Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help USB wireless keyboard and USB mouse (Read 14669 times)
s
N00b

I Love Radified!

Help USB wireless keyboard and USB mouse
Apr 30th, 2009 at 1:55am

Have enabled USB in Bios settings and wireless keyboard still does not work.  Could someone please direct me to some instructions?

Please note: No floppy drive on computer.

Using:
Pentium 4
Windows XP
Ghost 2003

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Help USB wireless keyboard and USB mouse
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2009 at 6:20pm

r u saying the usb keyboard does not work ONLY in Ghost?

I think I reall a similar prob. You might have to enable "Legacy USB" in bios.

IP Logged

s
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2009 at 9:37pm

Firstly, I should also add, I followed the instructions from the guide by Nightowl to make a bootable CD where there is an entry in the autoexec file to load ghost.exe.  The screen in front of me is not the ghost interface but the dos command prompt.

Secondly re your quesion....the keyboard does not work when I boot it with this CD.

Thirdly, the bios interface does not have anything called "legacy" USB as far as I can see.  I have enabled USB, and USB keyboard (wireless) and mouse (wired, optical).  Also made it USB 2 since it says that it will automatically switch to USB 1 if a USB 1 device is connected.  I am going to play around with these settings today to see if I can figure out something.  Will keep you updated.

Meanwhile useful input would be much appreciated.

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:15am

My preference for everyday computing is a standard wired keyboard and a Microsoft USB, digital mouse.

But like you said, the USB mouse doesn't work in Ghost, so to circumvent that little glitch, I keep a PS2 mouse connected to my system all the time.
Then "Mouse.com" loaded from my Autoexec.bat file on my Ghost boot disk, provides the drivers needed so that I can use my PS2 mouse to run Ghost.
Of course, the standard keyboard works just fine in either DOS or Windows.

That solution is simple, cheap and never fails.
Some motherboards have the ability built in to make a USB mouse look just like a PS2 mouse, to DOS programs, like Ghost.

These mobo's are usually the aftermarket varieties, not the ones that come in the Major Brand Name computers.  That's sad, very sad.

IP Logged

s
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:49pm

Well, the problem is there is no PS2 connection so the USB keyboard and mouse are the only option. The computer is a medion 8083 with an MSI motherboard.

I am also wondering if the first screen after boot up should be the dos command prompt?  Shouldn't it be the ghost program itself according to the command in the autoexec file?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2009 at 8:58am

@
s

Quote:
I followed the instructions from the guide by Nightowl to make a bootable CD where there is an entry in the autoexec file to load ghost.exe

Okay, so far I'm following....

Quote:
Also made it USB 2 since it says that it will automatically switch to USB 1 if a USB 1 device is connected.

Hmmmm....What does *Also made it USB 2* mean?  My Guide as it currently stands, does not concern USB.

So, are you *customizing* and adding USB DOS drivers?

Post your *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys* files plus a list of boot files you are using so we can check it out.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

s
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2009 at 11:46pm

sorry, I meant I made a change within the bios settings.  There is an option to enable USB, which I did and I also made the choice of USB2.

Fortunately I have a recovery CD for my computer with an option to go to Dos command prompt.  When using this CD, I can use the keyboard.  Though mouse does not work. 

I extracted the image in ISO format and added the ghost program to it and now I have a working CD.

However, I would like to know how to make the autoexec files work from scratch so I can tailor things accordingly.

Thanks for replying Night Owl.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2009 at 2:21am

@
s

Quote:
However, I would like to know how to make the autoexec files work from scratch so I can tailor things accordingly.

Well, if you have looked at my Guide, you should be able to use WinImage to extract the *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys* from that ISO.  You can then manipulate the files, and then re-inject them into the ISO.

You should also be able to explore what drivers (if any) are being loaded that give you keyboard function, etc..

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

somcleebo
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2009 at 6:43pm

Rad wrote on May 1st, 2009 at 6:20pm:
I think I reall a similar prob. You might have to enable "Legacy USB" in bios.

Thank you, that worked for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print