Send Topic Print
XP pro Updates (Read 5473 times)
Cookie Jar
N00b

I Love Radified!

Tottenham ON Canada

XP pro Updates
May 10th, 2009 at 8:35am

XP pro is installed on our PC with slow dial-up Internet -  hence we have the auto-update feature disabled. 

It was last updated in Dec. 2005 following the RADIFIED Windows XP Installation Guide.  I recall getting Windows to list the updates that were installed on it, then going on the Microsoft website where all the updates could be selected for download (date codes and KB numbers).  We gave the Microsoft link and list to a friend with high speed Internet, who then burned a CD for us, and we did the update from it.

When we got on to the RADIFIED Windows XP Installation Guide page 2 today, the links to download the service packs didn’t work.  Neither did the link to order the CD (it referred to shipping to China). 

Can someone give us the commands to list the installed updates on our system and the working link to the Microsoft site from where to download the ones we need?

Thank you.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: XP pro Updates
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2009 at 2:15pm

I would recommend downloading and installing SP3

After that, the current (april 2009) list of updates post SP3 is:

KB898461
KB951066
KB938464
KB952287
KB946648
KB950762
KB951376
KB951978
KB951748
KB952954
KB950974
KB956803
KB954459
KB955069
KB954600
KB958644
KB955839
KB956802
KB957097
KB952069
KB952004
KB960225
KB958687
KB960803
KB961373

The list is based on my system. You may have other "microstuff" installed that need updates but it's the basic list. To get to the download location, type in the KB-number in the search field in the SP3 download window.

Still on IE6? Consider installing IE8.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2009 at 4:50pm

Cookie Jar wrote on May 10th, 2009 at 8:35am:
It was last updated in Dec. 2005

Most importantly, update soon.  A computer missing 4 years of updates is very vulnerable, even on dial-up.

IP Logged

slangtruth
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 2:06pm

MrMagoo wrote on May 10th, 2009 at 4:50pm:
Most importantly, update soon.  A computer missing 4 years of updates is very vulnerable, even on dial-up.

I'm not all that sure about that, myself. If you have up to date virus/malware protection and have the basic sense not to be using IE or Outlook/OE, I don't see where a machine running XPsp1 for example is any more vulnerable than one running XPsp3.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 6:24pm

slangtruth wrote on Jun 4th, 2009 at 2:06pm:
I'm not all that sure about that, myself. If you have up to date virus/malware protection and have the basic sense not to be using IE or Outlook/OE, I don't see where a machine running XPsp1 for example is any more vulnerable than one running XPsp3. 

You have a small hole in the wall of your house.  All kinds of things come in through it.  Ants, crickets, mice....  You call an exterminator and he comes and kills everything and sets some traps.  For a few weeks everything is good.  Slowly, ants find their way back in, the traps fill up and become ineffective, your house gets overrun again.

Tired of paying an exterminator every few weeks, you patch the hole up nice and tight.  The exterminator comes one last time, and life is good.

Anti-virus is the exterminator.  OS updates patch the hole.  And, just like ants can take up residence in your interior walls and become very difficult to exterminate, so can a trojan or virus install a root-kit on your machine that anti-virus will have a difficult time detecting and removing. 

Not using IE6 is a good step, but IE7/8, Firefox, and Safari all have issues from time to time and need to be updated.  Worse than that, with an OS behind on patches, the OS itself can be exploited in ways a virus scanner is not prepared for.  Anti-virus vendors are very reactive, not proactive, and malware writers are a creative breed.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 7:32pm

Check out autopatcher
http://www.autopatcher.com/whatsautopatcher/

great for updating a system before ever connecting it online or for systems on dialup. just borrow someones highspeed connection to download to a flash drive or CD/DVD.

MrMagoo...
  Well put... about the hole in the wall.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print