Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
IE8 iexplore.exe stays open in task manager despite end task (Read 27401 times)
MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: IE8 iexplore.exe stays open in task manager despite end task
Reply #15 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 4:22pm

I haven't used HijackThis in a long time, so I can't be much help there.  In your autorun, I see some interesting stuff.

If memory serves, Roboform is a critter you don't want crawling around.  That CjmBrowserHelperObject by MindJet (who I'm not familiar with) sounds suspicious.  As Dan mentioned, BHO's are often not your friend.  The "SnagIt" IE add-on also sounds suspicious to me.

I'd start by disabling at least those 4 items (SnagIt is listed at least twice,) rebooting, and see if its any better.  Either way, a thorough malware scan from safe mode is never a bad idea in cases like this.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #16 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 5:43pm

RoboForm is a password-saving app .. for all the forums I frequent.

SnagIt is the best screen capture utility I know of, since I do a lot of that.

MindJet makes a cool think-on-paper prgm that's great for collecting & organizing thoughts & ideas.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #17 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 8:20pm

Wow.  You got lotsa stuff.  My HiJackThis scan is only 25 lines long (not counting the processes report), and my Autoruns IE tab has only one item in it.  Then again, I don't install extra IE toolbars (I hate 'em), and I use virtual machines for a lot of my websurfing.

The HJT log shows several "missing file" lines... that wouldn't be causing your problem, but it's worth cleaning those up while you're at it.

The only obvious baddy is WO.exe in the last line.  You never want to see something running out of your temp directory on startup, so that's always a tipoff.  OTOH, it's one of the "file missing" entries, so maybe a prior problem that got cleaned in a virus scan later?

The rest looks legit (not that I'm all that familiar with a lot of it), but that doesn't mean it couldn't be causing the problem.  I'd zero in on the O2, O4, and O23 lines, as the others probably don't autostart.

In particular, I notice a lot of license verification or authentication kind of services starting up... maybe one of those is launching an IE stub and hanging--maybe a file got corrupted, or maybe there's a problem at the other end of the internet that the service is trying to connect to for authentication?

(Not that I'm familiar with how they're designed to operate, but are all those authentication services shown in 'Running processes' supposed to be there?  I can understand something starting when you launch the program, but even if you're not using the program?  I'm not saying you should try to shut them off, but just that it might be a clue worth investigating whether one of them is not shutting down when it's supposed to and hanging IE.)

You've also got some "updater" kinds of services autostarting... not that they're necessarily bad, but maybe one of them is stalling.  FWIW, I always remove those update-checker items from my startup.

One that caught my eye is GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe, one of the O4 startup lines.  Okay, I've seen that in the startup sequence on a lot of clients' systems, but I assumed it just launched on startup, checked your toolbar version, and shut down if you were up to date.  Does it really leave a process running, as shown in the 'Running processes' list?  Wow.

You've also got Startup Delayer and Outpost Firewall loading at startup... maybe one of those is interfering with one of the internet verification services?  I'd try disabling both of those and seeing if it makes any difference.

IP Logged

Spanky
Radmeister

Rad's non-Admin Test profile
in Seamonkey

Same as Rad

Reply #18 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 8:38pm

Thanks.

Seems like I'm always demo'ing new stuff, then uninstalling later. I know it probably gums up the works, but I like to see what software does.

I'll look closer after I fire up these steaks on the grill.

I appreciate you taking the time to scan these entries, cuz they're so long.

I am always running scans, both online and offline.

I even use NOD32 boot CD and scan from there, so as to catch critters that might hide themselves after Windows load.

I've also used web scans from other AV manufacturrers, such as Panda, etc. Ones I don't normally use/install.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #19 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 1:17am

Spanky wrote on Jun 7th, 2009 at 8:38pm:
Seems like I'm always demo'ing new stuff, then uninstalling later. I know it probably gums up the works, but I like to see what software does.

That's what virtual machines are for.   Wink

Spanky wrote on Jun 7th, 2009 at 8:38pm:
I've also used web scans from other AV manufacturrers, such as Panda, etc. Ones I don't normally use/install. 

Well, okay... but didn't I see Panda in your HJT scan?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #20 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 12:28pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Jun 8th, 2009 at 1:17am:
That's what virtual machines are for.

Yeah, that's what I do now, but I didn't discover the wonders of virtualization until recently, and I've had this laptop .. for years. Live-n-learn. Better late than never.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print