Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recovery CD problem. (Read 13412 times)
Sav
N00b

Recovery CD problem.
Jul 26th, 2009 at 3:36am

Hi,

I've been using Ghost 12 on an Asus P5E3 board (1201 bios ) with Intel mirror raid (7.5) to back up to a networked mirror raid IcyBox for ultimate security for about a year with no major problems.

I periodically use the revovery CD and Ghost back a fresh image to the raid set. All data files are set to point at 'My Documents, so I ghost back a 'Gold' copy of my opsys and put the latest 'My Documents' over the top. Then let Microsoft play at updating for a few hours and create a new 'Gold' backup.

I had a problem with NG12 continuingly disabling the backup with a 'System state does not match' (or similar). Did my normal restore and cured the problem. I then updated to the latest Asus beta Bios and Intel raid manager.

Problem is on checking my bootable CD it will no longer boot, gets as far as the Microsoft bar at the bottom then black screen, tried disabling the raid and get slightly further with a black screen and a mouse pointer that moves but nothing to point at.

Checked my recovery CD and it says all drivers OK. Created a new recovery CD from my original image and allowed NG12 to create the new CD with whatever drivers it wanted but still will not boot.

Ghost is happily backing up every day but the Sword of Damocles hangs poised if I get a sytem failure.

Anyone with a similar setup checked their bootable CD recently please? or any ideas?

Sav.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Recovery CD problem.
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 4:49am

@
Sav
The following may not be relevant to your situation. A friend had a dual boot WinXP and we thought one of the OS was corrupted. We tried to restore an image but the Ghost CD didn't boot. In fact, no WinPE CD would boot. After deleting the corrupt WinXP partition, all WinPE CD were able to boot.

Some suggestions. Unplug your HDs. Does the Ghost CD then boot? If so, can you restore an image to a new empty HD?

IP Logged

Sav
N00b

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 2:13pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

Got into deeper and deeper doo-doo now!

Made sure I'd got an extra backup tp a USB drive.
Split the raid and formatted each drive separately with a Bart WinPE CD.
Recreated the raid
Ghost recovery disk booted!!
Ran recovery from USB and got to 99% complete and there it  stayed for a couple of hours.
Rebooted and recovery CD will not boot, PE CD does not recognise HDD.
So I've abandoned the raid for the mo, left one HDD attached and am reinstalling Windows on that drive. Hopefully Recovery CD will allow me to recover the image then!!

Last Bios update had changes to raid manager, hence my suspicions. Board would not allow me to revert to old bios and I did not want to start playing with jumpers to clear the bios. Better to retreat at this stage and get a working non raid syatem (hopefully). I'll try and rebuild the raid when I've another day to spare.

Anyone with any bright ideas??

Sav

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Sav
N00b

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 5:00pm

And we're back at 99% again!

Leave well alone for tonight!

Sav

IP Logged

Sav
N00b

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 3:43pm

Finally out of the doo-doo.

Split the raid, deleted partition, reinstalled windoze, recovered from an earlier image this time and then latest data files.

Certainly don't like the way NG12 verified my recovery CD and then would not boot from it though the PC would boot from C: or that I could not recover my latest backup. Angry

Making sure I have a complete and working backup before trying to recreate the mirror raid!! Cool

Thanks for the advice.

Sav.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 11:00pm

Sav,

Confusing. What is your assessment of the problem?

IP Logged

Sav
N00b

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 1:12am

Hi Brian,

I don't know at present.

I had the problem a few weeks ago of NG12 refusing to run an incremntal backup, disabling the job each time with the "Disk (or system) not in the same state' message or similar. It would do a full volume copy then refuse to do an increment. That was resolved by a rebuild from my last 'Gold' image.

I then updated the  P5E3 bios from 1201 to 150x (x=3?)  and Intel raid manager to 8.5 from 7.5, suspicion has to lie around there. The NG12 recovery environment has to be more resilient than straight Windoze, not less  Angry.

I do still have the second disk, untouched (both about a year old 1TB Seagates). I am away for a long weekend this weekend so cannot afford the time to play more. After, I could put the second disk back in as a single master, see if it will boot from NG12 and do some diagnostics if not.

Revert Bios? Revert Intel Raid Manager? Any thoughts?

Sav.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 1:36am

Sav wrote on Jul 28th, 2009 at 1:12am:
Any thoughts?

Nothing useful.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 6:18pm

@
Sav

Quote:
I had a problem with NG12 continuingly disabling the backup with a 'System state does not match' (or similar). Did my normal restore and cured the problem. I then updated to the latest Asus beta Bios and Intel raid manager.

Problem is on checking my bootable CD it will no longer boot, gets as far as the Microsoft bar at the bottom then black screen, tried disabling the raid and get slightly further with a black screen and a mouse pointer that moves but nothing to point at.

When you boot from the *Recovery Environment* CD for Ghost 12, it has to have a driver for your system's HDD controller.  Sounds like the update to the BIOS and RAID may have created a *new* set of commands for the controller--and the bootable CD does not have the needed updated driver.  (I know you said you have created a new boot CD and that Ghost says everything is *up to date*--but, your experience seems to say otherwise!!!)

During boot, there is an *F6* option to add any new or missing drivers during boot--using a floppy drive, unfortunately!!! (do you have one?).  Maybe Ghost 12 is new enough that you can use other media to bring in a driver for that *F6* routine????

Get the most recent driver for your HDD controller, hook up a USB floppy, if needed, use that F6 procedure during initial boot and see if adding the driver solves the problem!

Do you have a WinXP installation CD?  After updating the BIOS and RAID--can you boot successfully from the WinXP installation CD?  Again, the *F6* may be needed!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print