Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Template for YaBB v2.4 » Midnyte (Read 56391 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: New Template for YaBB v2.4 » Midnyte
Reply #15 - May 6th, 2009 at 8:38pm

ckcc wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 8:02pm:
it seems to respond faster too

I was thinking the same. Perhaps, with an out-of-date template, the forum script was looking for stuff that wasn't there, thus causing delay. I don't know. But faster is always better.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #16 - May 6th, 2009 at 8:41pm

I also took pains to make the links on this template/theme more consistent. On the other template, we have all sorts of links, blue/green/white/gray both with and without underlines on rollovers.

I still haven't been able to nail down *every* link the same, but they're now far more consistent than b4.

I try to make all links that faded blue/green color and have them brighten slightly upon roll-over with no underline. At least that's my intention.

The hardest part seems to be getting them all to brighten upon roll-over (hover).

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #17 - May 6th, 2009 at 8:59pm

Here, btw, is the original midnyte theme .. b4 Rad tweakage:

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1240981402/0

(the links were orange.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #18 - May 6th, 2009 at 9:16pm

Ooh, now we got some BUTTONS. I like the buttons.

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #19 - May 7th, 2009 at 10:51am

That's weird.

I only see the buttons in IE8 logged in as Rad.

Not in FF or Seamonkey or even Opera as visitor. On the others I see icons+text.

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #20 - May 7th, 2009 at 11:09am

I see buttons-only using the forum default template.

Problem:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1230404069/12#12

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #21 - May 7th, 2009 at 8:59pm

I fixed it. I was config'ing "midnyte" .. not blk_gry3d .. which is kinda the same for all intents & purposes (they share the same *.css file) .. but not for buttons vs icons + text forum config.

Everybody should now see buttons instead of icons + text.

The buttons are kinda bright/silver but small, so seem to stand-out nicely on the dark/black background.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #22 - May 9th, 2009 at 9:45am

Rad wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 4:08pm:
I saved midnyte *as* blk_gry3d .. cuz that is what everyone's pref's are set to. That's the only way to change the template so everybody uses it. Good thing that didn't cause a problem, cuz it woulda been tough to recover.

So the midnyte theme/template now *is* (called) "blk_gry3d".

In the *User CP*, under *Profile/Options*--both *midnyte* and *blk_gry3d* are listed as choices--and both seem to give the same forum appearance!--are you modifying both equally as you tweak the system?

And, regarding your statement above--I understand what you are saying--makes sense--but most folks have not *set* a preference--they're just using the *default* that was set in the Admin area.  I don't know how the *cookies* for the forum work, but if you change the forum default in the Admin area to *midnyte* and most folks are using the Admin forum default--wouldn't most folks end up seeing *midnyte* and not the old *blk_gry3d*.

You'd have to make a change to the two different templates so you can differentiate between the two--such as the large *MidNyte* title at the top that was present when you first started testing the theme.

The reason I'm asking--it's getting confusing--too many templates--when I used *blk_gry3d* to test larger font sizes--I lost the *midnyte* appearance to the forum--had the color scheme, but the appearance of the webpage reverted back to just text where the *Home, Help, Search....* menu bar is--the graphics disappeared--but the font sizes where larger.

I had to select *midnyte* in the template modification area of the Admin area to get the graphics plus the larger font sizes!--maybe I tried testing the font size before you tweaked *blk_gry3d* or something--I will test again later today to see if it was something I was doing wrong.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #23 - May 9th, 2009 at 10:12am

NightOwl wrote on May 9th, 2009 at 9:45am:
both *midnyte* and *blk_gry3d* are listed as choices--and both seem to give the same forum appearance!--are you modifying both equally as you tweak the system?

for some, not all. it appears when i tweak the *.css file, changes are applyied to BOTH templates, cuz they both share the same css file. but for things in "template configuration" panel/window like buttons vs text+icons, apparently not, as both those templates are controlled separately for those things (which was the cause of much of my confusion regarding butons-only vs text+icons).

if you change the forum default in the Admin area to *midnyte* and most folks are using the Admin forum default--wouldn't most folks end up seeing *midnyte* and not the old *blk_gry3d*.

i wish. that would make things much easier. but that is controlled by the user. and if you think about it, you wouldn't want an admin to change your settings without asking.

users get the style/template of whatever is set to default when they first join the forum. they are then free to select whatever styles and configs we make available.

altho i think it's worth asking again about changing everybody's default template setting.

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1241882543/0

The reason I'm asking--it's getting confusing--too many templates--when I used *blk_gry3d* to test larger font sizes--I lost the *midnyte* appearance to the forum--had the color scheme, but the appearance of the webpage reverted back to just text where the *Home, Help, Search....* menu bar is--the graphics disappeared--but the font sizes where larger.

the blk_gry3d_"larger" modifications that you made to the old blk_gry3d template that we used for years are all based upon the old blk_gry3d template.

In order to change those, take the NEW black_gry3d template (as the old blk_gry3d template styles no longer exist) and SAVE IT AS the variations you currentrly have tweaked. You will have to go into each template (make sure you're in the bigger-size template) and tweak like you did before. It doesn';t seem like a major revisions .. only a few sizes get bumped up, right? (But I dunno for sure. You are the expert there.) Then all your tweaked templates will have the new midnytre styling and be nased on a current Y2.4 template.

Or you could simple DELETE all the bigger templates that you modded, and simply base you siize-tweaks on the template named "midnyte" .. and thus have new size-tweaked templates such as "midnyte_big" and "midnyte_bigger" and "midnyte_biggest" etc. You get the picture.

OR .. you could name these styles "NightOwlz_custom_big" and "NightOwlz_custome_bigger" etc.

But if somebody currently has their forums set to "blk_gry3d_bigger" and you delete, then they'd be kicked back to the forum default.

But you should probably wait until we finish tweaking the base-template the way we want .. so everything will be the same .. except for the font sizes you tweak.

FAIK the only thing that changes is that when you create a new style .. a NEW CSS file gets generated .. cuz when I upgrade the forum I have to copy over all your custom *.css files, as a separate CSS file gets generated for EACH of your custom styles.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #24 - May 9th, 2009 at 10:14am

I had to select *midnyte* in the template modification area of the Admin area to get the graphics plus the larger font sizes!--maybe I tried testing the font size before you tweaked *blk_gry3d* or something--I will test again later today to see if it was something I was doing wrong.

I have been tweaking little things. Normally I have to hit the REFRESH button b4 I see changes, so I'd expect you would also have to.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #25 - May 9th, 2009 at 10:42am

by the way, the guy who did the midnyte template is currently working on a new one .. posted here:

http://www.lonewebsurfer.com/yabbtemplates/y24/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

it's still rough, but you get the idea. it's a very nice template.

the soldier them would not work for us, but with a few tweaks i think we would be able to make it work (.. if we wanted).

tho basically i am a black-kinda guy (stylistically speaking)

Here is his home board:

http://www.lonewebsurfer.com/forum/YaBB.pl

I noticed that his use of transparency doesn't kill my CPU the way O-Opacity does/did.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #26 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:48pm

I am about done dialing in this badboy. What do you think?

The only thing I was thinking about was removing the bold from the forum titles and changing that to a unique color instead (such as orange or gold) .. but I can't find how to control that.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #27 - May 11th, 2009 at 11:07pm

Finally figured out how to eliminate the bold tag for board names.

It was controlled in BoardIndex.template (not CSS)

I replaced the bold tag with a span tag (with class attribute of "boardName") and added the controlling CSS to the end of the midnyte.css file

HTML:
<span class="boardName">

CSS:
.boardName {
                 color: "#66CCCC"
}

-and-

.boardName:hover {
                 color: "#66FFFF"
}

It worked. So instead of bold, we get a slightly brighter board-title .. to make them stand out.

I tried orange. It looked horrible.

But I like this better than the bold.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #28 - May 12th, 2009 at 8:34pm

Okay, I think I am done dialing-in this puppy.

Does it look okay?

If so, you can go ahead and create some LARGE versions from it. (Save_As and tweak.)

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #29 - May 13th, 2009 at 1:08am

Rad wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 8:34pm:
Does it look okay?

I have no complaints.  I like the new look.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print