Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 reports new system drive as invalid after restore (Read 14386 times)
STL
Dude

Ghost 12 suxs!

St. Louis, MO

Ghost 12 reports new system drive as invalid after restore
Jun 24th, 2009 at 3:43pm

My system drive has been acting flaky, so I bought a new drive to replace it.  I used a CD to run Ghost to restore my system drive.  I have done it every way possible (with the new drive having a partition and with it not) and with and without all the options (like include original disk image, include MBR, etc.) to no avail.  I even tried copying the old system drive since it's still currently working.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Ghost -- and updated to the lastest version too.  Nothing fixes the problem! 

After the restore, the new system drive seems fine, BUT when I open Ghost 12.0 my C: drive (which is my system drive) shows Disabled.  If I try to enable it I get the following error msg:
--Info 6C8F1C25: Cannot enable the backup job. 
--Cannot enable the job because it contains invalid drives.
If I try to Define New Backup (on drive C:) I get an error message saying, "Cannot retrieve backup job properties". 

So basically Ghost 12.0 is now worthless when it comes to a system drive backup tool.   Angry  I've search all of the web -- including Norton's own website -- and no one seems to have an answer for this one.  With this kind of "service" this might be my last Norton product. 

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 12 reports new system drive as invalid after restore
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 3:54pm

STL, it may be an obvious suggestion, but have you tried to uninstall (using the Norton Removal Tool) and reinstall the NG12 application?

Other than the NG12 issue that you described, the restored system is working properly?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

STL
Dude

Ghost 12 suxs!

St. Louis, MO

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 5:07pm

I am not familiar with the Norton Removal Tool -- I used the install CD for Ghost 12 to uninstall then reinstall. 

I haven't done much with the system yet, but so far it seems to work fine.  Any ideas of things I can try that might find problem (if they are present) more quickly?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 5:28pm

IP Logged

STL
Dude

Ghost 12 suxs!

St. Louis, MO

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 5:42pm

I used that to uninstall then let it shut down, but it has been stuck on the "Windows is shutting down..." screen for several minutes now.  Not sure how long I should give it before I pull the plug?

IP Logged

STL
Dude

Ghost 12 suxs!

St. Louis, MO

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:15pm

FYI, I ended up forcing a power down holding in the power button.  Then I restarted the PC and reinstalled Ghost 12 from the original CD.  Then I immediately did a LiveUpate.  It ended with the following error message:
LU1801: LiveUpdate was canceled. You should run LiveUpdate again later to retrieve any available updates
The error also provided a link:
http://service1.symantec.com/support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2003100811210713?OpenD....
I followed the steps and rebooted then ran LiveUpdate again -- which this time told me everything was already installed and up to date.  Huh

I then tried to run Ghost and now I get the same error message as above (when I try to define a new backup) for both my C: drive (which is my system drive and recently restored) and my D: drive (which is data).   Angry  WOW, I cannot believe how horrible this Norton application is!!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:20pm

@
STL

In one of the Norton forums, Live Update gets the blame for several issues. I suggest uninstalling etc again and reinstall but don't use Live Update.

IP Logged

STL
Dude

Ghost 12 suxs!

St. Louis, MO

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:27pm

I ran just ran SymKBFix, but as I expected it had no effect on my situation.  Sad

Also, I have been turning my my virus software on-access scans just to be safe -- not that it's helped or anything.

Brian,
I'll try that.  So are you suggesting I just run with the on-the-install-CD version or should I update via some other method (that I am not aware of)?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:39pm

Just run it without the update for the time being. If it works OK, create an image prior to a Live Update in a few weeks. Norton may have a better Live Update then. You can restore the image if Live Update fails.

IP Logged

STL
Dude

Ghost 12 suxs!

St. Louis, MO

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:48pm

@
Brian
I tried that but again no change in my issue. 

On the page where I "Select drive or drives to backup" both my C: and D: drives have a symbol next to them that is a red circle with a white X inside.  Both drives worked fine before system restore.  The D: one even appeared to work after the system restore -- until I totally removed and reinstalled Ghost.  If I put my old system drive back in (which at the moment seems to still be working) then Norton works just fine with both drives. 

I am completely confused -- and extremely disappointed in the quality of software from Norton.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:54pm

STL wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:48pm:
I am completely confused 

Same here. Ghost 12 works fine on your old HD. You restored an image of the old HD to a new HD and Ghost 12 no longer works fine. Is that correct?

Are both HDs in the computer?

IP Logged

STL
Dude

Ghost 12 suxs!

St. Louis, MO

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:07pm

Yes, after the restore Ghost stops working with the newly restored drive.  Reinstalls of Ghost them make both the newly installed C: drive and the existing D: drive stop working.

Yes, all drives are in the Dell 8400.  The C: drive is a new WD Caviar Black 1TB -- but only the first 74GB are formatted at the moment (so it's short stroked for the system).  The D: drive is two Seagate 7200.10 320GB drives in a RAID 0.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:16pm

OK. So the old HD is not in the computer. Were they ever in the computer together? I'm just clutching at straws.

IP Logged

STL
Dude

Ghost 12 suxs!

St. Louis, MO

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:45am

I'm sure at one time there were both in the computer -- like when I first formatted the new drive.  Also, when I did the Copy Drive they were both in the PC at the same time too. 

That said, the last time I did the restore they were not.  I removed the partition (from the Copy Drive) with the XP install disk and did the restore using the Ghost CD -- so the old and new drives were never hooked up at the same time.

BTW, I've started a thread on the Norton forums too (but so far no replies).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:21pm

That's a good forum. I hope someone knows the answer.

The following idea keeps popping into my mind. I don't know if it will work but it should do no harm. I know the drive letters are OK but force Windows to recalculate partition signatures by deleting all the subkeys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Reboot and see if Ghost recognizes your drives.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print