Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Recomendations please, new to partioning (Read 47369 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Recomendations please, new to partioning
Reply #30 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 4:21am

Use nLite to remove services or to integrate SP3 if you need it but don't integrate any other mass storage packs, only the one mentioned in the links.

jpw wrote on Sep 6th, 2009 at 3:23am:
Text mode option

It's in one of the graphics in the third link I posted. Don't ask me to explain what it means but I gather it is important.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #31 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 8:56am

@
jpw

Quote:
tablet is a hp tx2z w/ 500gb hd

My previous question:

Quote:
Can you show us the link to the download for the HDD controller drivers for your system

And your answer:

Quote:
Nightowl, I used the link provided in the BING XP tutorial.

I'm confused.  When it comes to drivers for a system's HDD controller, I expected a link to the manufacturer's website drivers download section specific to your system's model #!!! 

But, you say the link is available in the *BING XP tutorial*!?  Can you copy and paste that link here--I'm  not sure we're talking apples/apples--oranges/oranges!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #32 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 9:40am

@
Brian

Sorry to jpw--but off topic....

Quote:
You jogged my memory. I've used nLite a few times to add SATA drivers. Not for anything else.

So, if I'm reading this right, you never had reason to try booting to the Recovery Console--so you don't know if that was disabled or not when you used nLite in the recent past--correct?

Quote:
Back on topic. I tried to install another WinXP. The CD couldn't see the HD. I slipstreamed a driver pack and that didn't work. I found the following method which did add correct drivers but at the expense of not having a Recovery Console.

I checked those links and skimmed the tutorial.  So, the three links you listed below that comment--those procedures work without using nLite--or, is nLite still required?

And, regardless of whether nLite was used or not--you lost the Recovery Console option--correct?

Well, in a spare moment--I did some Google searching and found this thread:

can't repair xp

Looks like there are several possibilities for retaining the Recovery Console function when using nLite:

1.  Reply # 4--there is apparently an *undocumented* function of pressing F10 when the WinXP installation program first begins to setup and you get the notice at the bottom line saying to press *F6* to install additional drivers.  Pressing F10 at this point (instead of F6), apparently takes you to the Recovery Console!

I found a couple more comments elsewhere about this, but never anything *official*--I will have to try this next time I have time to work with this!

2.  Reply #2 talks about a *Manual Install and Upgrade component*--so maybe there is an option to select, as part of setting up nLite, to bypass the *unattended* option--but, no one ever really confirms that later in the thread.

3.  And reply #11--apparently if you delete the [UNANTENDED] section of the WINNT.SIF text file that nLite creates as part of its functions--you will then get the *normal* options using the installation disc of being able to select going to the Recovery Console.

Seems like the F10 option is the easiest solution, if that works!!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #33 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 9:43am

@
Brian

Again--off topic:

Quote:
I had read about installing OS from USB flash drives but just to set up the flash drives is so time consuming that I used optical media. I could have installed three Win7 OS in the time it takes to prepare a flash drive.

I'm curious--what's the big time issue--do you have to modify the setup files--or is it the time it takes to make the flash drive bootable--or......???

Link to that procedure?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #34 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 4:14pm

@
NightOwl

http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

It was the prolonged time to copy the files from the DVD to the flash drive. Over 90 minutes. The flash drive was a 4 GB SanDisk Titanium. A good drive.

I made the Win7 flash drive but didn't use it.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 4:27pm

@
NightOwl

I found a couple of WinXP CDs.

A nLite CD I made a year ago with SP3 and SATA drivers for my desktop computer. The Recovery Console works.

Another CD that I made 2 months ago for my netbook. It was based on a SP3 CD (not the above CD) but I don't know whether nLite or AutoStreamer was used for the slipstream. The above driver pack was added to this CD. The Recovery Console is not accessible from this CD. As you mentioned, I'd not tried to access the Recovery Console in the past so I can't be certain but on the basis of these two CDs, it is probably the BTS mass storage drivers pack that breaks the Recovery Console, not nLite.

I lost interest in this topic after I borrowed a USB floppy drive and could use a F6 floppy disc and an old CD without having to use the BTS mass storage drivers pack. I used the driver pack because I didn't know which drivers were needed but I later found that Asus had supplied the correct drivers on a CD. Then I tried the floppy option.

IP Logged

jpw
Dude

Allways learning

Hi

Reply #36 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 7:00pm

Nightowl,

I am sure there are many times I misunderstand you guys and other times I give you the wrong info or use the wrong lingo. Thank you for your patience, PC and software lingo is new to me. I can troubleshoot/ repair hardware with schematics,meters, and scopes especially automotive and other sraight up DC applications even CAN bus and other networks but this stuff is greek to me.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-xp-sata.htm ;     is what I use to make the XPlite disc that worked ok on my netbook.

Off topic or not I am learning thank to you guys responing, I wish I had time to ansewr quicker / oftener.

HP has not let met send back the tablet back yet. They have had me reseat the HD and memory. I swaped the memory with one I had from my toshiba laptop. None of this got me any different results. HP tech had me run the start up diagnostics and it passed both memory and HD tests even though it Failed the memtest86 which the tech had never heard of, is that a bad sign?

Do you think the fact that the HP vista machine was ordered with 64bit could be part of the problem?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #37 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 7:34pm

@
jpw

I'm getting lost in detail too.

Just how, when, where, is your computer failing? Is it doing some things normally?

IP Logged

jpw
Dude

Allways learning

Hi

Reply #38 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 8:29pm

works fine in vista. If I try to boot to new partition created with BING I get "boot sector does not support its location on HD", full XP install goes to settinr up windows screens then says..." windows shut down no mods to system" and "stop error 7b"or something see above post pg2, XPlite only has dull gray back lit sceen w/no text after press any key to install from cd.

Memory has passed start up tests as well as HD, but mem fails memtest86 at 46% of 1st test.
   I tried other memory and reseat HD with no improvements.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 10:25pm

jpw wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 8:29pm:
but mem fails memtest86 at 46% of 1st test. 

Is that about 1 second after Memtest starts? Does the app stop running? With the failures I've seen, the app keeps running and generating errors.

Are you using Memtest86+ v2.11? Does the CD work OK in other computers?

IP Logged

jpw
Dude

Allways learning

Hi

Reply #40 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:09am

More than 1 second but not long, it does seem to stop running. using origianal memteat86 ver 3.5, works well in other computers.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #41 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:21am

@
jpw

Humour me. Could you try Memtest86+ v2.11? Just the standard settings. I've had false positives with Advanced settings.

IP Logged

jpw
Dude

Allways learning

Hi

Reply #42 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:24am

Will do, unlikely to be tonight though.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #43 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:26am

Thanks. It's just that your computer is doing such weird things.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print