HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Network Cloning (Read 9127 times)
Deranged
Ex Member

Network Cloning
Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Ok, here is my dilemma, I want to backup whole disk images to a NAS, I tried Acronis Trueimage and it gives a read error part way through, it backs up fine though. The system is using a Broadcom Gigabit NIC. I want to switch to a different program that won't give me errors, I have also tried FTP in Acronis but still get errors, my NAS is not the issue. Is there any other program free or pay(don't care as long as it works) that I can boot off a CD and backup my disks to my NAS? That works quick and without issues? Also I don't want to install the program on the systems as they are to be imaged workstations. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Re: Network Cloning
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 3:59pm

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

Deranged
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 2:43pm

I tried the GSS 2.5 and it requires a server to be installed on. So I am now using Acronis True Image Server, works great and doesn't need to be installed on a server. I just created a BartPE disc with it and it works great. Thanks again.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 9:16am

@
Deranged

Quote:
I tried the GSS 2.5 and it requires a server to be installed on.

Interesting!  Are you sure you read the installation info correctly?  I thought when you installed GSS 2.5 on a given computer, that system became the *Ghost Server* for use accessing other systems on the network.

I was not aware that you had to have a *server* unit already set up to install GSS 2.5.

Anyone else with experience regarding this?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 5:44pm

NightOwl wrote on Jun 17th, 2009 at 9:16am:
Interesting!Are you sure you read the installation info correctly?I thought when you installed GSS 2.5 on a given computer, that system became the *Ghost Server* for use accessing other systems on the network.

That's right, but you also don't even have to install anything to use it either. The ghost executable (ghost32.exe) included can also be run by itself without using the console. It can be run from a PE environment or from the booted windows OS and supports hot imaging. there is also a DOS version included if needed. Installation of the console is needed when you want to use it to manage imaging of multiple systems from a central location and use the full potential of GSS. I have no experience using the console but have used ghost.exe both from Windows and Bart PE.

from the getting started GSS guide...

The Ghost executable, Ghost.exe, is at the heart of Symantec Ghost. Ghost.exe is
a small executable run from DOS that contains all of the functions that you need
to do the following:
■ Clone disk to disk.
■ Clone partition to partition.
■ Back up or restore using LPT, USB, FireWire, TCP/IP, or a mapped network
drive.
Ghost32.exe is a Win32 version of Ghost.exe and is designed to run on Microsoft
Windows Vista/PE/XP/2000.

and also...

Images may be created hot, using Volume Snapshot, from both
the Ghost Console and the standard tools.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 10:02am

@
ckcc

Thanks for your feedback--I didn't think you had to have a *server* in order to install GSS 2.5!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print