Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost2003-Creating Img DVD-Ghost Doesn't Split auto! (Read 30829 times)
henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Ghost2003-Creating Img DVD-Ghost Doesn't Split auto!
Jun 23rd, 2009 at 7:00am

Hello,

XP Pro, Ghost 2003.
Created image (starting in windows):
1. to 2nd HDD (seperate folder) > compression 'middle' as usual
> successful (incl. check) > size 3624MB.

2. to DVD (TDK 8x) > compression 'middle' > writing successful > check > failed.
log: "compression error 10"

3. to DVD (16x) > NO compression! > estimated size shown in Ghost ~ 5471MB > writing speed ~100MB/min > written size on DVD = 3390MB (!)
----> waited for Ghost asking for 2nd DVD > did NOT ask. Booted right into windows after writing was "finished".
> check > failed (of course - since lack of size of image!).

Read manual > "Ghost auto-splits DVDs. No need to use  commandline".
Angry

Who can tell me how come that Ghost did not ask for second DVD to create full size of Image  Huh
What's going on there ...

The logs as attachment. If there are any German terms you don't understand please ask - I will try to translate.

henriette  Roll Eyes

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

Rad.in.UbuntuVM
Radmeister

Rad in Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
Virtual Machine

Re: Ghost2003-Creating Img DVD-Ghost Doesn't Split auto!
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:30pm

when you say 'starting in windows' is ghost rebooting into dos, or doing everything from a dos window in windows xp?

been a while since i used ghost 2003.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 3:30am

starting in windows then ghost is rebooting into DOS auto.

henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 9:49am

@
henriette

Quote:
Created image (starting in windows):
1. to 2nd HDD (seperate folder) > compression 'middle' as usual

You don't mention, but what is the size estimate indicated when you are setting up this procedure using the Windows Ghost interface for saving the image to a HDD location?  I suspect it is approximately the same as what you indicated in your procedure #3, *estimated size shown in Ghost ~ 5471MB*.

Quote:
Who can tell me how come that Ghost did not ask for second DVD to create full size of Image
What's going on there ...

I don't know this for sure, but I think the Windows Ghost interface estimate of the image file size is based on the reported data size that Windows reports as MB's used on the HDD.  It does not take into account the files that Ghost does not copy to a usual *default* image.  Here's the English User Guide reference of the files not *included* in the image:  Ghost 2003 User Guide, page 69.  So, the final size of the Ghost image is probably less than the size of a single DVD--even without using compression--so you probably only need a single DVD for the Ghost image.

You don't mention--what are the actual files on the two DVDs?  How many files on each, what size, what names?

Your attached log files--one is for the *successful* creation of an image to optical media--and the other is for the failure of the *Integrity* check of the image on optical media.  But, are these logs the same for both trials above--#2 and #3.  Or are those logs for just #2 or just #3?  The error log says:

Quote:
*Error Number: (27101)

I don't see a "compression error 10" listed.

Quote:
Read manual > "Ghost auto-splits DVDs. No need to use  commandline".

That should be correct!

So, it looks like you are creating an image file and *successfully* saving it to optical media, but the *Integrity* check is failing!  So you have a mixed message here and you can not be *sure* you can trust the image file for a successful restore!

I would try several things:

1.  Can you use the Windows *Ghost Explorer* to successfully mount the image files from the DVDs in Windows, browse the files on the image, etc., or are there error(s)?

2.  Use a DOS Ghost Boot disk (floppy) or disc (optical--your image discs should be bootable!)--boot to DOS Ghost and attempt the Integrity test from DOS on the optical disc's image file--results?

3.  Or, the *gold standard*, using a spare HDD--restore the image to the spare HDD and see if everything works--or are there errors!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 12:55pm

Hiya NightOwl,

I wrote:
Quote:
to 2nd HDD (seperate folder) > compression 'middle' as usual

estimated size was 3624MB.

Quote:
DVD #3 > NO compression! > estimated size shown in Ghost ~ 5471MB > written size on DVD = 3390MB (!)

The log-files are BOTH for DVD #3 (is shown in *.logs by CD-ID 182890). Creation was successful, check failed because of lack in full size = see above!

When I saw estimated size over 5MB I was prepared for 2 DVDs, waited for ghost to ask for 2nd DVD but he did not!

Quote:
You don't mention--what are the actual files on the two DVDs?  How many files on each, what size, what names?

There have never been two DVDs for the uncompressed image!

#2 DVD was compressed, different DVD., just 'same' image.

#3 DVD was supposed to be the 1st of two DVDs no compression> Img being splitted by ghost (did not!) > wrote just 1! > then ghost booted auto into windows again > I checked that one DVD. Ended up as failure cuz MBs missing!!!

Quote:
So, the final size of the Ghost image is probably less than the size of a single DVD--even without using compression--so you probably only need a single DVD for the Ghost image.

sorry, due to the check.log I totally disagree.
note: I tried without compression cause three DVDs failed when I created image compressed. So I started without compression - result see above + logs.  Angry

I wrote:
Quote:
Read German manual > "Ghost auto-splits DVDs. No need to use  commandline".

you wrote:
Quote:
That should be correct!

SHOULD, yes. But something is wrong here.

I wrote:
Quote:
# 2!!!! DVD (TDK 8x) > compression 'middle' > writing successful > check > failed.
log: "compression error 10"

Put that one in the bin, since the
logs are ONLY for DVD #3
you won't find the "compression error 10" anywhere!

Quote:
So you have a mixed message here and you can not be *sure* you can trust the image file for a successful restore!

Yesss, mixed messages, 3 times failure in integrity check (compressed).
Once failure (no compression), which is obvious since too small in size to be 'real'  Angry
Quote:
1.  Can you use the Windows *Ghost Explorer* to successfully mount the image files from the DVDs in Windows, browse the files on the image, etc., or are there error(s)?

Yes I think I have tried that once - but will try again - if still works (out of dust-bin).
[Anyway, ghost explorer will just show me what he has written on DVD, and I state that the size is too small!].
Quote:
2.  Use your image discs (should be bootable!)--boot to DOS Ghost and attempt the Integrity test from DOS on the optical disc's image file--results?

LOL - just got them out of the dust-bin. Cleaned them, hoping will still be ok for a try.
Will do the integritiy test from DOS.

NightOwl: How do I get into that DOS with Ghost - just in case - please tell me before I get stuck  Kiss

Quote:
using a spare HDD--restore the image to the spare HDD and see if everything works--or are there errors!

Well, I got 2 HDDs. Cannot use the 3rd = external HDD - ghost would not recognize it.
Did not connect it to USB when installing Ghost that is why.
My usual images go to 2nd HDD 2nd partition I:\IMAGES > separated folders - the way that you do it. Each image separated from each other. Whenever creating a new image, I delete the oldest-one.
So what do you mean by a "spare HDD "  Huh Huh
Ain't got one.

Will try DOS integrity test first.
Then will tell you if worked - if DVDs work that is - still need time to get dry ....

One DVD is compressed with error.
Other is the DVD no compression too small in size.

henriette  Grin

gheeeeeeeez ...
I totally forgot to tell you that a while ago I restored an image for the 1st time from HDD.
All I got was the *gho file, NOT the *GHS NO WAY ghost let me chose *GHS - so the restore was with errors!
AND with this restored image I have been working and fixing till I created the above listed images.
IMHO Ghost should not notice any such errors - even if there were in system - but ghost should create what he gets, shouldn't he ???  Cheesy

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 9:44am

@
henriette

Quote:
There have never been two DVDs for the uncompressed image!

I think you misunderstood--you listed two different attempts at creating images to DVD--#2 procedure and #3 procedure in your initial post.  Those are the two DVDs I'm referring to.  At least according to what you have posted, it looks like Ghost reported *success* in *creating* the image files in both trials.

In Windows, use Windows Explorer to mount each of those DVDs--what files are present (i.e. how many on each disc), names of the files, and sizes?

Quote:
IMHO Ghost should not notice any such errors - even if there were in system - but ghost should create what he gets, shouldn't he ???

Not sure what *errors* you are referring to--but, my impression is that Ghost 2003 may not be completely compatible with your optical drive and writing images to it and reading images back from it--seems to be working partially and part of the time--but, not reliably all the time!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:46am

So here are the results:
1. used Ghost-explorer to mount image files from DVDs in windows:

° DVD #2 (TDK 8x) [compression 'middle']:
was the one with error message "decompression error 10".
---> Ghost explorer mounts successfully imagefile in windows. I browsed each single folder + subfolders. No probs. No errors.

° DVD # 3 [No compression]:
was the one =
3390MB
  of estimated
5471MB
  where Ghost did not ask for 2nd DVD, did not split auto. Booted right into windows after writing was "finished" > writing successful, integrity test in windows  error. See both logs for DVD #3 in first post.
---> Ghost explorer mounts just 8% in windows then message:
"image file is damaged: not all files are being shown".
It just shows folders up to <username>, nothing below. No Windows folder or else !
OVER 1GB is missing !!!
  which should have been written on a second DVD.
Say it again - Ghost did not ask  Angry

2. Booted to DOS attempting integrity test from DOS:

° DVD #2 (TDK 8x) [compression 'middle']:
---> ERROR right after ~15sec saying > "error 19235 image file damaged - decompression error 10"

° DVD # 3 [No compression]:
---> Integrity test running ~25mts of 30mts then error message
saying > "ERROR 'inconsistance' > aborted 21101, corrupt CRC packet header encountered."

Now as I already said, both DVDs had been in the waste-bin with ashes. I had "washed", cleaned + dried them.
DVD #3 has a printable surface which is very sensitive. Anyway it may not necessarily have been damaged by this procedure.
btw: I don't use printing on DVDs - just a CD-pen.

As I stated in my last post:
the image of DVD #3 is just a part of the whole image. Ghost ought to have asked for a 2nd DVD to write the rest of image to be finished but ghost did not ask.

Conclusion:
Ghost was right in the first place by integrity test of DVD #2 + #3 with its error messages in windows.

henriette  Smiley

@NighOwl
just read you post:
Quote:
Ghost 2003 may not be completely compatible with your optical drive and writing images to it and reading images back from it--seems to be working partially and part of the time--but, not reliably all the time!

yes, had the same idea. Got another DVD drive "LG GSA-H55 LR"
Maybe I should remove the BenQ + try the other one ....  Undecided
That but would take a wee while, need firmware + info cuz "new"- one never used, already got it for some years as replacement.
BUT - Ghost did not split - why should ghost do it with another drive  Huh
AND:
Quote:
Those are the two DVDs I'm referring to.  At least according to what you have posted, it looks like Ghost reported *success* in *creating* the image files in both trials.

see results above.
Do you still think a new DVD-drive would help  Huh

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:28pm

@
henriette

Still haven't answered this question:

Quote:
In Windows, use Windows Explorer to mount each of those DVDs--what files are present (i.e. how many on each disc), names of the files, and sizes?

Quote:
Do you still think a new DVD-drive would help 

Maybe.  I have always used Plextor brand optical writers (CD and CD/DVD)--and have never had a failure using them with Ghost from the Windows interface or directly from DOS.

Apparently, there is no universal standard for optical drives.  They use different chipsets (firmware), different commands, different timings, and they are optimized to use various optical discs with different speed ratings.  Most optical writers are developed to be used under Windows.  Almost none (if any) have been developed for use in DOS--which is where Ghost 2003 is doing its imaging procedure!  So Ghost's writing software has to be able to access the drive and determine its writing characteristics.

When  you do a version check for your Ghost program by starting Ghost with this command line:  ghost.exe -ver, I get the following:

Quote:
Norton Ghost 2003 (build=793, cdrlib=3.1.25)

That *cdrlib=3.1.25* is the version of the *CD Library* that's built into Ghost with the various settings for various optical drives that need special settings or commands for Ghost to correctly communicate with that drive.  Ghost 2003 was last updated in late 2004 or early 2005--if your drive is newer than that, then Ghost may or may not have the current drive parameters in its *CD Library*.

Obviously, Ghost *thinks* it recognizes your drive--but the results of attempting to image your system to optical media appear not to be working.

Here's the Symantec FAQ regarding compatible optical drives when Ghost 2003 was last supported:  Norton Ghost 2003 compatibility with CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD drives

So, it looks like Ghost was able to partially work with the TDK 8x media (Test #2), but failed with TDK 16x media  (Test #3)--probably a timing error or miscalculation of media size--and/or timing errors with/or without compression.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 2:13pm

Quote:

just the remark that in windows explorer the image is mounted by ghost explorer, too, when clicking on drive > then on "0001.gho".

Here what's on DVD #2:
---> ntfs [XP]
folders:
Ati
BJPrinter
Documents and Settings
MyDocs
Nvidia
Programms
Recycler
SystemVolumeInformation
Windows

Files:
aaw7boot.log         1.788
Autoexec.bat            0
boot.ini                   210
bootfont.bin           4952
Config.sys                0
immudebug.log  13.550.664
Io.sys                       0
Msdos.sys                0
Ntdetect.com            47.564
ntldr                        251.712
pagefile.sys     2.146.942.976
pdisdk.log               173
pivot.log                  184
virtpart.dat       33.554.432 

Is that what you wanted - I hope so.

DVD #3 > 0,8% mounted > error!

Quote:
I have always used Plextor brand optical writers

yes, is best brand!
I got the LG which I just read recessions about, is a good one.
Here in English:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=20651&PageId=0
But as you said so right
Quote:
non is developed for use in DOS--which is were Ghost 2003 is doing its imaging procedure!

... and the LG is newer than the Benq that I am using now. So no way for Ghost ...  Sad
Well who knows.
Oh, just recall that with my old CD-drive in W2K same happened now and again - restoring images with errors - I always ignored it. Couldn't help it anyway. But never noticed that anything was wrong with my restored system. Well, was not like just installed, lol, had to fix this and that but didn't blame it on Ghost. I used to 'live' with images to avoid a fresh install  Wink Grin

ghost.exe -ver:
Norton Ghost 2003, build 793, cdrlib = 3.1.25
like yours.

Let's call the DVD-drive compatibility-list "ancient".
Telling nothing I had not learned by now  Roll Eyes

Just a question:
what if I had installed Ghost 10 which I did not cuz I found your forum before I installed XP where you recommended Ghost 2003. And I was glad about it.
Think I will try the LG-drive. Will replace the BenQ - maybe next week.
Then but have to do some tests without restoring any image or so, just maybe create image + make integrity test to see what happens  Grin
What's your opinion to that ?

Quote:
it looks like Ghost was able to partially work with the TDK 8x media (Test #2), but failed with TDK 16x media  (Test #3)--probably a timing error or miscalculation of media size--and/or timing errors with/or without compression.

see above what I wrote about CD-drive on W2K.
At that time my drive was a good one and definitely not too new for Ghost 2003. So that could not have been the cause for errors.
On the other hand I never was happy with BenQ, but only concerning Ghost 2003.
In Nero e.g. I can set the writing speed - 4x is what I use.

Please let me know if you need more information about DVD #2.

henriette  Kiss

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:27am

@
henriette

Quote:
Is that what you wanted - I hope so.

Nope--you're over-thinking about what I'm asking--just want the files saved to the optical discs--how many, names, and sizes--might only be one, two, or maybe three.

You mentioned one--*0001.gho*--but bet it says *CDR20001.gho*, or something similar--what else is on disc #2 and disc #3?

Quote:
Just a question:
what if I had installed Ghost 10

Ghost 10 might work fine--only using the software and testing on your system would answer that question.

Quote:
Think I will try the LG-drive. Will replace the BenQ - maybe next week.

What's your opinion to that ?

Nothing ventured--nothing gained!  Might find that it works fine with Ghost 2003!

But, again...my personal way to use Ghost is to save to the HDD--it's the fastest way.  Then, use a burning program to save the image files to DVD later.  If this is what you plan to do regularly--use the *-split=1494* command (you can specify that in the *Advanced Options/Ghost command line*) to make the image file sizes appropriate for saving to DVD and using the space on the DVD effieciently--CD/DVD Write Option Unavailable.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 11:38am

Dear NightOwl,

have replaced BenQ by LG-RAM-drive (that's what it's called incl. lightscribe which I did not install).
Will tell you later about the desaster concerning Ghost 2003 Roll Eyes

DVD #2:
CDR00001.GHO = 1.048.576kB
CDR00002.GHO = 1.048.576kB
CDR00003.GHO =    235.603kB
In Windows Explorer > click on drive > mounting in Ghost Explorer ok - ONLY CDR00001.GHO works, is ALWAYS the "...00001 ..." in GHost - meaning is normal.

DVD #3:
CDR00001.GHO = 1.048.576kB
CDR00002.GHO = 1.048.576kB
CDR00003.GHO = 1.048.576kB
CDR00004.GHO =    363.846kB

mounting till 0.8% then error "damaged".

Are these the infos you were asking for  Huh

Quote:
use Ghost to save to the HDD--it's the fastest way.  Then, use a burning program to save the image files to DVD later.

Yes, but Ghost restore had errors so far EVEN restoring from HDD! Only *.gho to chose, not *.ghs.

I actually wanted to try NERO for writing.
Quote:
If this is what you plan to do regularly--use the *-split=1494* command (you can specify that in the *Advanced Options/Ghost command line*) to make the image file sizes appropriate for saving to DVD and using the space on the DVD effieciently

"If this is what you plan" - what do I plan  Huh
If you mean writing + splitting why only 1494MB and not e.g 3000 when the estimated size is ~5000 ?

The link points to Ghost 9/10 as far as I see, right  Huh

Do I have to use the commandline in Ghost 2003 or what did you mean by that ? (sorry I'm down & out > read below).

Ghost 2003 manual tells about a bootfloppy to add the GHOST.EXE. All they say is "for drives that are supported by Ghost" reading on "you can create CDs with drives that are NOT supported by Ghost" - no solution found yet. The German manual however is hard to 'follow' (meaning cannot 'follow')  insofar that when it comes to the point where I expect to find the 'how To' > "look page xxx". On page xxx another "look page xxx" and so on. BUT nothing in order + the fact that the German translation reads like something is incomplete!
After printing + trying to get it in order - I'm nuts - no idea what's what.
An English manual would be of no help either because of my poor English knowledge in technical things.
I need a "clear" How-What-&-When-To.  Grin

If it weren't for a 'windows-breakdown' I would not need any DVD at all.

Nero can write bootable DVDs, also from Ghost images. BUT (!) will such an image be restorable with Ghost  Undecided ... or what do I have to add and to do about it  Huh

Ghost floppies:
Would I need the "standard boot floppy"
or "CD/DVD-startfloppy" - on one page they tell that I had to add Ghost.exe and (.... other page!) ... no telling !!!

Now let me tell you about my new LG DVD drive:
Haven't tried Nero yet, hope it will recognize Nero.

Fact is so far:
I tried to create (write) image straight on DVD as test.
Starting from windows interface ghost booted into DOS and told me "no CD/DVD".
That means ghost doesn't recognize my new drive.
Tried it with 1 DVD 16x only - yet.
As attachment the logfile from this procedure (as *.txt).

Then mounting the DVD #2 + #3 with LG drive - works.
Drive is set to DMA etc. Checked all that.

Can you imagine how I feel about that  Angry
To give it a try in DOS with Ghost 2003 I needed a floppy disc - but which - and what to do exactly  Huh
Gheeez I'm really nuts.

Next:
IF I would uninstall Ghost 2003 ... I actually got about 4-5 Ghost uninstallers (Norton removal tools - all different size). Not even the support could tell me which is which (bla bla). HA! got different "Norton removal tools" from the support! Isn't that luvely ...

Question:
How to do a real clean uninstall of Ghost 2003
without having to use "safe mode" ?

THEN how to learn how to handle Ghost 10
?????
Ok, I got a manual that would take me years to read and understand A LITTLE.

I would love to keep Ghost 2003 - used to work  Cry

All I can ask for is: Please help me with your great knowledge and advise me what I should do now.
I'm out of ideas  Embarrassed

henriette *so thankful to having found such a great helper*

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:09pm

Hiyaaaaaaaaaa ...
I GOT IT  Grin

recalled sentence in manual (small) "press CTRL+ALT+DEL once drive is not being recognized by Ghost 2003" [German txt is more than poor translation and 'upside down'- but this my interpretation].
Did that then DVD (same as I used before) compression middle - ghost 2003 started writing ~ 30mts.
Integrity test > "No CD in drive" --> aborted > in DOS pressed "3" = repeat > worked! ~ 20mts.
Both successful see attachments  *happy Duckie*

Little bit edgy but worked. At least this time, let's hope for the best.
Also the afterwards created image to HDD successful.

I still have a question:
I told you that when restoring from HDD Ghost just lets me choose *.GHO. No *.GHS possible.
If that should happen again what and how do I restore images from HDD - please explain this to me one more time to my understanding *begging*

I am so happy now. Ghost did not let me down this time and recognized the new optical drive after all.

henriette  Wink Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 9:35am

@
henriette

Quote:
Hiyaaaaaaaaaa ...
I GOT IT 

Great!

Quote:
recalled sentence in manual (small) "press CTRL+ALT+DEL once drive is not being recognized by Ghost 2003"

*CTRL+ALT+DEL* forces a *warm* (power is not turned off) reboot.  I'd be interested in knowing where in the German manual it talks about doing that if a drive is not being recognized--under what main and sub-section of the manual is that found--I want to see if the same information is discussed in the English version!

Quote:
I still have a question:
I told you that when restoring from HDD Ghost just lets me choose *.GHO. No *.GHS possible.

When you save an image to HDD, the first Ghost file is xxxxx.gho.  If the size of the image exceeds 2 GBs, then you will have additional files--the image is *slit* into 2 GB segments or smaller files--these will be given the *.GHS* extension.  The xxxxx.gho plus the xxxxx.ghs files create a single image *set*.  You can not open the *split* segments independently--all procedures start with the first main *.gho* file!

When you save the image to optical media, you will have only *.gho* segments--but, you still have to start with the first file--you can not open any of the intermediate files of an image set independently.

Quote:
Quote:
use Ghost to save to the HDD--it's the fastest way.  Then, use a burning program to save the image files to DVD later.

Yes, but Ghost restore had errors so far EVEN restoring from HDD! Only *.gho to chose, not *.ghs.

Not being able to *open* the *ghs* files--was that the only *error*--or were there others?!

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 12:32pm

Quote:
*CTRL+ALT+DEL* forces a *warm* (power is not turned off) reboot.

In Ghost 'readme' they literally call it "Cold" start  (Kaltstart), NOT mentioning CTRL+ALT+DEL  In web > ["warm" start = reset].
Whatsoever it worked for me this time.

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing where in the German manual it talks about doing that if a drive is not being recognized--under what main and sub-section of the manual is that found

It is NOT in the main 'Ghost Guide'.
Is in 'Readme.txt"| 31kB | Jan 06, 2004 > titled "Norton Ghost 2003 update 3".
Probably is on install-CD.
Hope you find the English version somewhere. Bet someone has got it. That however doesn't make sure that it's identical (symantec & translations > reminds me of manual for a microwaveoven - know those - lol) Grin
wish I could help you.

restoring from HDD:
Quote:
When you save an image to HDD, the first Ghost file is xxxxx.gho.  If the size of the image exceeds 2 GBs, then you will have additional files--the image is *slit* into 2 GB segments or smaller files--these will be given the *.GHS* extension.  The xxxxx.gho plus the xxxxx.ghs files create a single image *set*.  You can not open the *split* segments independently--all procedures start with the first main *.gho* file!

Yes, I understood this when you told me for the first time.
Thank you so much for your patience  Kiss

I always got 2 segments on HDD (since XP over 2GB). *.gho + *.ghs.

When I start restoring from HDD Ghost interface in windows > ghost just shows me the *.gho-EXTENSION which is then being restored. When finished Ghost reboots into windows showing "image was restored with errors".

So how & when do I
1. get the *.ghs added - if possible at all  Cheesy
2. how do I get Ghost to let me 'access' (!) = show *ghs in "file-extension" where it just says *gho - do you understand my question now ?
3. Once *gho is restored already "with errors"-message - I can hardly try to start restoring just the 2nd segment to be added.

That is - I would do so if Ghost would let me choose the file-EXTENSION which ghost doesn't do  Shocked

Quote:
Not being able to *open* the *ghs* files--was that the only *error*--or were there others?!

just booted into windows (when *gho-restore finished) > "image restored with errors" - me goof did not open the logfile, maybe (maybe!) I would have enciphered + could tell more now.

Quote:
have to start with the first file--you can not open any of the intermediate files of an image set independently.

yesss, that is what I did. Started with the first file *gho.
Then > read above  Angry

I don't have to tell you that I cannot restore another image from HDD 'just so' to finally find out that ghost (or my system ?) *behave* like that every time. Maybe it will work next time (maybe!)  Grin

Now please tell me what's going on there  Cheesy

henriette  Wink

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Ghost2003-Creating Img DVD-Ghost Doesn't Split auto!
Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 11:49pm

@
henriette

Quote:
It is NOT in the main 'Ghost Guide'.
Is in 'Readme.txt"| 31kB | Jan 06, 2004 > titled "Norton Ghost 2003 update 3".

I have that!  Is this the paragraph:

Quote:
CD writer not detected
----------------------
Problem:
Ghost detects the CD writer for the initial operation. The first
task fails, and when you run Ghost the second time, the CD writer
is not detected.
Solution:
When a task fails, perform a cold boot of your computer before
reusing the drive.

That would mean a *power off, and then back on again*--and not a *CTRL+ALT+DEL* warm re-boot (reset)!

This is quite interesting--I worked through a similar problem with my NIC card and attempting to test out using a home network to perform Ghost procedures in DOS.  I spend probably two years trying to figure out why I could not get Ghost to recognize my NIC card.  It turned out to have something to do with how most devices are now *plug-n-play*--and the settings for the device for IRQ assignments and I/O addresses are dynamically assigned.  And, it turns out that the BIOS may assign one set of settings, and then Windows totally ignores those and sets the ones it wants for various devices!

My usual way of re-booting from Windows into DOS is to tell Windows on the close down screen to *Reboot*--that does a *warm* reboot (reset)--and the power stays on!   Well, apparently the BIOS on my three computers, when doing a *warm* reboot, did not reset the settings of the NIC card from the ones that Windows was using--which were different!  So, once in DOS, the system was attempting to access the NIC card using IRQ 4--when it was still set as IRQ 5 from Windows!  But, I inadvertently powered down one day and then booted to DOS (a *cold* reboot)--and that made the NIC card discard the Windows setting, and it was back to IRQ 4 on this reboot--and the NIC card showed up fine in Ghost!

I wonder if this is a similar issue with your optical drives.  They have one setting in Windows, and when you use the Windows Ghost interface to set things up--the system does a *warm* reboot to DOS to perform the Ghost procedure--perhaps DOS is looking for the optical drive with a different set of access settings than what were being used in Windows.  It appears that you used a *CTRL+ALT+DEL* to reset your system--and unlike my BIOS that fails to properly zero the previous Windows settings, your system appears to reset the settings for your optical drive using a *warm*  *CTRL+ALT+DEL* reset, and Ghost finds the drive without any problem!

You could easily test this--next time you perform a Ghost backup to your optical drive--let Ghost close down Windows and begin to reboot to DOS--but, simply press the power button when it first shows that it is beginning to load DOS.  Count to 10 seconds, and then press the power button and allow the system to boot to DOS.  It should complete the Ghost procedure and then take you back to Windows when done.  If you have no problem with Ghost finding the optical drive and writing the image without problems--most likely the problem is in how Window assigns access setting vs how DOS attempts to access the drive.

You might use the same technique when then doing the *Integrity* check--does the *Integrity* check perform successfully if you power off and back on like the above outline?

Quote:
So how & when do I
1. get the *.ghs added - if possible at all 
2. how do I get Ghost to let me 'access' (!) = show *ghs in "file-extension" where it just says *gho - do you understand my question now ?
3. Once *gho is restored already "with errors"-message - I can hardly try to start restoring just the 2nd segment to be added.

That is - I would do so if Ghost would let me choose the file-EXTENSION which ghost doesn't do 

You are misunderstanding how Ghost is working--all Ghost files were used on the restore--i.e. the *.gho* and both of the *.ghs* files where used.  The *.gho* and the two *.ghs* files are part of a single Ghost backup *set*--and all must be and are used when restoring them! 

You're not being allowed to choose the *.ghs* file in the selection screen for restoring your backup because you must start with the *.gho* file--it is the *master* file of the set, and it has data that tells Ghost how many *.ghs* files are associated with that *.gho* file as part of the complete *set*!

So, if the restore completed *with errors*--it's not that the *.ghs* files where not used and restored! 

Hope that helps explain that better!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print