No fowl*-- Grin?  Again, classic *Passive/Aggressive Behavior*--You're forgiving me for lack of *knowledge* (No foul.) making it seem as if it were my fault--not the fault of others who failed to post such information!

*Offended*!?  Probably a better sentiment is *Annoyed* that you choose not to contribute to the forum community's knowledge by using Private Messages and emails rather than discussing the issues in the forum thread.

And a *bruised ego*?!  How exactly does my *ego* get bruised by rapping your knuckles by telling you that your contribution to the forum is less than stellar--I don't get it!  But, again, classic *Passive/Aggressive Behavior*--someone else's issues, not anything you might have done poorly!

Quote:
I won't go into all the gory details, but helping Jer to solve his problem with Ghost and a full system shutdown, involved a lot more than just a quick answer on a forum.

Give me a break--this is not atomic bomb making!  All that was needed was one switch added to the command line to start Ghost:    ghost.exe -fx , and following the command line that starts Ghost, a command line to call the shut down program:    shutdown s .  Now that's really complicated!

Again, everyone altogether now, classic *Passive/Aggressive Behavior*--no mere mortal forum members could begin to comprehend the difficulties that needed to be resolved by private email between Lurker and Jer! 

All we needed to know was where the Ghost command line was located--just because it was in a nested batch file within a nested batch file called from *autoexec.bat* did not make this difficult.

Quote:
Forums are NOT the best media for giving personal assistance for a specific problem

Excuse me--are you kidding?!  If you believe this, then you have no idea of what goes on in this forum day in and day out.  And, again, classic *Passive/Aggressive Behavior*--if you have been chastised for less than good forum etiquette behavior--change the definition of the behavior so you are now *falsely* accused--the accuser is at fault--of course!

Quote:
If he lived closer to me, I would have just gone to his house and fixed his problem. 
I assume that would have offended someone too.

Again, classic *Passive/Aggressive Behavior*--create an absurd situation that has no relationship to the actual situation--and imply that the original criticism was equally absurd by association with the new absurd situation.

I'm sorry.  Usually I don't respond in this fashion.  I debated all day whether to post or not.  My head said no, but my heart said yes!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print