Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost2003-Creating Img DVD-Ghost Doesn't Split auto! (Read 30959 times)
henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Re: Ghost2003-Creating Img DVD-Ghost Doesn't Split auto!
Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 6:23am

Quote:
I have that!  Is this the paragraph:

Quote:
CD writer not detected
----------------------
Problem:
Ghost detects the CD writer for the initial operation. The first
task fails, and when you run Ghost the second time, the CD writer
is not detected.
Solution:
When a task fails, perform a cold boot of your computer before
reusing the drive.

That is it - glad you have it  Grin
(better English than German translation).

Quote:
That would mean a *power off, and then back on again*--and not a *CTRL+ALT+DEL* warm re-boot (reset)!

yes but for me the warm reboot CTRL+ALT+DEL > taskmanager worked. Since it wasn't mentioned in the paragraph I did just that (by 'mistake'!) - the opposite of what was advised.
Maybe if I had relied on the 'paragraph' I would never have succeeded  Cheesy

---> there is also a 'reset' button in front of my PC which I sometimes gotta use when windows freezes e.g.

Each PC is an induvidual and gotta be handled different.

My DONALD has an old board "ASUS A7N8X-X" (serial ATA) Phoenix Award BIOS v6.00PG.

Quote:
It appears that you used a *warm* *CTRL+ALT+DEL*  reset your system... the settings for your optical drive ... , and Ghost finds the drive without any problem!

So it appears  Smiley

Quote:
test this--next time you perform a Ghost backup to your optical drive--let Ghost close down Windows and begin to reboot to DOS--THEN simply press the power button when it first shows that it is beginning to load DOS
Count to 10 seconds, THEN press the power button and allow the system to boot to DOS.

It should complete the Ghost procedure and then take you back to Windows when done.  If you have no problem with Ghost finding the optical drive and writing the image without problems--most likely the problem is in how Window assigns access setting vs how DOS attempts to access the drive.

You might use the same technique when then doing the *Integrity* check

Great! I will try that  Wink

Quote:
does the *Integrity* check perform successfully if you power off and back on like the above outline?

I have to try that first  Wink

Quote:
I inadvertently (= unintensionally) powered down one day and then booted to DOS (a *cold* reboot)--and that made the NIC card discard the Windows setting, and it was back to IRQ 4 on this reboot--and the NIC card showed up fine in Ghost!

There you see how long it may take till you do something unexpected - and you got it  Wink --> "the midnight ghost booooooooo!"  Grin

Quote:
You are misunderstanding how Ghost is working

I admit  Embarrassed

Quote:
all Ghost files were used on the restore--i.e. the *.gho* and both of the *.ghs* files were used.  The *.gho* and the two *.ghs* files are part of a single Ghost backup *set*--and all must be and are used when restoring them! 

You're not being allowed to choose the *.ghs* file in the selection screen for restoring your backup because you must start with the *.gho* file--it is the *master* file of the set, and it has data that tells Ghost how many *.ghs* files are associated with that *.gho* file as part of the complete *set*!

So, if the restore completed *with errors*--it's not that the *.ghs* files were not used and restored! 

NOW I understand thanks to your detailed description - so the *.ghs is always being 'included' (to my better understanding)  Smiley Smiley Smiley  Smiley

Thank you ever so much for helping me to understand.
My question marks have turned into Smiley --> I got it.
I will try all that you told me.

henriette  Kiss

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 12:00pm

@NightOwl
was a heck of a fumble:

1. creating image to DVD
to let ghost recognize my drive, power off doesn't work on my PC here. Ghost booted into DOS - did not stop him then.
Surprisingly optical drive was recognized and image written successfully this time  Grin

2. integrity test of DVD image
see also 2 attachments = logfiles from integrity test only.

pressed power off button on PC - didn't turn power off, so no way to 'count to 10' > ghost booted into DOS showing me "no CD in drive" > pressed '3' to repeat > same > let boot into windows.
Tried 'reset' button on PC ... tried CTRL+ALT+DEL ... tried 4 times (quick) power off button in a row >  ....

note: triedwith DVD in drive - took DVD out of drive - tried with ghost window open - tried within windows .....

Finally ghost recognized optical drive and started integrity test > successful  Cheesy

No idea why power off button does not work at all in this case.

Problem is to find the right procedure at the very instant.

Might have been 4x press power off button (quickly in a row) that finally did it - this time  Roll Eyes

I don't mind to work & fumble if I get 'success' after all.

optical drive ran at full speed (SOUNDWISE!).

If a CD/DVD is damaged I get a message in 'events', there was none this time.
That's what kept me trying before giving up  Wink

Just wanted to let you know this.
henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 10:54pm

@
henriette

Well, still looks like Ghost is having a problem consistently recognizing your optical drive using its (Ghost's) built-in optical drive driver--you know Ghost is using its built-in driver when a.  you see your optical drive preceded by the *@CD...your drive description*, and b.  your optical drive is not being assigned a DOS drive letter when booted to DOS.

Quote:
1. creating image to DVD
to let ghost recognize my drive, power off doesn't work on my PC here

Sometimes, you have to press and hold the power button down for 5-10 seconds before the system powers down--you might try that to see if it will eventually power off!

Based on your trials so far--looks like Ghost is more successful in creating and writing the Ghost image to optical media than it is in doing an integrity check.  An integrity check is supposed to be a *dummy* restore procedure that performs the restore without actually writing to the HDD!  So, if the integrity check is failing, you may also have a problem restoring because of the same failures. 

Ghost can also access you optical drives using the DOS optical drive drivers instead of the built-in Ghost optical drivers.  You might want to test to see if you are more successful by using a DOS boot disk that loads the DOS optical drivers rather than the Windows Ghost interface that uses the Ghost built-in optical drivers to do an integrity check.

(Note:  only Ghost's built-in drivers are able to *write* to optical media--the DOS optical drivers only allow *reading* from the optical drives--not writing!)

To test that, you would open the Ghost Boot Wizard that's found under the Ghost Utilities category.  Once you click on the Boot Wizard, you would select the bottom option (in the English version at least)--*CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost*.  Follow the steps.  You will need two floppy disks for this boot *set*--the first one has the DOS boot files, and the second one will have the DOS *ghost.exe* program on it.  The boot files take up too much space, and so the *ghost.exe* can not fit on the same disk as the boot files.

Once you have created the boot set, you would shut down your system.  Put the first boot floppy in the drive and restart the system (you may have to set your system (in the BIOS) to boot from the floppy disk first before your HDD--or you might be able to bring up a list of boot options by pressing F-8 just after the initial POST (beep) of the system, but before the system begins loading the boot files).  After the boot files have been read and loaded, you will be asked for the second floppy disk that will then load DOS Ghost.

At this point, put one of your Ghost created DVD in the drive and allow it to spin up.  In Ghost, select the menu item *Local*, then *Check*, and finally *Image File*.

In the next screen select from the drop-down menu box along the top that says *Look in:    * the DOS drive letter that is assigned to your DVD optical drive.  You should then be able to select the first image file.  Select that file and complete the steps to performing the integrity test.

Does Ghost recognize your optical drive using the DOS drivers (instead of the Ghost optical drivers that use *@CD.....*) that assign a DOS letter to your optical drives?

Is the Integrity test completed successfully?

Because this is all done in DOS and the Windows Ghost interface is not used--there will be no *Logfile* back in Windows for this procedure--just the final report in Ghost saying that the procedure completed successfully.

When the test is done--exit from Ghost, remove the floppy disk and press the *reset* button to boot back to Windows.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 9:18am

NightOwl - my hero  Smiley

Created 'CD/DVD Startup Disk-set' with Ghost. 
(had formatted floppies right before - did not boot. Then read manual where it states that floppies MUST be formatted with ghost while creating the floppies - so I did, and it worked).

--> 1st floppy: most drivers "failed" .. (adaptec +++++) - asking myself if would work since I got 'PC-DOS' ---> asking for 2nd floppy loading 'ghost.exe" > DOS window showed up > in drop-down menu DOS DVD-drive letter is D:\ (instead of K:\ in windows) > ghost integrity test 'CDR00001.GHO + CDR00002.GHO + CDR00003.GHO' ---> "procedure completed successfully"  Smiley

So your above questions concerning integrity test have been  answered  Smiley

Quote:
henriette wrote:
creating image to DVD
to let ghost recognize my drive, power off doesn't work on my PC here
NightOwl wrote:
Sometimes, you have to press and hold the power button down for 5-10 seconds before the system powers down--you might try that to see if it will eventually power off!

THAT might do the trick - hold down for 5-10 seconds  Wink

What about restoring from DVD   Huh
Same procedure with the above floppies AND/OR press & hold power button down for 5-10 seconds till system powers off  Huh

Please forgive me for asking after you explained the what-when-how soooooooooo detailed and in a way I could not fail to understand - you're a genius  Kiss

What in the world would I do without you  Smiley
henriette *happy Duckie*

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 1:26pm

@
henriette

Ah...good results!

Quote:
1st floppy: most drivers "failed" .. (adaptec +++++)

That's normal.  It's a *universal* boot disk with several optical drive drivers being loaded--if they do not find a compatible controller and/or optical drive--it will give a failure notice.

Quote:
What about restoring from DVD   

Same procedure with the above floppies AND/OR press & hold power button down for 5-10 seconds till system powers off 

Well, you will have to see if the *hold power button down* procedure works consistently!  If not, then using the boot floppys looks like the better way to go--if the Integrity test works without errors--usually that means the actual restore will work the same!

As a possible additional test--when you boot from the above floppy disks--when you wish to *read* a Ghost file--the optical drive will be listed in the *source* drop down box with the *D:* drive letter.  But, if you tell Ghost you want to *create* a Ghost image, i.e. *Local > Disk > To Image* (or *Local > Partition > To Image*), you may still find your optical drive listed under the *destination* drop down box with the *@CD....*--meaning Ghost is recognizing your optical writer as a valid destination using its built-in driver for writing to optical media--give it a try and see if that works!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #20 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 6:04am

henriette wrote:
Quote:
1st floppy: most drivers "failed"

NightOwl wrote:
Quote:
That's normal.  It's a *universal* boot disk with several optical drive drivers being loaded ...

Thought so myself, just was too quick that I was afraid none was loaded except 'mouse driver' Grin

Quote:
Ah...good results!

oh yes, all went well  Wink

RESTORING from DVD:
Quote:
you will have to see if the *hold power button down* procedure works consistently!  If not, then using the boot floppys looks like the better way to go--if the Integrity test works without errors--usually that means the actual restore will work the same!

I will try first *hold power button down* procedure, since I haven't tried that - am 'keen' on knowing if works  Wink

If not, I will use the floppies.

Quote:
possible additional test:
when you boot from the floppy disks--when you wish to *read* a Ghost file--the optical drive will be listed in the *source* drop down box with the *D:* drive letter.  But, if you tell Ghost you want to *create* a Ghost image, i.e. *Local > Disk > To Image* (or *Local > Partition > To Image*), you may still find your optical drive listed under the *destination* drop down box with the *@CD....* Ghost is recognizing your optical writer as a valid destination using its built-in driver for writing to optical media--give it a try and see if that works!

Will try that asap. May take a wee while cause I won't be home for a few days.
Will let you know how it worked.

henriette Smiley

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #21 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 9:39am

@NightOwl

quite a lot to tell:

1. Yesterday created image to HDD using floppies. Create + check successful   Grin

2. a. tried to create image to DVD using floppies.
Did not work
> DOS-mouse-arrow flickered - mouse-arrow 'irritated'
> outside of screen several arrows, wasn't able to catch mouse. Worked at beginning though.
Could it be that I was in 'there' for too long - thinking what to do ...  then mouse-driver mixed up somehow Huh

note: exit ghost > let floppies load again > same with mouse when waited for too long ...

b. Only optical CD-drive was listed in drop-down
NOT DVD-drive !

3. Created image to DVD starting in ghost interface
> let ghost begin to reboot into DOS > pressed 'power off'-button and held for 5 seconds > PC powered off > waited for 10 seconds > PC on > ghost booted into DOS > recognized optical DVD-drive + was writing image successfully  Grin

Thanks to your 'power off' trick  Smiley

note: power off worked twice. This could not be called "to work consistently" could it  Huh

4. Integrity check DVD-image > same way as above with power off > successful  Grin

5. Today tried several things:
a. press 'F8' when initial beep to see if able to choose boot options >
does not work

b. Trying if restoring + check both from HDD and DVD works:
Set floppy 1st in BIOS > put floppy in drive > reboot > let both floppies load > put DVD in drive
> local -> check -> image file ---
NO optical DRIVE listed
in drop down exept floppy drive A:\ + both HDDs!
No idea what happened, cause worked last time.
What did I do wrong ?
  Huh

What do I have to choose in DOS to get 1. HDD 2. DVD- restore,
meaning: local > disc or partition > from image (both?)  Huh Roll Eyes

note: tried all today, no optical DVD-drive listed - in no case.

c.
> local -> partition -> from image --- 2nd HDD was shown in drop down, meaning restoring from HDD would have worked this way.

So I asked myself this a.m.: "why did I create image to HDD with floppies ? It used to work in ghost windows interface (start) as well.
So what is the difference (security) between the 2 procedures ?"
"Also: why 'restored with errors' when restoring image from HDD starting in ghost windows interface - what's the difference
when restoring with floppies - why are there no errors in restoring (or could there be errors as well) ?"

Since I do create every image twice > both to HDD and to DVD. To make it easier for me concerning different procedures (power off + floppies) what is your recommendation ?

° For CREATING (both to HDD and to DVD) use ghost windows interface - DVD with power off method  Huh

° For INTEGRITY CHECK DVD-image use power off method - HDD by just ghost interface  Huh

° For RESTORING from HDD GENERALLY (!) only with floppies >>>
won't work for DVD
as mentioned above.

So WHAT WHEN and HOW - after all I told you now.

Will you please be kind enough to help me again ....
henriette  Undecided

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #22 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 9:50am

@
henriette

Sorry, I'm a little slow responding--been busy recently....

Quote:
2. a. tried to create image to DVD using floppies.
Did not work > DOS-mouse-arrow flickered - mouse-arrow 'irritated'

At what point does that happen?  You don't seem to have the problem when you did test #1 above!!!?

Quote:
Could it be that I was in 'there' for too long - thinking what to do ...  then mouse-driver mixed up somehow

That why my question above--have you clicked on something in addition to what you did in test #1?  There really shouldn't be a mouse problem unless there's some sort of software conflict.  Just out of curiosity, are you powering down before booting from the floppies?  That same issue with your optical drives may be occuring even with the floppies--so try that also!

Does your floppy boot disks load *himem.sys*--open your *config.sys* file using Notepad--is there a line that loads that *himem.sys*?  How about *emm386.exe*?  These are memory managers for DOS and are sometimes required to keep DOS programs from *stepping on each other*!

Quote:
b. Only optical CD-drive was listed in drop-down NOT DVD-drive !

How many partitions and drives are listed in that drop-down menu?  And, is the optical CD drive listed at the top of the list--or at the bottom?  And is it listed with a DOS drive letter?  Your CD drive is a ROM only--not an optical writer--correct?

Ghost 2003 had a *bug* in that drop-down menu--it will list about 6-7 items, but the slider bar on the right side doesn't work!  You have to highlight one of the items in the box and then use the *Down or Up Arrow Keys* on the keyboard to scroll to any items that are below the *standard* listing of items if you have more than fit in that drop-down menu.

Quote:
3. Created image to DVD starting in ghost interface

note: power off worked twice. This could not be called "to work consistently" could it 

Until you experience a *failure* using this technique--I would call it *consistent*!

Quote:
5. Today tried several things:
a. press 'F8' when initial beep to see if able to choose boot options > does not work.

Not all systems bring up a *boot menu* during the initial startup by pressing the F8 key.  But, you may have to use a different *F* key for your particular system!  I've seen F11 and F12 mentioned before! Or, you may have to set the boot order in the BIOS--and that may be your only option.

Quote:
b. Trying if restoring + check both from HDD and DVD works:
Set floppy 1st in BIOS > put floppy in drive > reboot > let both floppies load > put DVD in drive
> local -> check -> image file --- NO optical DRIVE listed in drop down exept floppy drive A:\ + both HDDs!
No idea what happened, cause worked last time. What did I do wrong ?

See my comment about the *bug* in Ghost 2003's menu box--does that solve that issue?

Quote:
So I asked myself this a.m.: "why did I create image to HDD with floppies ? It used to work in ghost windows interface (start) as well.
So what is the difference (security) between the 2 procedures ?

The actual image creation process is identical!  You just have the setup process take place with a Windows interface in between Windows and DOS with that Windows interface, and once in DOS, the image creation occurs *automatically* because the Windows interface has a *command line* that tells Ghost what to do based on what you set up in the Windows interface.

Quote:
"Also: why 'restored with errors' when restoring image from HDD starting in ghost windows interface - what's the difference
when restoring with floppies - why are there no errors in restoring (or could there be errors as well) ?"

Without a specific *error message* that tells us what error is occurring--I can't answer that--but, as you have reported--everything so far seems to work okay--I guess I'd use the procedure that doesn't report errors to make myself feel better about the operation  Cheesy !

Quote:
Since I do create every image twice > both to HDD and to DVD. To make it easier for me concerning different procedures (power off + floppies) what is your recommendation ?

Here's a vague answer--whatever works *best* on your system reliably and consistently!  Wink

Being able to boot from the floppy disks so you can restore your image either from your HDD or from your optical drive is a good (and necessary) option if your OS HDD were to *crash and burn*--you will not be able to use the Windows Ghost interface if Windows can not be booted!

So, let me know if some of the items above resolves any of those issues you have raised!

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 3:51am

Hiya NightOwl  Smiley

extremely good news from the German "front" (thanks to your post!):

Set BIOS floppy 1st (will always set BIOS when using floppies - trying different "Fxxs" ... might end up in *PC-hell* LOL).

Put floppy in drive > POWER PC DOWN [instead of just rebooting which I did before !!!] > wait 10 seconds > PC ON > let boot from floppies & load (1+2).

NOTE:
Both with HDD and DVD in all cases > just click INTO (!) drop down box > every click will show next drive/partition [both HDDs + all partitions + drives are listed] - no need to click drop down arrow at all!].

Thanks for telling me about the bug  Smiley

1. Trying to create to / check / restore from
HDD
:

create: local > partition > to image --> works (abort)

check: local > check > imagefile --> checking ~ 30 seconds > "check successful"

restore: local > partition > from image --> works (abort)

2. Trying to create to / check / restore from
 DVD
:

create: local > now DVD in drive > wait for ~ 5 sec to spin up
> partition > to image --> "@CD-R2 blabla = CDR00001.GHO (since already image on DVD) ---> works (abort)

check: local > check > imagefile --> "D:[GHOST_001]CD-ROM-Drive" = CDR00001(+2+3 - shown in statusline during check).GHO
<--
doubleclick --> is checking ~ 18 mts > successful

restore: local > partition > from image --> "D:[GHOST_001]CD-ROM-Drive" = CDR00001.GHO --> works (abort)

Take DVD out of drive > take floppy out > reset > BIOS settings to normal.

As you see all went fine.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

I will use floppies for checking and restoring from now on with power off method  Cool

Just creating to HDD starting in ghost windows interface and creating to + checking DVD with power Off method - should be ok.  Wink

After floppies had loaded + my trying in DOS > took floppy out of drive > reset > back to windows > tried to open "config.sys" - "you can't open cause used by system blabla" > also was 0kB = empty - probably cuz of reset  - NO me goof, must have been cuz I took floppy out of drive ... how to do it then - MUST boot into windows to open config.sys with wordpad  - just leave floppy in drive but reset anyway (without reset wouldn't know what command to write in DOS - GHOST is waiting for a command there ..  Huh

After the good results above think I don't need to look for "himem.sys" + "emm386.exe" in "config.sys" (if loaded).
Wouldn't know when to open to get access + when datas in there ....   Roll Eyes

Could not reproduce mouse-arrow-flickering.

P.S.: Quote:
Your CD drive is a ROM only--not an optical writer--correct?

No my DVD drive is supporting ROM, but is an optical drive.
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=20651&PageId=0

henriette is a very happy Duckie  Grin

Here's to my hero NightOwl  Smiley  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 7:58am

@NightOwl

Actually intended 3 (threeeee) minutes before finish to report a sensational success ... yapp ... then error  Grin

created new image to HDD + DVD using floppies.

Floppy in drive > power down > wait 10 secs > PC on > let boot from floppy.

NOTE:
Both image to HDD and to DVD with compression "middle" ! estimated size (shown in statusline in DOS while creating) = 3996MB.

Create + check HDD successful.
Create DVD successful.

Check DVD using floppies:

worked well till 3:xx minutes before finish > after jumped to "CDR00003.GHO" [1+2 already checked as ok] --> file "tea timer.exe" (is part of Spybot S&D - deaktivated in Windows - anyway there - won't make any difference to DOS)
> ERROR > GHOSTERR.txt "can't read, insert floppy" .... WHICH Floppy ????? [other floppy ? meaning: floppy #2 out of drive & other floppy in - what floppy ? - or floppy#2 out + DVD out + reset + start whole procedure (check) again with other floppy once error message ?] > now mouse arrow flickered, couldn't grab it > DVD out of drive > floppy out > reset.

Back in Windows started 2nd check in ghost windows interface (to get logfile) > DVD in drive > power down > hold button for 10 sec > PC on > started check >
checking time left ~ 5 mts > message "splitted (!) [1] ready (1660) Ghost must open next part of image, insert next DVD"
In statusline it read: "splitted file not valid [522]" (in German)

Before creating image to DVD ghost asked:

° "create bootable floppy to CD/DVD ?" > clicked "NO".
should I have clicked "YES"  Huh

° "continue backup to CD/DVD ?" > clicked "YES"

° "Image will be splitted either on 6-8 CDs or on 1 DVD" > clicked "YES" [ONE DVD!]

How come ghost splitted ???????

Ghost did NOT ask for 2nd DVD! ---> Create was successful !

As attachment a *.txtfile = the logfile that was created when I did the 2nd check starting in ghost windows interface (in order to GET a logfile).
Hope my translations in there are ok.

Before trying again without compression (using up so many DVDs!):
WILL ghost automatically split when I create image again using floppies in DOS - or do have to tell ghost so ?
IF I have to write anything in commandline - what exactly ?

Anyway WHY should the image be splitted - size will fit onto ONE DVD once compressed "middle".

What went wrong again  Huh

henriette  Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #25 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 9:43am

@
henriette

Quote:
> ERROR > GHOSTERR.txt "can't read, insert floppy" .... WHICH Floppy ????? [other floppy ? meaning: floppy #2 out of drive & other floppy in - what floppy ? - or floppy#2 out + DVD out + reset + start whole procedure (check) again with other floppy once error message ?] > now mouse arrow flickered, couldn't grab it > DVD out of drive > floppy out > reset

When you create the boot floppy set, the Boot Wizard usually put the DOS *autoexex.bat* on both floppies--in DOS, programs refer back to that sometimes to complete the *batch file* process.  So, it should have been either floppy--but obviously something went wrong somewhere!  I would try both floppies--usually the floppy #2 is in the drive--pop it out and put the other in and press *enter*--and if that doesn't solve the error state, then you have to reboot.

Quote:
° "create bootable floppy to CD/DVD ?" > clicked "NO".
should I have clicked "YES"

Only if you wanted your DVD to be bootable--but, with a two floppy boot disc you will have to make other arrangements for this to work--because Ghost can only put up to 1.44 MB in the hidden boot sector of a bootable optical disc--so the contents of the second floppy will not fit!  If you want to know how to make this work, I can help--but don't have time here today to explain it.

Quote:
° "Image will be splitted either on 6-8 CDs or on 1 DVD" > clicked "YES" [ONE DVD!]

There's two things that happen when creating a Ghost image--*splitting* and *spanning*--and those terms get misused even by Symantec's technical writers!  Ghost 2003 has the DOS files size limitation of a max of 2 GB.  If your data is larger than 2 GB, then Ghost has to *split* the file into two or more files of 2 GB or less.

If the Ghost files are a greater size than will fit on the storage media--CD (approx. 700 MB)or DVD (approx. just under 5 GB), then Ghost must *span* the image over multiple discs.

Quote:
WILL ghost automatically split when I create image again using floppies in DOS - or do have to tell ghost so ?

Yes--and you will not have any control--Ghost's ability to write to optical media takes control and you can not change how Ghost will proceed!

Quote:
What went wrong again 

Sounds like there was a *glitch* in the original writing process to the DVD--things happen!  That's why it's important to do the Integrity test--especially on optical discs (they tend to have more *glitches*)--because sometimes everything seems to have gone okay--but there's actually a problem that was not detected by the writing process to the optical media--so it reports *success* incorrectly!

I'm going to be out of town until next week and without computer access--so if you post a question--that's why I'm not able to answer right away!

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #26 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 11:13am

@NightOwl

should I try again with compression or without compression -
there was no error message that compression was the cause. Had it once that compression caused error, got message "decompression error -3" or something. Not this time.

Reason I'm asking is that I want to try WITH compression as long as possible to save DVDs!

Well - since you will be away I'll try with compression.

Will create, check, restore GENERALLY using floppies from now on.

Ghost is working very accurate in DOS
   Smiley

Can create + check ++ all "in a row" while still remaining in DOS. So that's really great - just set BIOS - that's it  Wink
(That was part of what I wanted to tell you as "report a sensational success")  Grin

"GHOSTERR.txt" > insert floppy:
Quote:
So, it should have been either floppy--but obviously something went wrong somewhere!  I would try both floppies--usually the floppy #2 is in the drive--pop it out and put the other in and press *enter*--and if that doesn't solve the error state, then you have to reboot.

Will try that if I get error again.

henriette wrote:
Quote:
"create bootable floppy to CD/DVD ?" > clicked "NO". Should I have clicked "YES" ?

Quote:
only if you wanted your DVD to be bootable--but, with a two floppy boot disc you will have to make other arrangements for this to work--because ...

Well I thought I'd have a bootable DVD - if I create image using ghost windows interface the DVD is bootable  Shocked
So are you telling me that by using floppies creating image to DVD -- the DVD is NOT bootable - (sorry for asking twice now)  Huh Huh
But so what. As long as my BIOS works (LOL) I can use the floppies for restoring as I intend to do anyway  Grin

Splitting / spanning:
Quote:
when creating a Ghost image--*splitting* and *spanning*--and those terms get misused even by Symantec's technical writers!  Ghost 2003 has the DOS files size limitation of a max of 2 GB.  If your data is larger than 2 GB, then Ghost has to *split* the file into two or more files of 2 GB or less.

yess, and most of all in Symantec's German translation  Grin
I do understand the 2GB limitation.

Quote:
If the Ghost files are a greater size than will fit on the storage media--DVD (approx. just under 5 GB), then Ghost must *span* the image over multiple discs.

Tell me if I am wrong:
*span* > e.g are the "CDR00001 + CDR00002 + CDR00003" on DVD Huh

Auto-split:
Quote:
Yes--and you will not have any control--Ghost's ability to write to optical media takes control and you can not change how Ghost will proceed!

That is comfortable for me - IF ghost does it right - nuttin to do for me Grin

Quote:
Sounds like there was a *glitch* in the original writing process to the DVD--things happen!  a problem that was not detected by the writing process to the optical media--so it reports *success* incorrectly!

aaaah - so that's it!  Cool

Thanks again for your excellent help and your quick respond.
Wishing you all the best - and me, too  Grin

Will go trying creating DVD image now Wink

Btw: I do love "my" ghost - always did. Many users avoid Ghost using other software. One has just to learn how to handle ghost. That is not easy. If I hadn't found you great helper with your endless patience - I would be lost.

henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #27 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 6:47am

@NightOwl

good news  Smiley Smiley Smiley

2nd try create image to DVD (used exactly same brand) - same procedure using floppies in DOS.

Create: compression "middle" > successful  Cool

Check:  total size of image 3.9GB > started with 'CDR00001.gho' > changed to 'CDR0002.gho' at 1500MB ~ 39% > changed to 'CDR00003.gho' at 3000MB ~ 77% --> finally SUCCESS  Cool

note: was just curious about the %age when changed. That's why mentioned (not that easy for 2 eyes to watch %age, written size + in statusline reads 'CDR00001 + 2 +3 (.gho)')  Grin

So image _n_ is both on HDD and on DVD by now  Wink

Happy Duckie henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #28 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 8:58am

@
henriette

Quote:
Ghost is working very accurate in DOS

DOS is Ghost's original *native* OS--the Windows interface was added much later and has always been a little unreliable at times.

Quote:
So are you telling me that by using floppies creating image to DVD -- the DVD is NOT bootable

No--the DVD will be bootable!  But, it will have only the boot files from the first boot floppy--Ghost can only place up to 1.44 MB (floppy disk size) into the hidden boot sector of an optical disc.  So in a two floppy boot set, the second floppy's content will not be on the optical disc--that means *ghost.exe* will not be available!

As I said previously, you can make adjustments to the boot files and how you start Ghost so that you can work around that issue--if you want to do that, we can go through the needed steps to get you there.

Quote:
Can create + check ++ all "in a row" while still remaining in DOS. So that's really great - just set BIOS - that's it

I think you said you do not have a *F* function key that will bring up a boot option menu during boot.  But you could try this:  in the BIOS set the floppy drive as 1st boot device, the optical drive as second, and the HDD as third boot device and save those changes.

Now when you boot, if you do not have a floppy boot disk or bootable optical disc in the drives, the system will check and simply move onto the next device until it gets to the HDD and boots normally.  That way, you do not have to change the BIOS boot order each time you want to use Ghost!

You simply put your boot floppy in and now the system will boot from it.  Or, leave the boot floppy out, and put your bootable optical disc in and now the system will by-pass the floppy drive and boot from the optical disc.

On most systems that I have worked on--that setup works great!  But, on one system--if I put the optical drive into the BIOS's boot priority setup like described--the system would stop and *think* for a *long time* about booting from its optical devices when there was no bootable optical disc inserted, before moving onto the HDD to boot from--30 or 40 seconds!  But, that system has an F-function key (F8) to bring up the boot devices--so I just manually bring that up and select the optical drive whenever I use it--and I left the optical drive out of the boot priority in the BIOS so it boots faster!  But, I still have the floppy drive set as first boot device in case I'm simply booting from a floppy disk.

Quote:
Tell me if I am wrong:
*span* > e.g are the "CDR00001 + CDR00002 + CDR00003" on DVD

If those files are on a single optical disc (i.e. DVD), then I would call that an image file set that is *split* into three files.  Now, if the image file set had more data than will fit on a single DVD, then Ghost must *span* the image file set to a second optical disc.  So, to me, spanning means having to place additional files of an image file set onto *additional* media from which you started--i.e. a second optical disc, or it could be a second partition on a HDD if you run out of room on the first starting partition for saving that Ghost image set to!

Quote:
So image _n_ is both on HDD and on DVD by now

Sounds like you are *in command* of Ghost now!

Don't be a stanger!  We discuss all sorts of things here!  So come visit on a regular basis!

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #29 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 2:05pm

@NightOwl  Grin

JUST thought of you and wanted to post when I detected that you had also posted  Smiley

Quote:
DOS is Ghost's original *native* OS

Yes, had Ghost 5.1 (?) or so before ghost 2003, worked only in DOS.

Quote:
DVD will be bootable ... BUT ... in a two floppy boot set, the second floppy's content will not be on the optical disc--that means *ghost.exe* will not be available!

meaning that image with a single DVD is bootable - not so when  spanned to two DVDs - how can the single DVD be bootable without "ghost.exe"  Huh
(sorry, still hard in understanding - thought the "ghost.exe" was needed to make a DVD bootable).

Quote:
make adjustments to the boot files and how you start Ghost so that you can work around that issue--if you want to do that, we can go through the needed steps to get you there.

I don't think that's necessary - do you  Huh
As long as my DOS works I wouldn't have to worry.
If my DOS doesn't work anymore for some tragical reason  Shocked
then bootable media wouln't work anymore anyway.
So what is your opinion to this   Roll Eyes

Boot devices:
Quote:
in the BIOS set the floppy drive as 1st boot device ....

Had this idea, too - have to set HDD-O as first cause System boots faster, that's the point.  Roll Eyes

Just for images (with floppies) I set BIOS different.

That's doesn't matter to me thinking of the long time that an image takes to create to HDD + DVD and check.

Split and span:
You are really most patient with me explaining so detailed.
My printed "Ghost NightOwl book" won't fit in 1 folder anymore  Grin .... and I'm learning and reading.

Quote:
Sounds like you are *in command* of Ghost now!

Hehe, now here my report I wanted to post:

Today ~ 3hrs ago:
Successfully created + checked new image in DOS both to HDD and to DVD using floppies. No errors and all in a row - success, success ...  Wink

It may be of interest that after creating image to DVD - when tray of optical drive opens auto - I waited for some minutes to let DVD cool down a bit, then closed tray again for integrity check - waiting again before started.

My experience in writing audio-CDs showed me that letting cool down before playing makes a real difference in sound.

Might help with images as well insofar as a just written CD/DVD should not be "touched" for a while since extremely sensitive. So it MIGHT avoid possible reading-errors IMHO.

At least I take my time and care for good results.

In DOS Ghost works really accurate.

This report also for users who may have experienced problems, too.

This was made possible by the help and endless patience of NightOwl - the *Ghost-hero*  Smiley
henriette  Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print