Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie need help with ghost, clone, etc. (Read 8772 times)
five-eleven11
Ex Member

Newbie need help with ghost, clone, etc.
Jul 13th, 2009 at 1:27pm

Hi,
My name is Hendri. I am new to this forum and ghost thingy. I need huge favor in cloning my hard drive.

First, my goal/intention:
Use Ghost to create image-file of my primary hard drive which contain primary windows XP system and all applications i use a lot such as adobe, nero, winzip, etc to other hard drive. So that in case of crash or virus attack, I could restore the image-file without re-installing XP and other applications.

What I use/have:
-Symantec Ghost 11.0.1 Corporate edition (2 files, ghost.exe and ghost32.exe)
-Bootable USB (I made this from HP USB flash application)
-3 HDD:
1. Master, internal SATA, Seagate 80GB (free space 50 gb), no partition, NTFS
2. Slave for data, internal SATA, Maxtor 500 GB (free space 375 gb), no partition, NTFS
3. Slave for misc., reg. internal hard drive in Thermaltake enclosure connected to USB, Maxtor 250 GB (free space 88 gb), no partition, FAT32
-Windows XP Professional, version 2002, Service Pack 3
-Pentium Core duo 3.2 GHz
-3 GB of RAM
-DVD/CD RW (not sure what brand)
-Gygabite motherboard

My problems:
1. I can't use ghost32.exe on windows XP to clone my primary hard drive, it display an error "The source drive can't be locked". Of course it can't be locked because I am using it, so I create boot able USB and boot to DOS.

2. Using the bootable USB I successfully go to DOS, prompt C: which is my USB (not hard drive) and I can't see or use all my hard drive.

3. I tried to run Ghost.exe on DOS. It display "Load error: no DPMI memory."

Any help would be appreciated!!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Newbie need help with ghost, clone, etc.
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:27am

@
five-eleven11

Quote:
Symantec Ghost 11.0.1 Corporate edition (2 files, ghost.exe and ghost32.exe)

Your questions about the above version of Ghost are more appropriate in this forum.

Quote:
"Load error: no DPMI memory."

First time that error has been reported here.  Doing a Google search:  "Load error: no DPMI memory." shows that this seems to be related to Corporate Ghost and has been around for last 5-6 years since Ghost v8.xx.

Looks like it is a BIOS and *himem.sys* DOS memory manager incompatibility.  One posting suggested that using the version of *himem.sys* on the Win98se boot disc solved his problem.

Boot Disks

Choose the *Windows 98 SE OEM* file to download, execute the program file on a system with a floppy drive (it's okay if it's a WinXP system, etc.--the boot disk will be the original Win98 ERD (Emergency Recover Disk) regardless of the current OS and file system that you are using!), and supply a formatted floppy disk when requested.

You can then pull the *himem.sys* off the floppy disk and add/substitute it on your boot USB drive.  Add a line to *config.sys* if it's not already there:  DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS

Report back if that helped!

Quote:
2. Using the bootable USB I successfully go to DOS, prompt C: which is my USB (not hard drive) and I can't see or use all my hard drive.

Can't see your system's HDD--or can't see the whole size of the USB flash drive?  Most flash drive tools to make the flash drive bootable limit the size to 2 GB--a FAT DOS limitation.

Quote:
1. I can't use ghost32.exe on windows XP to clone my primary hard drive, it display an error "The source drive can't be locked". Of course it can't be locked because I am using it, so I create boot able USB and boot to DOS.

Some folks have used Barts PE and run *ghost32.exe* from the PE environment to Ghost their systems.  I'm not a Bart PE user so can't guide you there.  You could search the forum for posts about that, and/or post a separate question on using *ghost32.exe* with Barts PE.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Ex Member

Re: Newbie need help with ghost, clone, etc.
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 7:05am

Thanks Nightowl for your help!
i ended up using your last advice, Bart PE. I did a little bit research and it was quite easy to do it.
What I did was:
1. Download PE builder and build myself a Bart's PE bootable CD
2. Copy ghost32.exe to USB disc
3. Boot my computer using Bart's PE
4. run ghost32.exe..... done.

Bart's PE is a great tool to have handy. Thanks again!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print