Send Topic Print
cloning vista (Read 36178 times)
fre
Dude

I Love Radified!

cloning vista
May 1st, 2009 at 1:08pm

Hi,

I would like to clone my vista from partition 1 to partition 2 on the same HD.  I looked for some information via google and found the website multibooters.co.uk very interesting for this purpose.  They explain that you can clone your vista IF you change your BCD store using following commands at the command prompt (administrator rights):
bcdedit /set {current} osdevice boot
bcdedit /set {current} device boot
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot
bcdedit /set {memdiag} device boot

I've followed this procedure, then I made an image of partition 1 using Acronis True Image version 11 (build 8082) and copied that image to partition 2.  My problem is that when I boot partition 2, it loads vista, but it loads the vista from partition 1.  In this booted vista, I see that partition 2 is active, but partition 1 is indicated as system and boot partition.  This is not normal.

Does anyone can tell me exactly how you have to make a clone from a vista on partition 1 and copy it to partition 2?

Thanks in advance,
Fre

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: cloning vista
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2009 at 2:03pm

@
fre

It's quite easy with the correct tools. You need a boot manager. I suggest BootIt NG. On the following page there are numerous videos outlining how to use BING and there is one video that describes exactly what you desire, but with WinXP. For Vista or Windows7, use the same method.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

IP Logged

fre
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2009 at 2:52pm

Hi,

thanks for your answer, Brian.
I've tried BING as an alternative for Acronis, but I keep having the same problem.
I make an image of a generalized vista on partition 1 (with BING) and paste it (with BING) on another partition. 
The result is the same as I described on my first post:  when booting the second partition (with BING), vista loads like normal, but when I look into DiskManagement, I see that partition 2 is marked as active, but partition 1 is both boot and the system partition.  That's not normal.
When I change something on the desktop when booted on partition 2, I see the same (changed) desktop when I boot from partition 1.  This again, is not normal.

So the question remains:  can anyone give me a detailed explanation how to clone vista correctly, without crosslinks in the BCD stores from the vista installs on both partitions.

Thanks in advance
Fre

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2009 at 3:05pm

@
fre

I've done this with BING. In Boot Edit, did you have the relevant Vista in the first MBR slot for each Boot Menu entry and the other Vista as Hidden? I'm using Unlimited Primaries so I don't have the second Vista in the MBR at all. There is no way either can interact.

fre wrote on May 1st, 2009 at 2:52pm:
make an image of a generalized vista on partition 1 (with BING) and paste it (with BING) on another partition.  

That is not what I did. I "copied" Vista in BING and "pasted" into unallocated space. Actually, this could make a big difference as your first Vista "knew" about the partition and this could give rise to boot issues.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2009 at 3:15pm

I'm just starting a Windows7 clone at present.

Edit.... I can't as I don't have enough free space for the clone. Maybe later after I've deleted a few OS. I have 250 OS on that HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2009 at 3:30pm

That was quick. I'm looking at my second Windows7 desktop now.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2009 at 9:28pm

Quote:
One BING to rule them all, One BING to find them, One BING to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

It is a giant.

IP Logged

fre
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2009 at 11:51am

Hi,

thanks again for your answer.
This time  I used the copy function in BING and pasted an exiting partiton to unallocated space, (without making an image first).  Again, I have the same problem as described above:   when I boot partition 2 (=cloned vista), it loads vista, but it loads the vista from partition 1(=the original vista).  In this booted vista, I see that partition 2 is active, but partition 1 is indicated as system and boot partition.  This is not normal.

Starting from scratch (empty HD), this is what I've done:
1) create a partition via the XP installation disk  (this because I've learned that vista creates non-standard partitions)
2) reboot with vista CD: install vista on this partition
3) generalize vista:
bcdedit /set {current} osdevice boot
bcdedit /set {current} device boot
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot
bcdedit /set {memdiag} device boot
4) boot with BootIt NG CD: I do not install the bootmanager, but use the functionality of copying this partition and pasting it to unallocated space
5) now I make this second (new cloned) partition active and boot from it.

The result:  partition 2 stays active, but the vista from partition 1 is loaded.  (see screenshot in attachment)
So my questions remains: can anyone please give me a step-by-step guide how to clone vista succesfully?

Kind regards,
Frederik

screenshot1.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2009 at 1:24pm

fre,

I've given you two different ways to do it and you haven't followed either method. Your screenshot demonstrates that. If you do it properly, second Vista will either..
1. Not have a drive letter (limited primaries)
2. Not be seen in Disk Management at all (unlimited primaries)

Firstly, you don't need any BCD edits prior to the clone. Second, you are not setting up the Boot Menu Item correctly.

BING must be installed. Look at the video called "Creating and Booting a second copy of Windows XP & other information". Perhaps a little confusing as the second WinXP is not hidden in the video. This was done to demonstrate WinXP boot.ini problems. It is the same technique with Vista. Just follow the steps in the video.

If you are doing this in a Virtual Machine, BING must be installed in the Virtual Machine too.

IP Logged

fre
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2009 at 4:23pm

@Brian, you jump into conclusions to fast...

I did not allocate a drive letter to the second vista (=clone).  It automatically assigned a drive letter after booting.  
Firstly, I chosen to hide the original partition (so no influence to the other partition is possible).  But then, BSOD were appearing at booting the clone.  
After this, I chose to unhide the original partition, resulting the drive letter allocation (screenshot at previous post).
Whether BING is installed as bootmanger or not, it doesn't change  anything to this behaviour.

I do not want to choose the unlimited primaries option in Bing, because I want to have the option to change bootmanager at each time.  (= I do not want to depend on proprietary software)

I keep on trying other options.  Meanwhile, i appreciate any support, with our without using BootIt... (there seems to be alternatives, but I've not tested them)

Kind regards,

Fre

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2009 at 4:34pm

@
fre

fre wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 4:23pm:
you jump into conclusions to fast...

That's me I'm afraid.

If you can't hide the second Vista with the BING Boot menu, probably because the partition has already been "seen", you should open Disk Management and remove the drive letter of the second Vista. Then things should work. Let me know if that resolves the problem.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2009 at 4:38pm

fre wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 4:23pm:
I do not want to choose the unlimited primaries option in Bing, because I want to have the option to change bootmanager at each time.(= I do not want to depend on proprietary software)

As long as you don't have more than 4 primary partitions you can turn Unlimited Primaries on and off whenever you like. It doesn't prevent you from changing boot managers whenever you like.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2009 at 5:14pm

Come to think of it, removing that drive letter probably won't work because your boot files are in the E: drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2009 at 6:23pm

I just did it again using Vista and Primaries Limited. No problems. The hidden partition shows as Healthy (Primary Partition).

I'm happy to slowly walk you through this.

IP Logged

fre
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2009 at 6:06am

Hi Brian,

thanks for your offer for a walkthrough.
My starting point is an empty HD of 45 GB: 
- I make a partition via the XP-install disk of 15 GB for the vista install
- the rest (30GB) is unallocated space. 
- I boot with the vista DVD and install vista on this created partition.
- I will not change the BCD store, as you advice me in your previous post.

This far,  is there anything I do wrong or do you have a better startingpoint?
I'm doing this install in a virtual environment with VmWare Workstation 6.
My next steps would be:
- boot from bootIt and install it on a Fat32 drive
- copy/paste partition 1 to unallocated space
- make a bootmenu with, where I look carefully to hide partition 2 when I choose booting partition 1 and vice versa.
But I'll wait first untill we find an agreement about the starting point.

Kind regards

Fre

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print