Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restoring disk image from old to new computer (Read 3201 times)
Richard K
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Atlanta, GA

Restoring disk image from old to new computer
May 15th, 2009 at 3:07pm

Suppose my PC dies and I have to get a new one (probably ships with Vista).  Can I restore a current image from the old computer on to the new one?

I would have a fairly current image from the old one I can restore on the new PC.  It would be XP Pro (goodbye Vista).

As soon as it starts XP will know its on the wrong computer.  Can I get MS to move the registration  to the new one?

What about all the apps, etc., that may be looking in the wrong place for their  resources on the new one?

Seems like many people would face this situation sooner or later.  Am I making too big a deal out of it?

Sure, I always expect the worse from any problem I can think up in advance.  Its never as bad as I think it will be.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Restoring disk image from old to new computer
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2009 at 12:18am

@
richkl

Richard

There has been several threads regarding this issue--and it depends on which imaging/restoring software you are using--and the OS involved:

Ghost image and STOLEN computer - please CLARIFY

Restoring an image to a different computer

And, I have actually done this with WinXP and Ghost 2003--I hope to go into more detail soon:

*Yes, we can* restore a Ghost image to Dissimilar Hardware!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Restoring disk image from old to new computer
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2009 at 11:37am

Quote:
Can I restore a current image from the old computer on to the new one?

I have restored backup images to different hardware using ShadowProtect Desktop, and it works well. You can also “practice” this scenario by restoring the backup image to a virtual PC (e.g., using VMware Workstation).

Quote:
Can I get MS to move the registration to the new one?

You should look at the license for your copy of Windows.  I believe that OEM versions cannot be transferred, but retail versions do have this option.

Quote:
What about all the apps, etc., that may be looking in the wrong place for their resources on the new one?

You may need to contact the manufacturer of each application for instructions and advice on how to move an application to a new PC.  In the case of Adobe Acrobat, for example, you need to first deactive it on the old PC before installing it on the new PC.

It may be personal preference, but if I were transitioning from an old PC to a new PC, I would simply reinstall my applications on the new PC, staring with a “clean slate.”

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print