Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intelligent Hard Drive Crash Insights (Read 3137 times)
goober
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Intelligent Hard Drive Crash Insights
May 14th, 2009 at 10:51am

Hello Gentleman,

If I partion a hard drive > Making half the drive "extended"----Would the half that is not apart of the "extended drive" be rendered *unuseable* (IF) the "extended partition" went (BAD) and was totally ruined?

Thank You for your help!
                         The Goobmeister

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Intelligent Hard Drive Crash Insights
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2009 at 4:02pm

It depends. 

How did the drive get 'rendered unusable'?  You can often partition carefully to exclude damaged areas of the drive and make the rest of the drive useable, but it depends on how the drive was damaged, where it was damaged, and what tools you have.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Intelligent Hard Drive Crash Insights
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2009 at 4:15pm

Goober, I don’t know the answer to your hypothetical question.  However, I wonder:  Would your backup and recovery strategy be different if you were using a primary versus an extended partition?  From my perspective, the answer is “no” – and, thus the issue of cascading corruption between partitions (if it exists at all) would be secondary to choosing the partition layout that makes the most sense for your specific needs.

ShadowProtect Desktop can backup and restore to extended partitions, and I suspect that the same is true for many other image backup utilities.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print