Send Topic Print
UNIX Shell scripting (Read 58886 times)
Rad.in.UbuntuVM
Radmeister

Rad in Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
Virtual Machine

Re: UNIX Shell scripting
Reply #30 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 11:09pm

The fonts here in Ubuntu don't look nearly as good as they do in Windows. For example, I set the font your reading now to Verdana, but I can tell this font in Ubuntu is NOT Verdana (which is a very readable font). This looks more like Arial or Helvetica.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #31 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 2:37am

Nice.  Glad we found it.

IP Logged

Rad.in.UbuntuVM
Radmeister

Virtual Machine

Reply #32 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 1:58pm

MrMagoo wrote on Jun 13th, 2009 at 7:25pm:
Ubuntu doesn't do that.It ships with Vi only.If you'd like to try out Vim, which I prefer, "sudo apt-get install vim" will install it.Then just "vim somefile".

When I go to > Applications > Accessories > Text editor, I get gedit (not Vi). Sup wit dat?

When I go to > Applications > Add/Remove..., I see neither Vi nor Vim listed there. Why not?

When I select "Show All available applications" from the drop-down (in Add/Remove Applications), and search for Vim, I get only GVim returned. I don't understand why Vim wouldn't show.

IP Logged

Rad.in.UbuntuVM
Radmeister

Virtual Machine

Reply #33 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 3:09pm

what do you think of this page?

http://www.ss64.com/bash/

it came up first when i searched google for "linux shell commands".

.. tho i noticed it doesn't list 'unzip' which is one of the commands i commonly use.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #34 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 5:43pm

Rad.in.UbuntuVM wrote on Jun 14th, 2009 at 1:58pm:
When I go to > Applications > Accessories > Text editor, I get gedit (not Vi). Sup wit dat?

When I go to > Applications > Add/Remove..., I see neither Vi nor Vim listed there. Why not?

When I select "Show All available applications" from the drop-down (in Add/Remove Applications), and search for Vim, I get only GVim returned. I don't understand why Vim wouldn't show. 

Those are all graphical applications.  The are designed to run from within Gnome (or another graphical desktop,) not from a shell.  They include mouse support and all kinds of modern graphical funness. 

GEdit works great.  If you editing a document from within the XWindows environment, gedit will do the job.  It even recognizes the syntax of many programing languages and provides color coding to help see what the code is doing. 

But, it needs a graphical environment, which your VPS doesn't provide, so you still need to learn vi or vim (or another text editor that doesn't need a graphical environment.)

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #35 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 5:46pm

Rad.in.UbuntuVM wrote on Jun 14th, 2009 at 3:09pm:
what do you think of this page?

Ya its far from all-inclusive, but it could come in handy.  All you really need to do is find a command that does what you need.  Then, you can use the man page to figure out how to use that command.  So, any pages like that you find can be useful while you are learning.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #36 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 5:51pm

Rad.in.UbuntuVM wrote on Jun 13th, 2009 at 11:09pm:
The fonts here in Ubuntu don't look nearly as good as they do in Windows.

sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Then restart Firefox.

IP Logged

Rad.in.UbuntuVM
Radmeister

Virtual Machine

Reply #37 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 11:05pm

MrMagoo wrote on Jun 14th, 2009 at 5:51pm:
sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Then restart Firefox. 

Magic.

How come they don't install them by default?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #38 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 11:23pm

Rad.in.UbuntuVM wrote on Jun 14th, 2009 at 11:05pm:
How come they don't install them by default?

Not sure.  Probably has to do with license restrictions.

IP Logged

Rad.in.UbuntuVM
Radmeister

Virtual Machine

Reply #39 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 11:37pm

MrMagoo wrote on Jun 14th, 2009 at 5:43pm:
But, it needs a graphical environment, which your VPS doesn't provide,

for some reason, this distinction is hard for my brain to incorporate. obvious once it hits me.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #40 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 2:51am

Rad.in.UbuntuVM wrote on Jun 14th, 2009 at 11:37pm:
But, it needs a graphical environment, which your VPS doesn't provide, 

I don't want to confuse you further, but just to point out the flexibility of it all once you get to more advanced stuff, you could easily install a graphical environment on your server.  You don't even need to be connected to the server to use it.  You'd just need an X-client, which your Ubuntu VM provides.  So, you could install Xorg onto the server, then ssh into it with Xforwarding turned on.  When you launched a graphical application on the server, it would be displayed on your laptop.  You could interact with it as if it was running on your laptop.

In your case I don't recommend it.  First, it would run horribly slow over the internet.  Second, it would take up resources on your server (and might expose additional security risks.)  But, I have done it a few times over my home network.  Comes in handy in some very specific situations.  It works great.

More advanced than where you are at right now, but fun stuff.

IP Logged

Rad.in.UbuntuVM
Radmeister

Virtual Machine

Reply #41 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 2:56pm

MrMagoo wrote on Jun 15th, 2009 at 2:51am:
I don't want to confuse you further,

Good luck.  Smiley

you could easily install a graphical environment on your server.

Now ya got be thinking. For some reason I keep thinking of our VPS as not-mine. But as you infer (since it's a VPS) .. we could conceivably do whatever we want.

I shot off a sppt tik to WiredTree inquiring about X Windows GUI's and what's involved there. Not that I have decided to take that route, but just to clarify their position on the matter.

You don't even need to be connected to the server to use it.You'd just need an X-client, which your Ubuntu VM provides.So, you could install Xorg onto the server, then ssh into it with Xforwarding turned on.When you launched a graphical application on the server, it would be displayed on your laptop.You could interact with it as if it was running on your laptop.

That would be gnarly-cool! I did not even know that was possible. And don't really understand it, even after you spelled it out .. but something there made me smile.

But, I have done it a few times over my home network.Comes in handy in some very specific situations.It works great.

You have first-hand experience. Credibility.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #42 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 4:54pm

Quote:
Hi there.

This is an interesting question, but the short answer is that we don't support it, and we don't recommend it. Almost everything you would need to do should be doable from the WHM, and if there is something that needs to be done using a GUI, we can probably help you find a workaround faster than it would take to set up a proper GUI.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of usage did you have in mind when you thought to set up x windows?

They're interested and curious.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rad.in.UbuntuVM
Radmeister

Virtual Machine

Reply #43 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 7:28pm

From Mike:

Quote:
This is what I was thinking.  If you're comfortable enough with ssh and x windows to do this, you're welcome to try.  It will be really slow over the internet, though. 

I'm still not sure what you need this for, but I'd guess that there are better ways to accomplish this than X11 forwarding.  I guess it would really depend on exactly what you're trying to do/set up.

From Joe (the lead/head sppt guru at WT, who knows a lot):
Quote:
Just adding my 2 cents in here.  Adding Xwindows to your server is most likely a bad idea.  X11 requires a ton of memory to operate correctly and I wouldn't add it if I was you.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #44 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 10:28pm

I was looking at the man pages for tar and noticed in the first example listed there, they use *2* 'v' options >  tar -xvvf foor.tar

I cannot understand why you would EVER use two of ANY options. Do you?

the v option if for/to verbosely list files processed (whatever that means).

And then I was under the assumption that options were ALL single letters, but a review of this man pages indicates this is not true .. that you have options such as --version

Seems that if the option uses more than a single letter, it uses a double-dash .. yes? Is this the rule/syntax?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print