Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windows 7 + Ghost 8 Bart PE (Read 31857 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Windows 7 + Ghost 8 Bart PE
Reply #15 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:35pm

Try asking your question in the Ghost Solution Suite forum.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/endpoint-management-virtualization/forums/ghost-...

Please let us know the answer.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #16 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 1:56pm

If i am correct, Ghost 8 doesnt support restore of Vista/Win 7 systems. It is not a reliable way to recover. With Ghost 11, it brought vista support. Since vista and win7 uses similar boot setup Ghost 11 would help in proper restoration.
There are some threads indicating that also on the forum.

It has to do with some disk signature restoration which is different in XP and Vista.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 5:21pm

Windows 7 is really (Vista+SP1+SP2)with user interface
set low by default in control pannel.
if the disc is the same and you recover ghost image it boots ok if you install a new HDD and use ghost image then it would not boot.
so boot in with a windows 7 boot disk either installation CD
or the on you made as an option in recovery and back up dialog box
and then choose repair boot as in Vista
this does not work if you are daul booting.
Ben

IP Logged

gavinh
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #18 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 3:07am

Hi Guys

I have managed to test using Ghost Solution Suite and can confirm Backup and Restore with Windows 7 Professional.

Ghost 8 does work if you make the edits to the BCD data but that is a step which I don't wish to take on every restore procedure.

Thanks all for your help, and hope this information helps others too.

Regards
Gav Smiley

IP Logged

KevinF
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 3:05pm

Hi Gav,
I am trying to use ghost v8 with Windows 7 and but I have to boot to the OS DVD to repair the install.  I dont have any issues with Vista. Can you tell me what edits I need to make to the BCD to get it to work.  I tried the ones that I did for Vista but they dont help, maybe I am missing one? (With Vista I made the BCD edits before I make the image, so I dont have to do it after, hope I can do that with Windows 7)

Thanks
Kevin

gavinh wrote on Aug 28th, 2009 at 3:07am:
Hi Guys

I have managed to test using Ghost Solution Suite and can confirm Backup and Restore with Windows 7 Professional.

Ghost 8 does work if you make the edits to the BCD data but that is a step which I don't wish to take on every restore procedure.

Thanks all for your help, and hope this information helps others too.

Regards
Gav Smiley 

IP Logged

gavinh
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #20 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 5:15am

Hi Kevin

I found the following BCD commands worked with Windows 7.

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
bcdedit /set {default} device partition=C:
bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=C:

(The c: information is variable and depends on what is mounted at the time of making these changes)

However this is post deployment of the image compared to Windows Vista whereby you could set this information prior to taking an image.

To get this to work I had to boot back into BartPE after deploying the image and getting the failure message. Load the command prompt from BartPE.
Navigate to the system32 directory and enter the above information.

It may be easier or quicker to run the repair from the Win7 DVD.
I however managed to get the sign off for upgrading my Ghost licenses and shouldn't have to do this any more.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #21 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 7:23am

I think ghost 8 doesnt support vista/win7 restoration. the topic is put in the important topics category
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1170184062

If you are able to restore/backup using ghost 8 consider yourself lucky.

Ghost 11 is able to restore/backup vista properly though ghost 11.5 is officially certified vista compatible. I read on forum, (thing Nigel posted) saying there was some prob in liveupdate of ghost solution in v2.0 (ghost 11) due to which it wasnt vista certified. This was resolved in ghost solution v2.5 (ghost 11.5).

With win7, there is additional recovery partition involved. On a fresh disk, the setup by default creates a 100 MB partition, whereas in a existing parition environment it doesnt. I am not sure even ghost 11.5 take that in consideration.

A possible conflicting case i can think of is:
I have this recovery+Win7 partition. I backup the Win7 partition. Now i try to restore on a different computer with same hardware using this image. Here the BCD information is stored in recovery partition (which i didnt copy), hence after recovery my system may not boot.

IP Logged

gavinh
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #22 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 5:06am

If you do a Disk to Image backup this should work as it would copy the recovery partition too.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print