Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Template for YaBB v2.4 » Midnyte (Read 56377 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

New Template for YaBB v2.4 » Midnyte
May 6th, 2009 at 11:43am

Installed a new template today. This one is specifically designed for YaBB v2.4. The other one that we were using was designed for an older version (so old I don't even remember).

This one is pretty close to what we were using before.

I still need to tweak some stuff, such as eliminating the flashing gfx (update » done), but I think we can work with this.

Any glaring problems?

Note that I SAVED the new midnyte theme/template *as* blk_gry3d. That was the only was to get everybody to use it as the default. So even tho it SAYS you're using "blk_gry3d" .. you're really using the new "midnyte" theme/template.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: New Template for YaBB v2.4 » Midnyte
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2009 at 1:47pm

@
Rad

I like it!

But the rendering in Internet Explorer is quite different from FireFox--the fond size is much larger in FireFox--and in FireFox there is no line separating the posting text from the *signature* line, if used.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2009 at 1:55pm

I just finished tweaking. So hit your refresh button a couple times (in each browser) to make sure your using the latest tweaks/files.

I am not seeing much diff between the two browsers, but I'll check again.

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2009 at 1:57pm

Okay, this is Firefox. Looks pretty close to IE8. Actually looks *better*. A little slicker.

IP Logged

Spanky
Radmeister

Rad's non-Admin Test profile
in Seamonkey

Same as Rad

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2009 at 1:59pm

This is Seamonkey.

What do you think of the main text size .. what you're reading now? Does it seem a little small? It's set to 12, but maybe I should bump it up to 13.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2009 at 3:57pm

@
Spanky

Just checking, but on the Admin page, under Forum Settings/General tab:

Quote:
Select the default Forum Template:  blk_gry3d

I don't know if that has any effect on how this new MidNyte is being displayed.  I've switched between both in my Profile area and don't see much change--I'll re-check that.

Oooh--way cool--there's auto spell checking going on in real time while typing in the Reply box!

Quote:
But the rendering in Internet Explorer is quite different from Firefox--the fond size is much larger in Firefox

Well, the sizes were still much different--but discovered that in Firefox's menu item *View/Zoom*--by selecting *Zoom Out*, the sizes get equalized. 

In Internet Explorer (I'm using v7.xx), it the menu item *Page* drop down box, item *Zoom*--there it shows what the percent zoom is that you're using.  When set at 100%, the font size is a bit small for my eyes--but remember I'm using 1680 x 1050 screen resolution. 

Interesting, if I use greater or less Zoom size in IE 7, the scrolling becomes jerky--only smooth if 100%.  But Firefox scrolling stays smooth regardless of changes!

Once you're done tweaking, I'll see if I can't make a few new templates for slightly larger font sizes for those who might need the larger size for the higher resolution screens.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2009 at 4:08pm

NightOwl wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 3:57pm:
I don't know if that has any effect on how this new MidNyte is being displayed.I've switched between both in my Profile area and don't see much change--I'll re-check that.

I saved midnyte *as* blk_gry3d .. cuz that is what everyone's pref's are set to. That's the only way to change the template so everybody uses it. Good thing that didn't cause a problem, cuz it woulda been tough to recover.

So the midnyte theme/template now *is* (called) "blk_gry3d".

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2009 at 4:19pm

@
Rad

Quote:
I saved midnyte *as* blk_gry3d

Ah...good to know, and I see the problem that would have caused--as you say!

I just switch to my old *blk_gry3d-large* template and it is still working fine!  You must not have over-written the files responsible for that template when re-naming MidNyte to *blk_gry3d*--my template was based on the *blk_gry3d*.

When you updated the software to v2.1 (?)--all the templates no longer worked and I had to re-do them.

Should *MidNyte* be deleted from the template listing?  Will it have the *tweaks*?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2009 at 4:23pm

@
Rad

Something got bigger!!!  You must be tweaking as we reply!

Looks great for me, but may be *huge* for others!

Edited:
My bad, forgot I had switched to my *large* font template!!!

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2009 at 6:00pm

looks good to me so far

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2009 at 6:42pm

Just adding my $.02.  I like the new theme.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2009 at 8:02pm

I had the blk_gry 3d set and when I logged on today Midnyte had taken it over but I do like the change. it seems to respond faster too.... not sure if that would make a diff or not.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2009 at 8:15pm

ckcc wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 8:02pm:
I had the blk_gry 3d set and when I logged on today Midnyte had taken it over 

That's b-cuz this *is* the new blk_gry3d. I had to save the midnyte theme *as* blk_gry3d in order to get everyone to be using this theme as default. Otherwise, everybody would have to go into their User CP and make the change manually (which would never happen) .. and it suks to try to administer a forum with multiple "default" themes.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2009 at 8:21pm

The gnarly thing is that I would get an error when enterring the "Template Configuration" page (in Admin section, listed under "Forum Layout") .. while using the blk_gry3d template. So I'd first have to adopt the Forum default theme before I could do anything with the 'Template Config".

And even if I was using the "Forum default" theme .. just *selecting* the blk_gry3d theme/template would generate an error (like a gnarly Perl error) and leave me wit no where to go except back to the forum's home page.

So, after I saved this midnyte template *as* blk_gry3d (which is everybody's default .. if there was a problem .. it could've been a major headache to recover from .. cuz I could not access the "Template Config" with/as/using blk_gry3d .. so going back would've been major sukage.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2009 at 8:29pm

MrMagoo wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 6:42pm:
Just adding my $.02.I like the new theme.

Cool. Thanks.

I'm having some gnarly/weird/quirky network issues at home preventing me from reaching *only* the Rad site (no webpages, email or FTP, nothing) .. that I want to talk to you about. But that's another issue. Maybe this weekend we'll chat.

WireTree says site is cool, no problems, no blockage of my IP.

Intermittent prob, last 3-4 days, but seems to be becoming more frequent. TraceRT doesn't even get to the first hop. Errors on #1. Goes no further. Resetting router used to fix but not any more.

Had my ISP disable my router firewall. They called it "DMZ'ing me. I use Outpost.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print