Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is this guy doing? (Read 4175 times)
Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

What is this guy doing?
Aug 15th, 2009 at 11:13am

Here's a head scratcher, and something to really get you wondering what on earth sort of Frankenstein set-up do I have.  It's really simple at first glance.  Does anyone know of an adapter that will let me plug an external (USB) hard drive into my computers HDD connector, and thus boot from the external drive, i.e. it would be a USB to SATA adapter, going into the computer motherboard.

IP Logged

JimE
Ex Member

Re: What is this guy doing?
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 11:42am

I can't answer your specific question, but I boot from my external USB harddrive ocassionally.  I just change the boot order in the BIOS and voila - my bootable USB drive (I had to make it bootable) is what boots.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: What is this guy doing?
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 12:07pm

Most adapters are the opposite .. meaning they let you take an SATA drive and mount it in an external case so it can be connected to a USB port.

Never heard of the opposite .. mounting a USB drive to an SATA connetion.

Seems, if the drive mounted in your USB device is SATA, you might be able to strip away the surrounding USB-related components and mount the SATA drive by itself .. by purchasing an extra SATA cable ..

.. but it would be easier, it seems, to just purcahse another SATA drive .. which is what most ppl do. It would be faster, too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print