Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help: Bootable CD/DVD without Floppy errors? (Read 18598 times)
esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Help: Bootable CD/DVD without Floppy errors?
Jun 29th, 2009 at 12:28pm

I made a few modifications:

==================

Autoexec.bat
PATH=A:\;X:\
MOUSE.COM
MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEB01 /L:X /M:16 /V
GHOST32.EXE -CLONE,MODE=LOAD,SRC=X:\E264.GHO,DST=1 -SURE -RB

Config.sys
DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:OEB01
LASTDRIVE=Z

I get the errors:
Device driver not found: 'OEB01'
No valid CD-ROM device drivers selected

for ghost:
Bad command or filename

====================

What could the problem? I've been troubleshooting this for a long time

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Help: Bootable CD/DVD without Floppy errors?
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 8:49am

@
esco

Quote:
I get the errors:
Device driver not found: 'OEB01'
No valid CD-ROM device drivers selected

When you are booting to DOS, after the system goes through its *POST*, and just when you see a command line saying something to the effect that the system is *Loading blah blah blah....* the DOS OS--pressing the F8 key should bring up a menu screen which allows you to select a *step-by-step* loading of the command line files--config.sys and autoexec.bat--you will be presented with each command line and you have to press *Y* or *N* keys for confirmation to *yes* process the command, or *no* and skip that particular line.

Go through the DOS boot sequence *step-by-step* and confirm which command line gives that error.  I suspect it will be the config.sys line:  DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:OEB01

Most likely problem, your optical drive is not recognized by the *oakcdrom.sys* driver.  What optical drive do you have?  Is it newer or older--how old?  Is it an older style parallel IDE (PATA) connected device--or the newer standard of SATA?  Or, is it possibly a SCSI type drive?  Or USB?

Quote:
for ghost:
Bad command or filename

Quote:
GHOST32.EXE -CLONE,MODE=LOAD,SRC=X:\E264.GHO,DST=1 -SURE -RB

*ghost32.exe* is a Windows based program--it's designed to operate only in a command window within the Windows GUI--so you have to have some version of Windows up and running to use it.  The *32* means 32-bit program--which means a Windows based OS--DOS based programs are *16-bit* programs.  You can only use the *ghost.exe* program without the *32* in DOS!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 8:50am

I was able to fix the ghost section. I acquired a dos version of ghost 2003, and it looks like the commands execute properly. The problem is restoration fails since the device driver error still exists:

===================
This driver is provided by Oak Technologies,Inc..
OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM device driver, Rev D91XV352
(c)Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1987-1997
           Device Name   :  OEB01
           No drives found, aborting installating

====================
Could it be that I'm using a DVD-ROM drive instead of CD-ROM drive? I think this could be the issue..? If so whats the solution? How can I mount DVD-ROM drive instead of CD-ROM drive?

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 9:01am

Quote:
I suspect it will be the config.sys line:  DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:OEB01

Most likely problem, your optical drive is not recognized by the *oakcdrom.sys* driver.  What optical drive do you have?  Is it newer or older--how old?  Is it an older style parallel IDE (PATA) connected device--or the newer standard of SATA?  Or, is it possibly a SCSI type drive?  Or USB?

While I was busy thinking and typing about this you replied! Exactly what I was thinking! That may be the driver is not compatible with my drive. But how do I fix this because I'm using a DVD-ROM drive? Its actually a DVD multi-recorder...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 9:47am

@
esco

Quote:
What optical drive do you have?  Is it newer or older--how old?  Is it an older style parallel IDE (PATA) connected device--or the newer standard of SATA?  Or, is it possibly a SCSI type drive?  Or USB?

As the saying goes--*the devil is in the details*!  More info about you DVD drive!

Most DVD drives can be accessed using the DOS optical drive drivers--they allow access because they function as a CD drive as well--and their internal circuitry translates so the drive will work with DVD and CD discs in DOS--but a CD drive can not read a DVD!

What needs to be done depends on the answers to the above questions!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 10:06am

Quote:
What optical drive do you have?  Is it newer or older--how old?  Is it an older style parallel IDE (PATA) connected device--or the newer standard of SATA?  Or, is it possibly a SCSI type drive?  Or USB?

The drive is SATA

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 11:24am

@
esco

Quote:
The drive is SATA

Radified Forum Member *ben_mott* posted this information about a new DOS driver that works with the newer SATA optical drives.  *ben_mott* makes the statement that the SATA driver is backward compatible with IDE optical drives--but, from other posts I've seen, this appears to be an incorrect statement.  You would also have to load separately the IDE optical DOS drivers too if you also have that type of optical drive (Note--older source links for downloading appear to no longer work--below is a current *good* link:

Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM

Download *gcdrom.sys* here--v2.3 and v2.4 available!

Some additional resources:

GCDROM for DOS command line syntax

SATA optical drive & Ghost 2002 report

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 10:22am

Quote:
Radified Forum Member *ben_mott* posted this information about a new DOS driver that works with the newer SATA optical drives. 

Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM

Download *gcdrom.sys* here--v2.3 and v2.4 available!

Some additional resources:

GCDROM for DOS command line syntax

SATA optical drive & Ghost 2002 report

Thank very much
The drivers work flawlessly. I used gcdrom.sys 2.4. But I still have to get ghost working. I'm not yet successful with restoration. I get a ghosterr.txt error! Its a common error though with ghost.

And I had different situations in the past that caused this error. So this time I don't know what it could be?

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 2:06am

Quote:
I'm not yet successful with restoration. I get a ghosterr.txt error! Its a common error though with ghost.

And I had different situations in the past that caused this error. So this time I don't know what it could be?

Resolved! The image was created with a later version of ghost, and I tried to restore with an earlier version. I created the image with ghost 11 and I tried to restore this with ghost 8

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 3:18am

This is how my final files look like. I didn't make a lot of changes in the files that come with
gcdrom.sys
. I just made a few modifications to
config.sys
and
autoexec.bat
:

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
BREAK=OFF
DOS=HIGH
FILES=40
BUFFERS=40
LASTDRIVE=Z
SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P /E:1024
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000 /C0

AUTOEXEC.BAT

PATH=A:\;X:\
MOUSE.COM
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /L:X
GHOST.EXE -CLONE,MODE=RESTORE,SRC=X:\E261.GHO,DST=1 -SURE

I noticed a few differences (not sure, I think), that in NightOwl's guide; he configures the buffer,memory and the like in
autoexec.bat
. But here is in
config.sys
- that come with gcdrom.sys.

I think either way it works. Correct me if I'm wrong

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 9:47am

@
esco

Thanks for sharing your results--it's good to see examples of *what works*!

Quote:
he configures the buffer,memory and the like in autoexec.bat. But here is in config.sys- that come with gcdrom.sys

These are different memory configurations--mine are specifically for the *mscdex.exe*--these where the default settings from the Win98se boot disk.  Yours in *config.sys* are more general DOS memory configurations--may or may not be needed by *gcdrom.sys* to function properly--only testing by adding and/or removing the configurations would show what's necessary.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print