Send Topic Print
network backup (Read 8622 times)
4001rick
Dude

I Love Radified!

eastern shore maryland

network backup
Jun 3rd, 2009 at 3:50am

hello,i have ghost14 and i need to mirror 4 hard drives on my home network. when i try to connect to the computers, through ghost, it asks for a user name and password, there is no user name or password for my network. each computer has no user name or PW either. i know I'm missing something but i just cant figure out what it is can anyone help?  thanks,4001rick

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: network backup
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:40am

@
4001rick

First--disclaimers!  I don't use Ghost 14.  And I don't use *networking* (very much)--so my level of expertise is limited  Wink !

I do use *simple* file sharing on a small home network--it does not require use of passwords and user names--I suspect that's what you are also doing.

Are you using WinXP?  I am and this applies to that OS--but, is probably similar on other Windows OSs.

Certain Windows functions do require the setting of passwords to use them--for instance, I found that to use Windows Scheduling and its Backup program, I had to go into Control Panel/User Accounts and set a password before I could use the Scheduling feature for a scheduled use of the Backup program.

So, go to Control Panel/User Accounts.  Choose the account you need to change.  When I bring that account up, on the left hand side of the dialog box, it says *Related Tasks*.  The top listing is *Manage my network passwords*.  Click on that and follow the steps required.  This may be all that you need to do to get things working.

But, you may also need to use the Computer's name for network settings:  if you right-click *My Computer* and select *Properties* you will bring up *System Properties*.  Second tab over is *Computer Name*--click on that to see the name and workgroup your system has assigned to it.  I think each computer in a network has to have a unique name and a common domain name--i.e. *Workgroup* name--you should research this--I'm not completely sure here!  I wouldn't make changes here unless you find you need to.

Let us know if that works out, and what you actually had to change to make it work!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:49am

4001rick wrote on Jun 3rd, 2009 at 3:50am:
when i try to connect to the computers, through ghost, it asks for a user name and password

Rick, Ghost 14 has to be installed on the pc that it is running on.  It is the home consumer version of Ghost.  It appears to me from your question, that you purchased/installed one copy of Ghost 14 and now you want to take backup images of other computers *remotely*.  That's not possible with Ghost 14.  You would need to purchase a server/client version of Ghost to do that -- which would install on the server, and a small client version on each networked computer.  Ghost Solution Suite 2.x is possibly the version you are looking for.  However, it is designed for business environment, and may be an overkill for your needs.  Maybe you just need to buy 4 licenses of Ghost 14 for home use.

http://www.symantec.com/business/ghost-solution-suite

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Complicated
N00b

I Love Radified!

Germany

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 2:54am

Hello Radified,

first I want to say thanks for this great place you are providing for Ghost User. I learned a lot of usefull stuff that helped me to set up my backup solution with NG14. (The offered support of this Community was the reason I decided for NG14 after all)

So I want to give something back here regarding network backup with NG14:

@John
sorry, but I have to disagree. NG14 ist completly capable to backup remotely other Workstations in a Workgroup.
What you need is a product licence for each PC to implement the Agent. This is by far cheaper then your suggested solution (each NG14 containing 1 licence was 29 €. Using 3 PC in my workgroup equals roundabout 90€). For more Details how it works just read on  Smiley

@NightOwl
I can confirm your post. To use a network share as backup target you have to activate a Useraccount on every PC you are going to backup. But thats not all Windows XP needs. Here some more Details to take a look at:

My Configuration:
Workgroup: 3 PC XP Professionell SP3
Router/DHCP: Fritzbox 7270
NAS: Synology DS-109j (as well working with QNAP TS-239)
USB/eSATA external HD connected to the NAS: backup target.

The external HD ist the backup target for all PC and the NAS

The USB-HD is formated ext3 for speed reasons depending to the used Filesystem by the NAS. The share is accessed via Samba.
  • Networksettings:
    You have to disable the Simple File Sharing on every PC in the Workgroup. This is not possible in the XP Home Version. The simple network protokol is responsible for disabling password use on shares. NG14 needs it to work.
    Guide for disabling/enabling Simple File Sharing (SFS):
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/ht/winxpsfs.htm

Then I realized that NG14 works poorly with WINS. It works as long as there is only 1 PC accessing the share for backup. But it seems to colide with a second backup started by another if the backup ist still in progress. I was not able to find out if thios is caused by NG14, the NAs or the Router. But disabling WINS and Netbios Services solved this isue. The Workgroup Clients will not be visible anymore in the Windows Explorer to browse it.

Create a User Account on each PC for backup purpose and another one for normal Login.
    e.g:
    User: Norton
    Password: backup
    (This Account can be with the same Data on each PC)

User: Human
    Password: work
    (This Account must be Unique on each PC)

This Logins you will use when NG14 asks you when connecting a PC remotly. This is not the login used to access the share (backup target). If the share is hosted by one of the PCs in the network and not independent like in my configuration, you will need a User Account fpr every Client in the Workgroup on this PC, since NG14 cant use the same login for remote access and backup target at the same ressource(PC).
  • Norton Ghost 14 Settings
    Install NG14 only on 1 PC - the Backup-Master which will remotly control all backups. Implement the Backup Agent from this Backup Master to all other PCs (see manual for this task). When asked to login use the Account you have created on each PC (e.g. User: Norton Pass:backup)
    Now create the backup job you like, and select the target (share).
    IMPORTANT:
    the share must be accessed with the same login you have created for normal work (e.g. User: Human Pass:work) - not the Login you have used to connect with NG14 to the remote PC. So if you have a NAS like me, you need to create a User matching for each PC to access the share - create the Unique Accounts there. If you are using a PC hosting a share you need this Users created there.

When setting the backup target use the IP-Adress to refer to it, avoid naming e.g. use \\192.168.178.50\backup instead of
    \\Server\backup there could always be mess with translation of DNS or WINS (it's deactived here)

The tricky thing is the way Windows accesses shares: by default a client accessing a share is trying to login with the Userdata you logged in when starting Windows. So it is the most stable way to use exactly the same Userdata to login to the remote hosting the share. Using different Login Data is working, but not reliable when restatring the Computer. The automatic reconnection of the share is not happening every time.

You should avoid to map the Networkshare with a Driveletter (net use), since this would be another login to the share that could colide with NG14 when trying to login for backup. So far I think there is no need for when using a backup-only share.

I hope this was helpfull Smiley

Edit: I added some Imformation and Examples. Also some spelling corrected  Wink

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:18am

Complicated wrote on Jun 26th, 2009 at 2:54am:
@John  sorry, but I have to disagree. NG14 ist completly capable to backup remotely other Workstations in a Workgroup.
What you need is a product licence for each PC to implement the Agent. This is by far cheaper then your suggested solution (each NG14 containing 1 licence was 29 €. Using 3 PC in my workgroup equals roundabout 90€). For more Details how it works just read on

@Complicated, first thank you for your very extensive response and detailed information on how you solved the agent use.

Have you passed the 30 day "free agent" time use yet?"  Look at Chapter 9 of the Ghost 14 User Manual, which says:

Quote:
Norton Ghost lets you connect to, and back up a second computer on your home or office network. You can manage as many computers as needed, but you can only manage one computer at a time.

Note: You must purchase a separate license for each computer you want to manage. You can deploy the agent without a license for a 30-day evaluation. After that time, you must purchase and install the license to continue managing the remote computer. You can purchase additional licenses at the Symantec Global Store.

Details on adding computers, and deploying the agent onto other computers, can be found starting on page 94 of the manual.  I haven't compared their instructions with your experience, but do you agree with their documentation procedures?

I've been unable to find any resource for purchasing *just* the Agent.  Please let us know if you have the link for it.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience.  Please stick around and contribute more!!   Smiley

P.S. If you are looking for a simple (free version available) way to monitor and manage remote pc's, look at Logmein at www.logmein.com.  This gives you complete control of the remote pc as if you were at the remote keyboard.  It's very helpful for remote tech support and monitoring.

IP Logged

Complicated
N00b

I Love Radified!

Germany

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 5:50pm

Hi John,

I have purchased a complete Full Version for every PC to deploy the Agent and then activated all licences from the first day on. Meaning I was not using the 30-Day trial period and my configuration was running in "licenced Mode" from the beginning.
I checked the Shop where i purchased NG14 and its still available. Full Version Price: 25 € check it here: Conrad Electronic

You are right about the unavailability of a Licence/Agent only purchase: I didn't find it too. But I think the Price of 25 € for each PC in a Workgroup using such a powerful Backup Software is unbeatable.

The chapter 9 hint regarding managing only 1 PC at a time is right. But managing a PC is nothing else then setting up the schedules and then forget about it. The Error reports you can receive via Email. Thats how i set it up. Althought you are able to monitor all deployed Agents in the same time by connecting to all PC. Then you will see any Error popup the Clients are showing on the Master-PC as well. And when you deactivate the Popups on the Clients you will be the only one bother by Status reports.
To Setup the backups I think there is no need to connect all Clients at once, since a Workgroup in a SOHO Network rarley would be setup with identical Hardware for the Clients and in this case its much better to set up The Clients one by one to be on the save side.

I have the feeling the agent is the same as used in the Backup Exec Product, and that NG14 is a light version of it. There are several parts in the Software that cant be activated, like "Restore anywhere" e.g. or the consolidating of inkremental Backup. (I found a Workaround)

About the documented way of implementing the agent in the Manual:
It is really that easy as documented there, but there is the isue with the WINS/NetBIOS.
The steps work this way with WINS activated as they write on page 96. I guess that would be ok for 1 Remote Client
It is important to see what
RemoteComputerName
\UserName
would be.

Usualy the Computername in a Workgroup is given at the Client himself. This name ist contributed by WINS Service to the Workgroup. The deployment of the agent works so far. But there will be interruptions of a backup when a second Client starts a backup while Cllient 1 Backup is still in progess. This Error occurs when using the same Backup target (meaning the same PC where the Target-HD is installed). The first Client just aborts the backup without any Error Code to hint what was wrong.
You will as well experience the Phenomen of flip flop Announcement of the Restorepoints being Available/Unavailable every few seconds. I Guess this is caused by the lack of a central Name Server when using WINS. In a XP-Enviroment the first started Client of a Workgroup takes the Server-Role for Name Resolution.

I Realized that my Router (Fritzbox 7270) is resolving Names by DNS and that i could try to disable the WINS Service and use the Computernames provides by the DNS of the Router. For making this work I wrote the IP of my Router in the TCP/IP properties as Standardgateway TCP/IP->Properties->Advanced
So the
RemoteComputerName
I used is not the name given to the Client local. It's the name provided by my Router.

This way there are no aborted backups anymore even when running 3 Clients-Backups at the same time to the same shared folder (I am using the Backup naming feature but do not create a seperate folder for each Client)

During the running backups you are able to switch the Client to be shown at the Backup-Master an monitor the progress or Errors. Or you can just use the "Connect to all" and get popups when triggert by the client.

Of course the way I described it wouldnt work without a Router to provide DNS-Resolution e.g. connected only by a Switch. In this case WINS is needed.

Greets Complicated Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:23pm

Thanks again for your detailed answer.

For monitoring multiple computers which are running Ghost, I just setup the e-mail notification so that any/all error messages are automatically routed to the user/customer.  Then if necessary I can use Logmein to remotely look at the system log etc. or startup the Ghost app remotely and browse.  Very handy.

I agree that the new Agent feature in Ghost 14 seems to be lifted from another product.  Since G14 is oriented to the consumer market, there aren't (in my opinion) a lot of users with demand for remote agent monitoring.

IP Logged

Complicated
N00b

I Love Radified!

Germany

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 4:00am

Hi John,

yes I am using the Email Notification too. I will have a closer look to logmein in the future as soon as i finished my other projects Smiley

Your opinion regarding the needs of the consumer market may be right for the moment. But I can see a rapidly growing need for network solutions at the consumer market with the growing number of NAS Systems. Since those Systems become cheaper and cheaper and people are using the Multimedia Features in a Home Network Enviroment there are daly more Scenarios like this for example:

1 Router (mostly for free by Provider)
1 Desktop PC
1 Laptop (additional Clients by Children/Partner)
1 NAS-Multimedia Server (often RAID 1)
1 Media Player Set Top Box

The NAS Devices provided by e.g. Synology or QNAP do not ship with a reliable Backup Solution. Mostly its rsync installed for Synchronisation to an external Drive. But this doesnt provide any Backup Versions. And with rsync you loose any accidently deleted file on the "Backup" as well, not to mention Data corruption wich would be synched (just like a RAID cant be a Backup) - so I can see there NG14 having a lead with the agent.

At the moment i am testing a QNAP TS-239 NAS with an attached eSATA-Drive as Backup target and I am using NG14 to backup directly to the attached eSATA. The NAS supports iSCSI-Targets and this will be the next step.
iSCSI is able to provide the shared Drives like a really attached HD, and NG14 is able to detect them as lokal Drives. So there will be some tryouts how to restore such a drive in several disaster scenarios.

At the moment i am stucked a little bit with the SRD of NG. But this would be Offtopic here. If I cant find a solution I will post for help in this Forum Smiley
Maybe someone knows how to integrate drivers to read ext3 Filesystem into the SRD or how to integrate the Microsoft iSCSI Connector - would be saving me some research time Wink

Greets Complicated

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 10:45am

@
Complicated

Wow!  Thank you for your contributions!  Networking has so many variables--and you need only make one mistake--or not even know one setting that is necessary--and the whole thing fails!

I've read through your outline--I think I follow *most* of it!  I don't use Ghost 14, so can't really try the steps directly.  Gets a little hard to follow which *user acct* and *machine name* goes where and when!

But, we have occasional questions about using networks and we can always use someone who knows this stuff--we tend to get questions about networking in the DOS based Ghost forum.

As John. said:

Quote:
Again, thanks for sharing your experience.  Please stick around and contribute more!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print