Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost 2003 with external SATA drive (Read 33242 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Re: Using Ghost 2003 with external SATA drive
Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:31pm

hi NightOwl... thanks so much for your help!!

i just talked with tech support for the esata expresscard. he suggested trying to use the S13132.sys driver that is in the drivers folder of xp for the esata card i have...
or trying a SCSI dos driver, cuz when i have the sata drive connected/running, it shows under hdd in device mgr a SCSI device for this drive.

what kind of SCSI dos driver should i look for??

he didn't have any knowledge about what strings to put in either config.sys or autoex.bat file to get either of these to work... and i don't either.

any help you're willing to provide will be much appreciated Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 5:59pm

@
roxe

As I said...I have no experience with SCSI in DOS...so I don't know what exactly I'm looking for!

Here's a couple Google searches--and several items look promising...but, I don't know if they are *universal* drivers, or specific drivers--seems like your manufacturer's website for your specific expresscard device should have information on usage in DOS--but, maybe one of these drivers will work for your specific card????:

ASPI DOS driver

esata expresscard dos driver for

You might be able to narrow your search if you know the model name and number for your expresscard.  Also, if you know what controller chip is on the expresscard--that might narrow the search also.

And, problem is...I have now hardware to test any of these possibilities on...so not much help there!!!

I might be able to assist with command lines in DOS for loading in *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* if I know the basic information for the driver.

SCSI dos driver for hard drive

This seemed interesting from the above search:  ASPI with DOS

Quote:
i just talked with tech support for the esata expresscard. he suggested trying to use the S13132.sys driver that is in the drivers folder of xp for the esata card i have...

I can say this is just nonsense!!!  A WinXP driver has nothing to do with being booted into DOS!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 7:52pm

hi nightowl... yeah that guy really didn't know what he was talking about!  i went on the silicon image website and in support it shows that eSATA expresscards have no dos drivers from them. then i downloaded the laCie drivers and opened the .sys file in notepad and right at the top of the page it stated that this driver does not work in dos. (brian has the lacie expresscard and i wanted to see if maybe that one would work.)

so apparently silicon image isn't supporting dos at all.

on another forum, someone said they solved this problem with upgrading to ghost 9.

so for now i'll just keep using 2003 ghost with my usb ext ide drive.

if i made your ghost cd boot disk, could i possibly get faster results than 240 whatever using ghost to image??

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 9:38pm

My card is in a desktop. It's sold by Lacie but it is...

SiI3132 - PCI Express (1x) to 2 Port SATA300

http://www.siimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3&os=4

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 12:22pm

hi Brian,

did you read my post just above your last one? where the lacie driver states in the pwrsata.sys file that the driver does not work in dos??

you are saying that your lacie card works when you boot up using ghost 2003 into dos?? what files do you have on your ghost boot up disk?? did you need to tweak the autoexec or config files to get it to work?

my vantec card also has the sii3132 chip in it, but apparently vantec's driver is different than your lacie driver.. the page you gave me i had found earlier; each manufacturer does their own driver for si's chips...

maybe it would just be cheaper to get new mobo/proc and rebuild my tower... then i should be able to just keep using the ghost cd i have...

(s/h a smiley pulling hair out)  Grin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 4:44pm

roxe wrote on Jul 29th, 2009 at 12:22pm:
what files do you have on your ghost boot up disk?? 

I just put ghost.exe on a DOS boot disk. No switches or extra drivers.

roxe wrote on Jul 29th, 2009 at 12:22pm:
you are saying that your lacie card works when you boot up using ghost 2003 into dos

When I start my computer, immediately after the Dell splash screen I see

Sil 3132 SATALink BIOS Version 7.4.05
Copyright (C) 1997-2006 Silicon Image Inc.

Then the DOS disk commences to boot. Maybe your card doesn't have a BIOS.

Out of interest, can you see your eSATA HD from a VistaPE CD?

In Control Panel I have Silicon Image SATA Controllers. There is a tab for Flash BIOS. Do you have a Control Panel entry?

Is your card in this list?

http://www.siimage.com/support/index.aspx?pid=32&cid=3&;

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #21 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:16pm

Brian,
i have a control panel entry same as you.

my esata expresscard is made by Vantec...
it has the sii3132 bios chip.

since silicon image states that each manufacturer writes their own driver, apparently your card and mine have different drivers.

my os is xp pro sp3... i have no vista cd's... wouldn't use vista if you paid me Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:28pm

roxe, is there a BIOS update for your card?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:40pm

VistaPE disks are fantastic. They are not the Vista OS. This demo is one of the best.

http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

You can run Ghost from this disk using ghost32.exe. If you have it. You should be able to see your eSATA HD from this disk.

EDIT Forget that. I can't see my eSATA HD from that CD. I must have been thinking of Image for DOS. The IFD CD does see my eSATA HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 6:02am

I forgot that you can load a driver from a VistaPE recovery environment. Navigating to SI3132.inf allows you to see the eSATA HD from Active@BootDisk and from Ghost 14.

The Demo of  Active@BootDisk has several apps that you don't want to use anyway. But it has a "My Computer" function and the ability to run many Windows exe files including ghost32.exe and IFW. You can access and edit the registry of a non booting Windows. There are lots of useful tools.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #25 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 12:05am

Brian wrote on Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:28pm:
roxe, is there a BIOS update for your card? 

not that i know of...

Brian, i really appreciate all your help in this. i won't be pursuing this further, as i've ordered a mobo for my tower. i've got a sneaking suspicion it's the phoenix bios in my cheap laptop that is the culprit in all this.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 12:34am

@
roxe

Quote:
if i made your ghost cd boot disk, could i possibly get faster results than 240 whatever using ghost to image??

If you mean using the Panasonic DOS USB driver instead of the Ghost 2003 provided driver from Iomega--maybe!

I have seen reports of up to around 800 MB/sec min.  I seem to max out on my two systems at about 400 MB/sec min.  If I remember (it's been a long time now!), the Panasonic driver may have been 5-10% faster, but not really significantly--at least on my systems.

That 400 MB/sec min may be a system limitation--I did a speed test of transferring a large amount of data when booted into WinXP from internal HDD to external USB HDD--and it max out at about that same 400 MB/sec min!  You might want to test a large data transfer from within WinXP on your system from your internal HDD to your USB HDD--see what speed you get!

It seems to depend on the hardware involved--USB controller on the motherboard, CPU speed, bus speed, USB external HDD, internal HDD--they all interplay--only trying will answer the question on your particular system!

Edited:
Above I should have said *xxx MB/min* and not *xxx MB/sec* (I can only wish,right  Wink )!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 2:09am

NightOwl, were you transferring a large file or lots of small files? Transferring a large file from my internal HD to a USB external HD, I get 1500 MB/min. To an eSATA HD, I get 3000 MB/min. From internal HD0 to HD1, I get 5000 MB/min.

Creating an image of the OS partition to HD1 runs at 1300 MB/min.

The eSATA HD is half the size of the internal HDs and 1 to 2 years older. That's probably why it's slower.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #28 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 8:43am

@
Brian

Quote:
were you transferring a large file or lots of small files?

I used one of my Ghost image sets for my system.  So they were approx. 2 GB in size and about 8 files total.

My systems are from a by-gone era of around 2002!!!!

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #29 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 12:58pm

Just an update... gave up on the laptop (since I think the Phoenix bios is the problem) and got a new mobo, proc/fan and memory in my box... (it's such a pain figuring out a new bios  Cry)

Everything works, including my ghost cd  Grin

Thanks so much for all your help, Brian and NightOwl  Smiley  Sometimes one has to resort to other measures when cheap hardware doesn't support needed actions.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print