Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing YaBB (permission issues) (Read 8908 times)
MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Installing YaBB (permission issues)
May 3rd, 2009 at 3:22am

Rad wrote on Apr 18th, 2009 at 6:39pm:
Just waiting for them to post a *.tar.gz version, which I can upload to the Rad server and decompress there. They currently only have a *.zip.

Just thought I would point out that the .zip version would work just fine as well.  You should have an 'unzip' command on the command line that will open it right up just like tar works with .tar files.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Installing YaBB (permission issues)
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2009 at 3:24pm

MrMagoo wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 3:22am:
the .zip version would work just fine as well

I have heard that the Zip format does not preserve file permissions like *.tar.gz does.

Is this incorrect?

I normally use the zip on my local system, and apply mods to my local version b4 uploading the modded files. And I use the *.tar.gz for the server.

I have used zip files for the server also, so I know they work .. in the case of Movable Type, which offers only a *.zip. But YaBB makes a big deal about config'ing proper file permissions and will produce a 500 server error if not hunky dory.

Also, I can't seem to get the file-permission-setting file that Peter made for me to work. Not sure why. It doesn't even seem to see it. (setPerm.pl). Yes, I set perms on it to 755. Even tried 777. (I put it in /cgi-bin directory.)

I attached.

setPerm.zip (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2009 at 9:21pm

This Topic was moved here from YaBB Forum Software + Rad Web Site by MrMagoo.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2009 at 9:32pm

Rad wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 3:24pm:
I have heard that the Zip format does not preserve file permissions like *.tar.gz does.

You might be right about that.  The big thing is that if the YaBB guys recommend you use the tar.gz file, it will be much easier to get support from them if you do it that way, so it might be best to just stick with using the .tar.gz version.

Rad wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 3:24pm:
Also, I can't seem to get the file-permission-setting file that Peter made for me to work. Not sure why. It doesn't even seem to see it. (setPerm.pl). Yes, I set perms on it to 755. Even tried 777. (I put it in /cgi-bin directory.)

I attached.

It says the attachment was deleted.  It probably doesn't like you attaching a script.  Might be a security thing, although I would think zipping it would take care of that.

More useful to me would be some information about what happens when you run it.  What response do you get from the command line?  Does the script run and just not change the permissions?  Does it not run?  Does the script have any output?

Also, we discussed you using the 'preserve permissions' flag when un-taring the new version, hopefully avoiding the need to use the script entirely.  The tar command should look like:

tar -xzvpf newversion.tar.gz

Did you try that and the permissions still were incorrect?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2009 at 3:09pm

MrMagoo wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 9:32pm:
It says the attachment was deleted.

That is weird. The file was also deleted from my /cgi-bin directory.

Maybe the site has some kinda of scan for dangerous scripts .. I dunno. But yeah, it's gone.

I knew I couldn't upload a *.pl file, which is why I zipped it first. Wonder what would happen if I encrypted it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print