Send Topic Print
Style of new guide? (Read 6179 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Style of new guide?
May 19th, 2009 at 7:12pm

What do you guys think of the STYLE/FORMAT/LAYOUT of the new Rad guide? .. posted here:

http://radified.com/dreamweaver/templates/index.html

Way back we went 'round this tree-of-style once before .. I think when I was beginning the VPS guide.

http://vps.radified.com/

.. or maybe it was when I was starting the Ghost 12 guide? (Ah, no matter.)

And I recall, for example, NightOwl suggesting I replace the eye-ball searing white background with a slightly shaded color (a suggestion which I incorporated in this newest guide).

Anyway, I know everybody has different prefs stylistically, but I'm interested in your opinions .. especially now that I have an easier way to make changes, and my CSS skills have improved considerably.

This new guide fully conforms to XHTML Strict web standards.

The only thing I'd like to change for certain is modify that top-white area to make it more 'Rad' (and darker). My Photoshop skills have also grown, so that should no problem. Tho it will take some time to arrive at a design I know I will like for a while.

I could also throw some rounded corners in for good measure.

Update: I added the rounded corners, but you need Firefox or Seamonkey or some other browser than IE to see cuz IE does not sppt the CSS I added to achieve. Opera not seeing it either.

http://perishablepress.com/press/2008/11/24/perfect-rounded-corners-with-css/

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Style of new guide?
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2009 at 11:11pm

@
Rad

Quote:
NightOwl suggesting I replace the eye-ball searing white background with a slightly shaded color

I glanced at the template when you first posted this--apparently you had not added the light grey background at the time--the *white* was indeed *glaring*--like the grey much better!

Quote:
Update: I added the rounded corners, but you need Firefox or Seamonkey or some other browser than IE to see cuz IE does not sppt the CSS I added to achieve.

Those rounded corners really give it some style!  Also, the colors seem more vibrant, and fonts seem more *readable* in Firefox compared to IE--but that may be the *Zoom* factor is slightly different--at 100% in IE, the font size is quite a bit larger--but in Firefox smaller--if I zoom Firefox to more closely match IE I guess it starts looking the same!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Style of new guide?
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2009 at 1:11am

Looking good.  I like the previous and next buttons in the margins. I also like how you blended the ad in at the bottom.  It blends in enough to get attention without being obtrusive.

The colors and rounded corners really give it a nice style.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print