Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can I clone just a single piece of installed software... (Read 4168 times)
homer simpson
Ex Member

Can I clone just a single piece of installed software...
Jul 8th, 2009 at 12:16pm

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to clone just 1 installed software rather than clone the whole pc.  I have heard of clonezilla. can clonezilla do that? thanks for your help.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Can I clone just a single piece of installed software...
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 1:11pm

@
homer simpson

Quote:
I would like to know if it is possible to clone just 1 installed software rather than clone the whole pc.

I've not seen any *cloning* program that work at the individual software level--some can work with files and directories--but if registry entries are involved--you will not have a functional program once you restore them!

Norton SystemWorks 2003 has a program called *Clean Sweep* that has *Backup Wizard* and *Restore Wizard* functions that would back up a single installed program and restore it!

I used it successfully to transfer a program that had been installed on a Win98se OS to my WinXP OS--on the same machine.  I was dual booting between the two OSs.  But, it's hard to say if it will work with all software, systems, and transfers.

Here's what the help file says about those functions: 

Quote:
The Norton CleanSweep Backup Wizard safely compresses infrequently used programs to provide more disk space. You can move the compressed backup to a new location or copy it to a different computer. Restore Wizard ensures that all of the program's related files are restored when you want to use the program again. It also restores registry values.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Re: Can I clone just a single piece of installed software...
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 2:34pm

NightOwl wrote on Jul 8th, 2009 at 1:11pm:
I used it successfully to transfer a program that had been installed on a Win98se OS to my WinXP OS--on the same machine.

that is kinda cool NightOwl... especially moving from 98 to XP. Thanks for the interesting info. was not aware of that.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print