Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ghosted on different machine and will not load OS (Read 4893 times)
wangdaxi
Ex Member

ghosted on different machine and will not load OS
Jul 3rd, 2009 at 5:23am

Hi,

My HDD went crazy on my main machine, so I put the OS HDD into another machine, it came up as F Drive. I ghosted it to a file, then reghosted it onto another HDD to replace in my main machine. But of course this does not work at my main machine thinks this is F drive when it should be of course C drive.

What do I do?

I can access the HDD for editing files on my secondary machine, but do not know what to edit.

key info

both machines OS is winXPsp3

Both disks are identical SATA seagate drives. 1 is obviously very close to failure!

Hope you can help and try not to flame me if this answer is buried here somewhere already. I just could not think of what to search for.... search block?....

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: ghosted on different machine and will not load OS
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 9:29am

@
wangdaxi

It's always helpful to tell us which version of Ghost you are using.  And the procedure you have used--to just say you *ghosted* could mean several things--did you Ghost from within Windows--or booted to DOS, or ....?!  And, was it a *whole* drive procedure....or a partition procedure....or.....?!

Quote:
so I put the OS HDD into another machine, it came up as F Drive ...

But of course this does not work at my main machine thinks this is F drive when it should be of course C drive

Think this through for a moment--the only machine that thinks your drive is assigned the drive letter F is your secondary *other machine*--it is that machine's OS that is booted and active and has assigned and remembers the drive letter of that *bad* HDD in its *registry*--the registry of the failing HDD and OS are not active when hooked up to that other machine and has no *memory* of that the drive letter assignment!

Quote:
I can access the HDD for editing files on my secondary machine, but do not know what to edit.

What is the layout of your original HDD--how many partitions and in what order?  Is it an OEM machine from one of the *big* manufacturers--Dell, HP, ...--does it have any *hidden* utility or recovery partitions?

Bring up *boot.ini* from the root directory (F on your *other machine*) on the newly cloned HDD--you can open it with *Notepad*--copy and paste the contents to your response here so we can look at it,  and compare to your partition layout.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 5:50am

if it is XP boot with this bootable Cd and choose the partition with XP on.
once in windows check and repair boot.ini
http://rapidshare.com/files/193097497/xpbootcd.exe

Ben

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 10:05pm

@
ben_mott

Thanks for posting that link....but, a little more information would be helpful!

To simply click on a link and be taken to a download site and then clicking on the download button could be very risky computer behavior!  Who knows the source or the intention of the person who has posted that download?

Who created this boot disc?  Is it freeware, shareware, or pirated copyrighted software?

Is there a source that talks about the functions this boot disc offers?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print