Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Major Technical Breakthrough in Windows Boot-Times (Read 6663 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Major Technical Breakthrough in Windows Boot-Times
Jun 3rd, 2009 at 9:24am

Readers of this forum may be interested in the efforts of Diskeeper to improve the boot speed of Windows…

Quote:
With boot up performance becoming a major purchase consideration for consumers, and even enterprises evaluating new desktop, laptop and netbook providers, Diskeeper Corporation today announced a major technical breakthrough in the field of Instant On computing.

Even with increasingly more powerful hardware, the time it takes to boot Windows operating systems has increased. While Microsoft continues to make improvements, many vendors have offered alternative solutions that allow users to boot to alternate operating systems. But what if you could boot up Windows in the same time it takes to boot an alternate system? The pioneers of increasing computer performance have made the unimaginable come true.

Diskeeper Corporation is in the final production stages of a solution to speed the boot process of Windows based operating systems. Extensive tests performed on Windows XP utilizing different hardware from a variety of manufacturers, shows significant boot-time improvements on every system tested, including cases where the boot process completes over 10 seconds faster. Tests on the Windows 7 Release Candidate demonstrated similar results. Improvements from this new technology translate into as much as 20% faster boot-times.

Manny Salinas, President of Diskeeper Corporation, noted that "we expect to offer this solution to consumers and corporations alike, but a key initiative is to make this technology available directly to computer manufacturers."

Director of Product Management, Michael Materie added that "this is far more than a unilateral consumer technology, and has tremendous appeal to the global Windows community." By offering near-immediate boot up, corporations will be able to enforce green computing policies and cut energy costs significantly without lost productivity. Materie concluded that "workstations can now be powered off at night without incurring the lost production the following business day as users power up the system and then go get coffee."

Diskeeper Corporation believes that the dramatic improvement in boot-times will provide a high-demand product differentiation to system builders. EVP of Business Strategy, Modesto Rodriguez, confirmed that "we expect to see this technology shipping from OEMs in Q3 of this year as we already have numerous household brand computer OEMs who have expressed significant interest and are moving forward."

Source:  Major Technical Breakthrough in Windows Boot-Times

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Major Technical Breakthrough in Windows Boot-Times
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 10:09am

@
Pleonasm

As always--interesting information!

But, isn't this a little bit over-the-top marketing hype?!

Quote:
Extensive tests performed on Windows XP utilizing different hardware from a variety of manufacturers, shows significant boot-time improvements on every system tested, including cases where the boot process completes over 10 seconds faster.

In my *world*--10 seconds faster being the maximum increase they were able to achieve--does not qualify as a *significant boot-time improvement*.

If faster return to *up time* is needed, wouldn't using the *hibernate* feature be faster?  I don't use that feature--I don't know if you can *password* protect your system when it goes into hibernate mode.

Let's see--if 10 seconds is a 20% improvement, then I think we're going from 50 second boot time to 40 second boot time--is that going to change my life dramatically?!!!!  Am I going to be more willing to sit at my computer waiting for the boot process to complete so that I'm *more productive* if I only have to wait 40 seconds and not 50 seconds?

I could be wrong, but I would think most users are going to walk away from their system after hitting the on-button, and will waste more than that 10 seconds time before coming back and completing the boot process by entering their password, etc.

Just being argumentative--I find our *instant gratification* society a bit much sometimes!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 11:29am

NightOwl, yes - I agree.  There seems to be a bit of "hype" in this announcement.  Still, it's interesting to keep an eye on these developments.

Once the technology transitions from the "vaporware" stage to actual software, I'm sure we'll see critical assessments and thoughtful reviews appearing in the press.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 6:57pm

Making Windows boot faster is an easy target for marketing.  Most people feel like Windows takes far too long to boot up, including me. 

Usually, it is something outside of Windows that stretches boot-up time.  Many Windows Domain admins love to make your machine execute little scripts during boot up or log on, adding significantly to boot-up time.  At home, malware and anti-virus are typically the culprits.  Some AV clients automatically perform a scan at every boot-up - making turning the computer on a long process.

Scheduling AV scans for the middle of the night, reducing the number or programs that load on startup, defragmentation, and cleaning out malware are all likely to be a much bigger improvement for most people than this diskkeeper product (although not necessarily in that order.)

Windows7 supposedly boots much quicker than Vista, but I haven't tested myself.

Some Linux fans have put a ton of effort into making Linux boot quicker, and their results have been impressive.  I assume it is the same sort of things Microsoft tried to do with Windows7, but taken to a much larger extreme.

http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/

There are also efforts to boot a Linux environment directly from BIOS, giving you essentially an instant-on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moblin
http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 5:29am

MrMagoo wrote on Jun 3rd, 2009 at 6:57pm:
Windows7 supposedly boots much quicker than Vista, but I haven't tested myself.

I've got images of bare installs that I can use for comparison tests.  These are the boot times* I get, in seconds, until the desktop icons show up, and until the wireless icon in the system tray changes from 'not connected' to 'connected'.

WinXP       Vista        Win7
Time to show
desktop icons                          20          41          36

Time to establish
wireless connection                    31          52          41

These are clean installs of just the bare OS, with nothing added except appropriate drivers for the hardware.  Tests were done on a 2.16-Ghz Core2 Duo laptop with 3-GB ram.  Repeating the tests consistently showed times within about +/- 1 sec.

Note: Each partition came from a Ghost restore, so file system fragmentation should not have any impact.  Each restored OS was rebooted once before testing to make sure it had a chance to reestablish its paging file.

* Boot times do not include POST time.  I'm multibooting, so I started counting from the time I initiated the boot selection from the boot menu.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 6:10pm

Wow.  Interesting comparison.  Thanks for posting your numbers.  So it looks like Windows did improve from Vista -> Win7 but is still a step backward from XP.

The fast booting Linux distro I linked to above went from POST to an idle desktop ready for user input in about 5 seconds on an Eee PC.  Most of the changes they made were in kernel initialization.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 9:35pm

Yeah, XP is still my main OS because I've got it tweaked just right and I'm familiar with it.

I haven't been playing with Win7 that long and haven't really put it through it's paces, but I like what I've seen so far.  The UI is quite similar to Vista, but I strongly dislike Vista, so I don't think it's just the "pretty face" I'm reacting to with Win7.  I still haven't figured out where Microsoft moved all the usual settings to configure things, but it feels snappy, not sluggish, seems quite stable, the UI has some nice features, and that UAC stuff isn't as intrusive as it is with Vista.

I think Brian's been test-driving Win7 for awhile now, so I wonder what his thoughts are.

That "linux-in-5-secs" link was interesting, but it's that "linux-in-the-bios" idea that I find most intriguing.  I first heard about that a couple months ago, and think it holds enormous potential.

Actually, what I think would be ideal in the future would be a bios that booted to a virtualization shell, from which the user could launch a virtual machine stored on a hard disk, flash drive, the network, et al.  Rather than having to boot an OS first (Windows, linux, OS X...) and running a virtualization program (VMware, VirtualPC, Parallels...) from that OS, the bios would provide the virtualization environment directly.  Imagine if everyone could carry their own "computer" on a flash drive and plug it into any hardware shell anywhere (home, work, public library, friend's house...) and have your own OS of choice, desktop, programs, and settings--all without having to worry about drivers or relying on a particular host OS.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print