Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restored image to new drive not booting (Read 4194 times)
BJB
Dude

I Love Radified!

Restored image to new drive not booting
Jul 18th, 2009 at 10:30pm

Greetings,

I am upgrading my Vista Ultimate laptop from a smaller drive to a 350GB drive. 

I installed the OS and programs myself when the PC was bought, however I also installed the Media direct utility which installs 2 hidden partitions.

I tried to image the C partition AND the two hidden partitions and Ghost froze..

So I just imaged the C drive.  Restored the image via the Ghost boot disc to the new drive.  It restored.....but upon reboot I got a blinking cursor.

I used an image vs., the copy command because I cannot have both drives attached to the laptop at the same time.

Now having used older versions of  Ghost for a long time, I was very surprised that it did not say something like "I am restoring to a larger drive, would you like to format as a larger drive, etc. etc..".  I was surprised that the vista startup disc showed my restored drive to be a 90 gig image/drive. 

I booted up with the Vista disc and tried a startup repair and it found my Vista OS on the new drive but said it found nothing wrong with my startup files.

Are these problems being caused by those hidden partitions I did not image??

I also now realize that since it seems to have created a C partition with the smaller 90GB or so size, that in order to get my 350GB the Vista "extend partition" utility will not work because it is the boot drive.  So I'll have to install and use partition magic or something?

So I don't understand why it does not boot...and also why it did not format and use the whole drive.  What did I do wrong?

The whole reason I used Ghost and not the Vista imaging utility is because that utility will NOT restore to a larger drive as near as I can tell.

I can't tell you how many times I have done this with Ghost 2003 Smiley

Thanks for any help...

BJB

IP Logged

BJB
Dude

I Love Radified!

Re: Restored image to new drive not booting
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 8:44am

One additional question.  Would I be better served to get a SATA to USB connector (this is a laptop) and use the drive clone option?

That seems to be the only way to get a true "complete drive" image with this new Ghost.  Storing to an image file seems to be more like the old "backup a partition" image.

My only concern with this is when I say make the disc I am copying to bootable, it will make my old disc (which I want to keep as a backup especially with the issues I am having) NOT bootable. 

A little confused...

BJB

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 9:48am

@
BJB

A few questions.....

Are you using Ghost 14?
Is this a Dell laptop?
Did it come with WinXP or Vista?
What size is your original HD?
Does the new HD show as 350 GB in the BIOS? Or 90 GB?
Where is the image of your OS stored?
Which Ghost options did you use when you restored the image to the 350 GB HD? (pages 158 - 159 in the Ghost 14 userguide)
Was the 350 GB HD unpartitioned when you restored the image using Ghost?

IP Logged

BJB
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 10:00pm

I never received a notification that anyone posted so never replied.  Sorry about that.

To answer the questions for others benifit:
Yes I was using Ghost 14.
Yes it is a Dell that I stripped and stored with my own OS...but as I said also installed the media direct program that creates a partition.

The new hard drive showed with the correct size in the bios and the image was on an external drive.  The new drive was bare and unpartitioned.

Here is the solution.... After much research, this is a common problem with Dell's.....even if you install fresh like I do, if you install the media direct option.

The solution was to use the "fix MBR" command after the restore from the vista rescue console command prompt.  That got me into windows..I then deleted the "hidden" or media direct partition and I got the full size of my drive back and all has been well.  And of course I did NOT re-install that media direct nonsense.

I still think the just ridiculous nature of the liveupdate Ghost patch process for this version of Ghose...CD in...CD out....spin around, hope it takes was ridiculous.  I certainly hope this is fixed in the next version. 

BJB

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print