Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Setting up a NETWORK (Read 5125 times)
Cookie Jar
N00b

I Love Radified!

Tottenham ON Canada

Re: Setting up a NETWORK
May 12th, 2009 at 9:03am

We are trying to set up a wired Ethernet network of 3 PCs in our home.  All the PCs will be running XP pro.  Because we live in the sticks, we only have dial-up available (typically 40Kbps) . 
     We are complete newbies when it comes to networks, and would appreciate any guidance for setting things up and advice.  Of the many issues that come to mind there are two areas that have us concerned: 1. Ethernet wiring.  2. Managing Updates.

1. Ethernet wiring:
     When we built the house, 17 years ago, we wired each room  with 2 coax cables and 12 shielded twisted pairs.  Will we be able to use the shielded pairs with the conventional Ethernet cards on the PCs?  Are there Ethernet cards still available that use coax?

(Our house has aluminum backed drywall, so RF probably wouldn’t work.  We’re living in a close approximation to a Faraday cage.  The advantage of the aluminum backed drywall is that it allowed us to glue the drywall to the studs, greatly improving the stregnth of the structure and eliminating popped nails and minimizing cracks.)

2. Managing Updates: 
     There must be a better way of updating software than getting on the Internet via dial-up on each PC individually and tying up our phone line for hours on end.  It seems most updates are done automatically these days, so this is the path of least resistance. 
     We’d like to be able to download updates on one PC and then install them on the other two.  The Updates of most concern to us are for Windows XP pro, Avira and Microsoft Defender, though updates are common now for most software.
     Although we will have a modem on only one PC, will it’s protection software protect the other PCs?  In any case,  I think we need protection software on each PC as our boys bring in a lot of files via memory sticks. 

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #1 - May 12th, 2009 at 12:38pm

Cookie Jar wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 9:03am:
Are there Ethernet cards still available that use coax?

I haven't seen any.  That doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means they are, at best, incredibly rare.

Will we be able to use the shielded pairs with the conventional Ethernet cards on the PCs?

Ethernet cable has 4 pairs.  If you can wire 4 pairs together in each room and have them meet at some central point, you are set.  It is technically possible to make it work with 2 pairs, but I think it's asking for trouble to try.

Although we will have a modem on only one PC, will it’s protection software protect the other PCs?

No.  Each computer needs to be updated.

We’d like to be able to download updates on one PC and then install them on the other two.

You can do that.  It is just a more manual process.  The process is different for each piece of software you want to update.  The general idea is to download all the updates, transfer them over your network to each PC, and install them on each computer.

I think we need protection software on each PC as our boys bring in a lot of files via memory sticks.

Keeping them all updated is smart.  Kids have an innate ability to get computers infected with all kinds of nasties.  Updates help slow that down.

Cookie Jar wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 8:59am:
Because we live in the sticks, we only have dial-up available (typically 40Kbps) .

There's really nothing else available?  Is satellite an option?  Even a bad broadband connection is better than dial-up.  Most people underestimate the difference between dial-up and broadband.  It really does change the way you think about using your computer.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2009 at 10:34pm

MrMagoo wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 12:38pm:
people underestimate the difference between dial-up and broadband.It really does change the way you think about using your computer. 

My first broadband connection (cable) .. thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Paradigm shift, like you say.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2009 at 12:51pm

@
Cookie Jar

Quote:
Because we live in the sticks, we only have dial-up available

So, even DSL via you telephone line is not available--DSL is not as fast as cable, but would certainly be acceptable--but, you telephone company has to have the infrastructure set up to support it.

Quote:
When we built the house, 17 years ago, we wired each room  with 2 coax cables and 12 shielded twisted pairs.  Will we be able to use the shielded pairs with the conventional Ethernet cards on the PCs?

So, you have telephone wiring that allows for 12 separate telephone lines--wow!  I think most *network* wiring is 4 twisted pairs (eight separate wires) referred to as *CAT 5*--they're specifically designed to cancel out *cross-talk* between wires--I don't know that you can adapt a telephone wire for networking.

This guide might give you some insight into options with networking cabling:  http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable1.htm

Quote:
(Our house has aluminum backed drywall, so RF probably wouldn’t work.  We’re living in a close approximation to a Faraday cage.  The advantage of the aluminum backed drywall is that it allowed us to glue the drywall to the studs, greatly improving the stregnth of the structure and eliminating popped nails and minimizing cracks.)

*RF* i.e. as in *wireless* networking I presume?!

Well, don't automatically rule it out!  In my previous home, I had a rec room that was originally a covered porch.  It was remodeled to be an enclosed rec room and they used aluminum backed insulation panels.  But, that's where I had the computer and the wireless router--I could get a good signal throughout the entire two story house even with that aluminum back insulation!

And, even if wireless does not work throughout--you could still have the wireless available in the room where the wireless router is located--friends and family who visit with their laptops could tap into the network to share their photos, etc. over the network--very convenient compared to finding compatible connector cords or using other transfer media--such as memory sticks!

COAX Network cards:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/29/netgears-coax-ethernet-adapter-up-for-pre-ord...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/28/d-link-introduces-dxn-221-coax-ethernet-adapt...

http://www.vpi.us/eth-coax.html

http://blogs.zdnet.com/home-theater/?p=709

Quote:
2. Managing Updates: 
     There must be a better way of updating software than getting on the Internet via dial-up on each PC individually and tying up our phone line for hours on end.

If you're planning on using *Automatic Updates*--each system has to be scanned individually!

You might want to look into other options such as the software described here:  Free software-update service spots risky apps

Quote:
I think we need protection software on each PC as our boys bring in a lot of files via memory sticks

Indeed!  Read more:

AutoRun patch a long time coming for XP users

Microsoft flubs a way to disable AutoRun in XP

Conficker.C update

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2009 at 6:30pm

NightOwl wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 12:51pm:
I think most *network* wiring is 4 twisted pairs (eight separate wires) referred to as *CAT 5*--they're specifically designed to cancel out *cross-talk* between wires--I don't know that you can adapt a telephone wire for networking.

The design element that cancels out cross-talk is the twisting on the pairs.  The category rating on CAT5 is mostly a measure of how many twists per inch the cable has.  CAT3 has fewer twists, which means more cross-talk, which means it is rated for lower speeds.  CAT6 has more twists, less cross-talk, higher speed rating.

Since he has twisted pairs installed, I think it will be capable of carrying network signals.  I guess the quality of the wire might present challenges if the rooms are too far apart, tho.

And, of course, I think we all forgot to mention all of the alternative networking options.  We talked at length about them here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1235979449

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print